THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum "Low Washer Fluid" won't reset until engine off

12-31-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

"Low Washer Fluid" won't reset until engine off

Not a "problem" per se, but a bit of odd behavior.

There's been a lot of muck on the roads the last few days and I've been blowing through the windshield wash to keep the salt film down on the windshield. Had my first "Low Washer Fluid" alarm yesterday. Sure, there's probably a half gallon or more reserve once it comes on, but I don't like the little white triangle.

Popped the trunk and grabbed the spare bottle when I let my passenger off at his stop. Poured a gallon into the reservoir with the engine still running, and hopped back in.

Huh. The triangle didn't go away. Popped open the iDrive screen to see if anything else was triggering it. Nope, just the washer level warning. Drove off wondering if it was time buffered to prevent tripping on and off going up hills and corners.

Nope. Stayed on next 20 minutes until I stopped for gas. Turned the engine off to fill up, and the warning was gone when I turned it back on.

As I said, not a problem, but that's a really odd way to program the warning light. As a side note, when I got home 30 minutes later, I put nearly another 1/3 of a gallon into the reservoir to top it off. That's a fair sized tank.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I think this is the default behavior on all BMWs. My 1-series coupe did the same thing. Would not reset until the engine had been switched off and then back on again.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
JChristie
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I’m pretty sure one of my older GM cars was the same.

I could see them designing the sensor to work that way for a couple of reasons. Judging by how they’re slowly dumbing down engine bays, they might not trust the average car owner to safely fill the reservoir with the engine running. If the engine is off, might also help ensure that the fluid is settled and not sloshing around to ensure an accurate reading. I’m thinking at the very least there’d have to be some type of time delay on the sensor in case you’re right at the warning level. If the fluid kept sloshing around while you’re driving the light would constantly be going on and off.
Appreciate 0