THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Newbie Fuelling Question

12-09-2017, 11:33 PM   #1
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Newbie Fuelling Question

Hi all,

One day, my friend told me that you cannot overfill your gas tank, it is really bad for some kind of sensor inside, but I do this all the time because I always pay with cash and by doing that I get lesser change back ($58-$60, $54-$55). But is my friend right? That I have been destroying some kind of sensor in my gas tank by filling up half a litre more gas?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
Hi all,

One day, my friend told me that you cannot overfill your gas tank, it is really bad for some kind of sensor inside, but I do this all the time because I always pay with cash and by doing that I get lesser change back ($58-$60, $54-$55). But is my friend right? That I have been destroying some kind of sensor in my gas tank by filling up half a litre more gas?
You have been drowning the evaporative canister in gasoline designed to prevent fumes from escaping by topping off the tank. When the handle first clicks off, that's the time to stop.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 12:22 AM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

The evaporative system can be damaged and require repair if raw fuel reaches the carbon filter. There should be a check valve to stop this happening, but it is only a risk if fuel is forced into the system after the pump cuts off on the first click when filling the fuel tank.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 12:49 AM   #4
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You have been drowning the evaporative canister in gasoline designed to prevent fumes from escaping by topping off the tank. When the handle first clicks off, that's the time to stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The evaporative system can be damaged and require repair if raw fuel reaches the carbon filter. There should be a check valve to stop this happening, but it is only a risk if fuel is forced into the system after the pump cuts off on the first click when filling the fuel tank.
Thanks, I am going to stop overfilling the gas tank, but what are the signs of a failing "evaporative canister" because if anything happens to the it, WARRANTY!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 01:15 AM   #5
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Check engine light with an evaporative system failure code(s), engine stalling and limp mode are possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I am going to stop overfilling the gas tank, but what are the signs of a failing "evaporative canister" because if anything happens to the it, WARRANTY!!!
Unfortunately not....will be a clear indication of not following the owner directions not to top off the tank.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Not worth the risk to save a few $$ and void the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately not....will be a clear indication of not following the owner directions not to top off the tank.
What direction?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What direction?
Owner's manual.

Attached Images

Last edited by Sportstick; 12-10-2017 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      12-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Not worth the risk to save a few $$ and void the warranty.
I'm not sure how overfilling the tank could save money, since fuel economy is unrelated to tank capacity. Maybe I missed your point? :

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #11
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Quote:
This is correct. I have an F10 and was going to bring it in thinking the charcoal canister was plugged. SA told me exactly that - if there is evidence of overfilling it is NOT covered under warranty.
      12-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
I'm not sure how overfilling the tank could save money, since fuel economy is unrelated to tank capacity. Maybe I missed your point? :
I think it's a desire about not having much change to carry around...he rounds closer to the next dollar bill increment he's carrying. Of course, a credit card would be a simple solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 06:45 PM   #13
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

The only way to find out how much the car's computer is exaggerating your gas mileage is to fill it until it won't take any more. I've done that several times on trips with every car I've owned and never had a problem.

I also learned that pumps vary a lot - after the first click there's between 2 and 10 liters of space left. For a car with a small gas tank that can affect range significantly. Except when I'm checking consumption I run it at half speed after the first click until it clicks twice again. Then there's usually near 2 liters of space left.

I think the only real issue is that the gas comes out of the ground cold. If you fill right up and drive only a short distance before parking it there isn't enough space in the tank to hold the gas as it expands while warming to ambient.

Anyone know what "eslide" means?
      12-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #14
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
The only way to find out how much the car's computer is exaggerating your gas mileage is to fill it until it won't take any more. I've done that several times on trips with every car I've owned and never had a problem.

I also learned that pumps vary a lot - after the first click there's between 2 and 10 liters of space left. For a car with a small gas tank that can affect range significantly. Except when I'm checking consumption I run it at half speed after the first click until it clicks twice again. Then there's usually near 2 liters of space left.

I think the only real issue is that the gas comes out of the ground cold. If you fill right up and drive only a short distance before parking it there isn't enough space in the tank to hold the gas as it expands while warming to ambient.

Anyone know what "eslide" means?

So if I continue to fill my tank after the first click, it is going to click twice when it's almost full?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So if I continue to fill my tank after the first click, it is going to click twice when it's almost full?
No, it's one click each time the pump stops, but the sound of that second click will be you covering a non-warranty repair at some point. Despite the owner's manual, you're still pursuing this course of action?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #16
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No, it's one click each time the pump stops, but the sound of that second click will be you covering a non-warranty repair at some point. Despite the owner's manual, you're still pursuing this course of action?
No I am not, I just want to convince myself that I was not damaging my car
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No I am not, I just want to convince myself that I was not damaging my car
The reality is that you did damage your car if you filled up to the point where the canister became full of gasoline. However, given that gasoline is volatile, it may have evaporated, depending on how much and how often. This, we will never know. If you stop the practice, and just drive and no driveability issues arise and the Check Engine Light is off, you probably escaped unharmed for the long term.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #18
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

the car thinks it knows its mpg. is it wrong?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #19
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

It 'knows' mpg by having good measurement of how much fuel gets injected (and by my #'s this is pretty accurate). But it is fairly wonky about range remaining - a combo of guessing how much is left in the tank, and what your mpg will be (I think it guestimates using your lower recent mileage - on long highway trips w/ higher average, it shows longer range for about the same amount of remaining fuel). I doubt that it has a very accurate way to measure tank contents.

Not worth the risk, IMHO. I sympathize with wanting a few more miles from this tiny little tank, and I think there are some safeguards that at least try to prevent sloshing out, but the hassles of plugging an evap canister will make it seem like a huge waste.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #20
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Of course the car "knows" how much gas you used and how far you traveled. But, does it tell you the truth or some % better as demanded by marketing? For example, my '05 Altima gave 5% worse mileage on the highway and 10% worse in town than the computer claimed. The only car I've had that was right on is my '01 Corvette, probably because the mileage is so amazingly good that there's no need to lie about it.
Tpeterson156.50
      12-12-2017, 03:02 AM   #21
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
Of course the car "knows" how much gas you used and how far you traveled. But, does it tell you the truth or some % better as demanded by marketing? For example, my '05 Altima gave 5% worse mileage on the highway and 10% worse in town than the computer claimed. The only car I've had that was right on is my '01 Corvette, probably because the mileage is so amazingly good that there's no need to lie about it.
They are changing the way they get these numbers to reflect much more accurate ones, especially for the ones claimed by the factory. One of the new cycles main aims is also it tries to globalize this test as it is mostly country or union based and have different requirements from each other.

This is the old test cycle for EU:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_..._Driving_Cycle

And this is the new one;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worl...Test_Procedure
Appreciate 0