THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Intake tube replacement - lessons learned

05-04-2024, 10:05 AM   #1
RallyXer
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Xdrive

Intake tube replacement - lessons learned

In the process of replacing my VCG, I, of course, broke both the PCV hose and the turbo inlet tube that it attaches to. I ordered an aluminum intake tube from Turner Motorsports since they are fairly close to me and I got two day delivery for free. This is the same aluminum tube I see on other sites so the lessons are the same.

Backing up, my car is a 2015 M235i xDrive with an automatic. I think there are extra hoses on the automatic that weren't there on the car on which they engineered this hose as it doesn't fit as designed. Specifically, the bolt on bracket does not work as you cannot get the tube in place with the bracket on and you cannot put the bracket on after the tube is in place. So, first lesson, toss the bracket and don't waste your time with it.

Second lesson, remove both the plastic and the steel undertrays. That way you can at least see the nut that holds the tube onto the turbo. Lots of screws and bolts but easy enough to do.

Third lesson, remove the coolant overflow bottle. This gives your hands access to get to the PCV hose screw. In order to get the coolant bottle off, remove the passenger side inner fender liner. Watch the clip on the lower tube as it will go flying and they don't sell the clip by itself!

Fourth lesson, remove the oil lines that run from the oil cooler under neath the coolant overflow bottle to the oil filter housing. There is one bolt that holds these to the oil filter housing. Have a catch tray under the car as oil will be spilled! Remove the clip that holds the two lines together (the catch is on the bottom), separate the lines and drain them as best you can into a catch can, then set them aside out of the way. Now you will really have access to that PCV bolt!

Fifth lesson, unclip a coolant line that runs behind the intercooler from it's mating line up by the radiator fan on the passenger side of the vehicle. This is the key to going from a nearly impossible job to a fairly straightforward job! Be prepared to catch a gallon or so of coolant. Now you can access the nut that holds the intake tube to the turbo with a simple set of extensions and a ratchet. I used a 6" and 3" 1/4" drive pair with a short 10 mm socket. The extensions go over and to the passenger side of the thermostat housing then straight back to the nut. You may need to use a long screwdriver or pliers to guide the socket onto the nut, but you can see this from under the car as you have removed that steel undertray mentioned above. Trick - put some axle grease in the socket to hold the nut so it doesn't drop and disappear on you.

The PVC hose was a very tight fit into the aluminum intake tube. It seems the hole in the aluminum tube is just a bit undersized. On the bench, I could twist the PCV tube to get it to go in but on the car there is no room to twist so I had to walk it in. I good soaking of WD-40 helped but it was an aggravating job nonetheless.

When buttoning up, make sure that the clips on the coolant lines click into place. Test the connections with 1/2 gallon of water first, then add 1/2 gallon of concentrate coolant, then fill with 50/50 mix. Do this BEFORE you put the inner fender liner or the plastic undertray on.

The silicon hose part of the intake tube isn't a real good fit, so don't tighten the hose clamps until you test fit it to the air cleaner tube.

Other than that, nothing to it! While this may seem like a lot of parts to take off for what amounts to one nut, this is nothing compared to an Audi!!!

Good luck and add your lessons learned here.

Bob
Appreciate 0