THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery My Euro Delivery Experience

12-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
mediocre003
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Post My Euro Delivery Experience

I thought I would leave this as a record of my experiences so that future ED pursuers have yet another point of reference.

August 1-8
Research & Test Drive. Decided to go with European Delivery.

2015 M235i
8spd Auto Trans
Estoril Blue Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Aluminum Hexagon trim with Blue Highlights
Driver Assistance Package
Technology Package
Anti-theft alarm

August 9
Visited the local BMW dealership to get things started. Having worked with this BMW before, I requested my previous salesperson and was denied because she was now selling cars at the Volkswagen next door (same ownership). Settled for a new salesperson who told me that they were no longer offering the aluminum hexagon trim on the 2015 M235i.

August 12
Established communication with the next nearest BMW dealership

August 14-15
Put down a deposit, confirmed build sheet (with aluminum hexagon trim)

August 21
Submitted pick-up dates (9/29-10/10)

August 30
Confirmed PIA: splitter, diffuser, performance exhaust & chrome tips
This part took a while because they were trying to charge me $2,975 when they were listed on ShopBMWUSA at $1900 total. They told me that this was due to the cost of install when I had read that PIA install was at no additional charge. We settled at $1975.

September 3
Confirmed pick-up date of 10/22

September 22
Traded in my 2011 135i, financed the M235i

September 28
BMWNA hotline confirms that production has finished.

October 22
Pick-up in Munich

October 27
Drop-off in Amsterdam

November 4
Made my first monthly payment

November 6
My vessel, the Columbian Highway (K Line) departed Bremerhaven

November 22
The Columbian Highway departed Brunswick (my port of entry)

November 24
Released from customs

December 2
Released to the trucking company (Hansen&Adkins)

December 4
Second monthly payment

December 11
Wash and pick-up!

FAQ
1. How much did you pay for the car?
Just under $50,000 (with PIA).

2. Was it worth it?
I'm really glad that I took the opportunity to do Euro Delivery because it was such a unique experience, but I will never do it again.

3. Why not?
a. BMWs are big cars in Europe, even the 2-series fills up the parking spots pretty well. I was constantly worried about getting dings and scratches on the first brand-new car I had ever owned.
b. I was there during my break-in period which meant that I was limited on my speed and RPM (though some would argue that it doesn't stop them).
c. I have not had a car since September 22.
d. Nobody seems to care about me or my car now that it's been paid for. The shipping companies refuse to speak to me, BMWNA denies having any ability or responsibility, the dealership considers me a nuisance and I have no recourse.

4. Do you regret doing ED?
No. If you have the opportunity to do it, then do it, even if only once.

5. Did you enjoy the drugs and hookers in Amsterdam?
I'm more of a cheese and history kind of guy

6. Then why did you get an M235i?
Because I like going sideways

7. Then why did you get an Automatic Transmission?
Because I'm lazy

Last edited by mediocre003; 12-29-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Haha, nice review! I like how you detailed all the steps involved in ED. They should add it to their sticky.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocre003 View Post
August 9
[...]Settled for a new salesperson who told me that they were no longer offering the aluminum hexagon trim on the 2015 M235i.

August 12
Established communication with the next nearest BMW dealership

I thought that piece was funny.

Really sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the ED experience. Mine was polar opposite. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but my trip was conceived three years ago and I took a full year to plan it out. My salesperson, Jon Shafer, at BMW Santa Barbara was absolutely magnificent to work with and always answered my questions, sent me e-mails asking how my trip was going and kept me up to date with the redelivery. I was lucky that I had no damage in Europe and the car arrived in around 47 days to the west coast from Amsterdam, where I dropped off. Either way, I absolutely loved my trip... I even got a flat tire on the way to Berlin from Prague...
      12-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
mediocre003
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
Haha, nice review! I like how you detailed all the steps involved in ED. They should add it to their sticky.
Thanks! Posts like this one helped me create an estimated time table, so even if it just goes into the archives, I hope that it can help someone get through their wait period

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post

I thought that piece was funny.

Really sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the ED experience. Mine was polar opposite. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but my trip was conceived three years ago and I took a full year to plan it out. My salesperson, Jon Shafer, at BMW Santa Barbara was absolutely magnificent to work with and always answered my questions, sent me e-mails asking how my trip was going and kept me up to date with the redelivery. I was lucky that I had no damage in Europe and the car arrived in around 47 days to the west coast from Amsterdam, where I dropped off. Either way, I absolutely loved my trip... I even got a flat tire on the way to Berlin from Prague...
I think that I may have enjoyed it more if I had spent more time in Europe and had an opportunity to see Prague or Austria, but due to the time of year I went, I was too worried about getting caught in snowy weather in the mountains. I did enjoy driving through Germany, their road systems are so amazingly well designed compared to ours. Next time I drive through any part of Europe, I think I may be more relaxed in a rental.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Excellent post. I share a few of your thoughts on the ED experience but I'll probably do it again if I choose an M2 (and a painful wait into 2016) or an M235 which I'd order this coming spring.
      12-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
mediocre003
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Excellent post. I share a few of your thoughts on the ED experience but I'll probably do it again if I choose an M2 (and a painful wait into 2016) or an M235 which I'd order this coming spring.
Thanks! I considered waiting on the M2 myself, but I decided that the M235 has just the right balance of performance and luxury for my needs. I'd imagine that Spring is a better time to do ED than Fall, just based on the fact that most places were closed by 3:00 in the off season, and the sun was down by 6:30.
Appreciate 0