THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum drive train warning -100 miles?

09-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
HowardM
Banned
Rep
Drives: Mercedes clk

drive train warning -100 miles?

MY 228i warning light came on as the car started to jump and move and could not accelerate. This happened yesterday. BMW says,,"you were very low on gas"this caused it". Yes, indeed I mistakenly let it get low but this happened early in the day when more than half a tank was available. Unusual for them not to be able to get the computer warning on again when servicing ....as this should not happen to new car 3 days old??? Need some input. When I pick it up tomorrow, I do not want to have to have it towed again....if it happens again.....HELP!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Kristalov
Dr. K
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 718 GT4RS,'19 F82, '24 G87

Garage List
Was this your engine malfunction light that came on?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardM View Post
MY 228i warning light came on as the car started to jump and move and could not accelerate. This happened yesterday. BMW says,,"you were very low on gas"this caused it". Yes, indeed I mistakenly let it get low but this happened early in the day when more than half a tank was available. Unusual for them not to be able to get the computer warning on again when servicing ....as this should not happen to new car 3 days old??? Need some input. When I pick it up tomorrow, I do not want to have to have it towed again....if it happens again.....HELP!
Howard, so what did they say when you told them the light first came on when you had far more fuel? It's possible that the OBD system stored a code for a misfire, and the technician (incorrectly) assumed it was caused by the very low fuel level he found when he examined your car (because he was not aware the car had far more fuel when the light came on). A very low fuel level could definitely cause the light to come on (although apparently that's not what happened with your car).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
Howard, so what did they say when you told them the light first came on when you had far more fuel? It's possible that the OBD system stored a code for a misfire, and the technician (incorrectly) assumed it was caused by the very low fuel level he found when he examined your car (because he was not aware the car had far more fuel when the light came on). A very low fuel level could definitely cause the light to come on (although apparently that's not what happened with your car).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715
Quote:
Being low on gas doesn't cause a engine check light by itself.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Yes, but he said VERY low on gas. If it got to the point where the car was very close to being out of gas, at a point where the fuel pump might not be able to maintain spec pressure 100% of the time, it definitely could set an OBD code and turn the light on. I'm embarrassed to admit to it, but I've done it on two different cars, where the engine was starting to run rough as I pulled into the gas station. It's not a good habit as modern automotive fuel pumps are designed to be cooled by the fuel itself. In any event I'm curious to hear from Howard what the dealer did after he (assumedly) told them the problem started when the tank had far more fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Yeah I feel bad when I get down below 15 miles or so left. It can also clear itself out if it is something simple like a loose gas cap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
Yes, but he said VERY low on gas. If it got to the point where the car was very close to being out of gas, at a point where the fuel pump might not be able to maintain spec pressure 100% of the time, it definitely could set an OBD code and turn the light on. I'm embarrassed to admit to it, but I've done it on two different cars, where the engine was starting to run rough as I pulled into the gas station. It's not a good habit as modern automotive fuel pumps are designed to be cooled by the fuel itself. In any event I'm curious to hear from Howard what the dealer did after he (assumedly) told them the problem started when the tank had far more fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Sure. I imagine the computer fault codes are there.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I feel bad when I get down below 15 miles or so left. It can also clear itself out if it is something simple like a loose gas cap.
Yes, even if you get the light because you run it out of fuel, the OBD system will shut the light off after you run the engine through a certain number of cycles without any further faults being detected.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
+1
      09-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
HowardM
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristalov View Post
Well guys....the dealer says " we checked everything and all is fine". I said "this definitely happened earlier in day and the car just started shaking and non accelerating...its bit scary on new car. I see other bmw models are having drivetrain warnings...this is not something out of the blue. I told him if it happens again, I will have them pick it up and tow it and have them drive me home. And I am afraid to say...I hope I do not have to use the california lemon law.....just what I need....well I am going today to get the car. By the way, the car got low on gas cause I was messed up mentally as to what happened and wanted to get the car home. What the service advisor thinks of this is no consequence to me
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
HowardM
Banned
Rep

drivetrain 228i

Quote:
yes shark. Picking car up today...he says all is fine and well. I can only suspect......this might happen again. Other model bmw posts are showing this to be a problem going around. Here is a great new car and look what it starts out to be...an ugly and depressing experience. Also, this type of situation is scaring my wife especially when you are on highway or lonely road.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
HowardM
Banned
Rep

drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristalov View Post
No...Kristalov...the computer screen display: Your drivetrain may be malfunctioning please drive slowly or cautiously.....
Then when it happened later on again.....as I was learning the stop start electric system(never used it before) as well as fidgeting with the gigantic amount of computer navigation and settings I had to learn...I did, indeed, forget to go to get more gas....but this happened with more than half a tank earlier in the day...picking car up today....
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
Kristalov
Dr. K
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 718 GT4RS,'19 F82, '24 G87

Garage List
I know that there was a recent recall on the N55 engines in regards to the vanos bolts sheering and losing power to the drivetrain. If this happens the error message will appear on the nav display and usually the car shakes and sputters really bad and eventually loses all power. I know from experience as this happened to me in my 2011 X5 last year. Scary Shiznit!!. However I don't recall seeing this on the 228i.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #15
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Carrera S, 2023 BMW M2

Do you have an automatic transmission ?

Wondering if this is the "limp mode" ?

2014 911 Carrera S, Agate grey, black int, 7spd manual

2019 M2C, HKS, 6 spd Manual. (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Always record or take pics with your phone....
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #17
HowardM
Banned
Rep

new 228i OK SO FAR drive train warning

Well, just drove home 50 miles and things seem alright with drivetrain computer screen warning. Moonlight silver and track package to boot. Interesting as it seems, my loaner 328i was much more fun to drive than I thought! It had a sport setting and the steering seemed just as full and firm as the 228i (in certain drive modes). The 328 might be just as fast from a moderate throttle start! One thing...it is a bit heavier and has what I would call a more "Planted down" feeling while my car is more spirited to maneuver and also has larger sport wheels (touch firmer)
Another thought. The 3 series in COMFORT mode feels a bit loose in the steering. But put it in the SPORT mode and it is tight and heavier than I imagined from years past. This all has something to do with the 228i's adjustable sport steering I would presume. The 228i in SPORT+ mode feels as tight in the steering as the 3 series does in the sport??? (Is this possible/) Yet put the 3 series in COMFORT AND everything loosens up. In contrast, the 228 in comfort has a tighter slow ride steering than the 3 series. This is a bit confusing as I contemplate the 2 rides on my way back home with my 228i. So far, I enjoy my car in SPORT mode...and even more in SPORT plus....except the ride gets a bit firmer, as compared to the 3 series ride. Does anyone have any interesting comments or theories on this?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #18
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

SPORT and SPORT+ are the same but for DTC on in sport+ so unless you are going sideways they should feel the same
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #19
HowardM
Banned
Rep

Sport plus

Indeed, Sport plus gives a slightly harder ride as I feel it. On the other hand, the most comfortable ride is in Comfort....and the steering is not to bad especially at faster speeds in this mode. What surprised me, however, was the 3 series firm and heavy steering in its sport mode, while the suspension and smaller tires give it a smoother ride.....I will be contemplating that for a while.....
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #20
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

well what I'm saying is that SPORT is same as SPORT+ only difference is DTC on in sport+ ,so ride should be exactly the same

afik there are only 2 settings for susp and steering... comfort and sport
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #21
HowardM
Banned
Rep

I hear you

Theoretically, they should be the same...THEY ARE NOT..take some more time analyzing the drive (in a safe area of course and keep your eyes on road) and feel the different settings....
Appreciate 0