THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum N20 vs N26

05-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

N20 vs N26

Are there still differences? Checking the VIN of new 328i in California showed up n26. Checking VIN of 228i also in California showed N20. Both showed CO2 relevant vehicles in the VIN decoder.

Is the 228 going to have the metal parts etc of the n26? Are there actually differences? According to Google people just swear the N26 has less turbo lag but who knows.
      08-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
S1LV3RSAMURA1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i M-Sport

No one really knows?

I have been researching this topic extensively in the last 2 days and it seems as though no one really knows if differences between the N20 and N26 engine really exists in regards to power. My concern is not really power but more of a maintenance and overall price to maintain and replace should something happen with the fuel pump or manifold. I actually go in today to meet with a BMW rep before my car gets ordered for build. I'm stressing...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:12 AM   #3
Stratos
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: F22 220d

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N26

The BMW N26 is a SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles) turbocharged gasoline straight-4 DOHC piston engine which replaced the BMW N20 in countries like US that requires more restricted emissions systems.

The differences for an example are that in the rest of the world where it is acceptable, rubber fuel hoses are commonly employed in vehicle fuel systems. However in the US metal pipes are specified as these ensure that fuel vapour and fuel are less likely to be emitted into the environment. Road side spot checks carried out in the US also mean that emission reducing systems need a robust means of being tested, this not being a requirement in the rest of the world at present. The US version and United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) version of the N20 commonly employ a fuel tank venting system. This system is designed to route fuel vapour formed in the fuel tank into the engines intake system where it is combusted. However in the US model the system needs a way of being tested for leaks to the atmosphere. Therefore an additional valve is installed in the fuel tank venting system that closes off the venting lines so as a specific vacuum can be applied to them and through this action leaks in the system lines can be detected.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
threepac3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N26

The BMW N26 is a SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles) turbocharged gasoline straight-4 DOHC piston engine which replaced the BMW N20 in countries like US that requires more restricted emissions systems.

The differences for an example are that in the rest of the world where it is acceptable, rubber fuel hoses are commonly employed in vehicle fuel systems. However in the US metal pipes are specified as these ensure that fuel vapour and fuel are less likely to be emitted into the environment. Road side spot checks carried out in the US also mean that emission reducing systems need a robust means of being tested, this not being a requirement in the rest of the world at present. The US version and United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) version of the N20 commonly employ a fuel tank venting system. This system is designed to route fuel vapour formed in the fuel tank into the engines intake system where it is combusted. However in the US model the system needs a way of being tested for leaks to the atmosphere. Therefore an additional valve is installed in the fuel tank venting system that closes off the venting lines so as a specific vacuum can be applied to them and through this action leaks in the system lines can be detected.
Okay, but the US engines in 2 series are the n20. BTW what are spot checks?