THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Transmission not in Park error

12-15-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
MessageMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M 235i

Transmission not in Park error

2016 M235i. While driving on the freeway today in heavy traffic in Eco Pro mode to save a few drops of gas, I had forgotten to switch off the auto start/stop as I normally do when I switch down to EP. I remembered this just as I had neared the stop and I think that the car came to a stop as I hit the button accidentally. The orange light indicating the start/stop is off came on and then, with the car completely stopped and my foot on the brake, an error/warning appeared on the iDrive display reading something along the lines of "Transmission not in Park, vehicle may roll away."

I was in a merge lane and it started moving from standstill as I frantically tried to diagnose and resolve the issue. I think I put my foot down on the brake and then started the engine and then rolled right away. I can't imagine this was good for the engine, can anyone offer insight?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 02:52 AM   #2
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here but... From what I remember, the start stop function is always active in eco pro mode, regardless of the dash button position.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessageMan View Post
2016 M235i. While driving on the freeway today in heavy traffic in Eco Pro mode to save a few drops of gas, I had forgotten to switch off the auto start/stop as I normally do when I switch down to EP. I remembered this just as I had neared the stop and I think that the car came to a stop as I hit the button accidentally. The orange light indicating the start/stop is off came on and then, with the car completely stopped and my foot on the brake, an error/warning appeared on the iDrive display reading something along the lines of "Transmission not in Park, vehicle may roll away."

I was in a merge lane and it started moving from standstill as I frantically tried to diagnose and resolve the issue. I think I put my foot down on the brake and then started the engine and then rolled right away. I can't imagine this was good for the engine, can anyone offer insight?
I think it's a bug in the stop/start logic. I had a similar occurrence in my wife's 18 X1 except it was in normal mode. Car started to auto stop and I hit the button to turn it off. The car shut off and I got the same warning. It was at a light so I threw it in park and restarted it.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
Xi-Xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast228i View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here but... From what I remember, the start stop function is always active in eco pro mode, regardless of the dash button position.
I don't believe so. Not in my car, anyway. When the auto-start "off" button is lit up in eco-pro, auto-start is disabled.
Appreciate 0