THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i steering wheel

02-27-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
djarchow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

M235i steering wheel

I just placed my order for an m235i today. One thing I was disappointed in was the msport steering wheel compared to the msport wheel in my 335is. The leather seemed really cheap compared to the one in my current car. It didn't even seem like real leather. Is it real leather?

Since I have a production number but it hasn't started production yet, is it possible to have another msport wheel put on the car at the factory?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xdrive

i've had seat time in the current F80/F82 M3/4's and feel that the steering wheel leather are the same as that on my M235. Of course those other cars had the nice red/blue contrast stitching, additional mode buttons, and the cut out in the lower center spoke.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post
I just placed my order for an m235i today. One thing I was disappointed in was the msport steering wheel compared to the msport wheel in my 335is. The leather seemed really cheap compared to the one in my current car. It didn't even seem like real leather. Is it real leather?
I agree, it does seem cheap. I disliked it from the start. Did you ever notice how "noisy" it is when sliding your hand across it? That, and the fact that it is so hard makes it seem cheap to me. I got used to it, but it was a disappointment.

Just one of the little things BMW could have fixed to really raise the calibre of the car.
      02-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

If you do swap it out, I'd consider taking your stock one to put in my 228i in place of the even-thinner-and-plasticky-er one (which strangely *does* have red stitching, even though it's the only thing in the interior which does... whoever specced this car [not me] only picked plain black leather and not black-with-red-stitching).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

Quote:

Since I have a production number but it hasn't started production yet, is it possible to have another msport wheel put on the car at the factory?

Thanks!
The current M Sport steering wheel is one of the best ones on the market, period. I have never read/heard a negative review of it except that a few think it's rim is too thick and even fewer think that the diameter of the wheel is too large in general. How were you expecting the leather to look/feel? Are you mistaking the smooth texture of the leather as a sign of lower quality compared to other BMW wheels where the leather is much more grainy? The finishing texture of leather is not the ultimate determining factor of it's quality.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 03:13 AM   #6
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns21 View Post
The current M Sport steering wheel is one of the best ones on the market, period. I have never read/heard a negative review of it except that a few think it's rim is too thick and even fewer think that the diameter of the wheel is too large in general. How were you expecting the leather to look/feel? Are you mistaking the smooth texture of the leather as a sign of lower quality compared to other BMW wheels where the leather is much more grainy? The finishing texture of leather is not the ultimate determining factor of it's quality.
Yeah I'm not sure how he thinks the wheel is hard either, it has the softest padding of any wheel I know of in a sports car. All Audi ones are rock hard, no padding at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 03:50 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I actually like the wheel quite a bit, more than many cars I have driven recently and even better than the Macan with the 918 Spyder wheel in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 04:34 AM   #8
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
Yeah I'm not sure how he thinks the wheel is hard either, it has the softest padding of any wheel I know of in a sports car. All Audi ones are rock hard, no padding at all.
You're right, hardness isn't an accurate description, but something about the tactile experience is just off for me. Of all my current cars I like the feel of the M235 wheel the least. It's personal preference, of course.
      02-28-2016, 06:19 AM   #9
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I think the leather on a new steering wheel needs to "break in" like the rest of the car. When my last few BMWs were new, the leather on the wheel had a dry and slippery feeling to me. This feeling goes away after a while. This could be caused either by wearing some of the finish off with use or the leather picking up oils from your skin - or a combination of both. I first noticed this with my '08 M3, and has also been a characteristic in 3 other cars since then.

I think it will develop a "patina" in time. I wonder if using a leather treatment would help. I also really like the recent BMW steering wheels.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #10
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

One and one in our family.
I like the size, look, feel and texture of the M235i steering wheel; my wife prefers the feel of the skinnier, grainy leather steering wheels we had in the in the X1 and 1-series..
      02-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:

Thanks!
Both the 228i and M235i wheels are real leather. Some prefer the look of one over the other...totally subjective. If the rim section of the 228i non-MSport wheel is adequate for the size of your hand, I actually (again subjectively, of course) prefer the feel of the more grained leather on that wheel to the shiny leather on the MSport wheel. It feels more "finished", although none of them are highly padded.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #12
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:

Thanks!
Point 1: Not only is it real leather, it's a fairly high quality of real leather.

Point 2: A myriad of textures can be created in leather. The "grainy" texture described earlier is artificial -- it's almost always a type of embossing -- and it's usually used on leather that is relatively low quality to mask breakdown over time. It's also almost always combined with a semigloss coating that prevents breakdown. This is the case with the stock steering wheel, which I find to be absolutely horrible -- it reminds me of the steering wheel on my third car: a Geo Storm.

Point 3: A previous poster described how steering wheel leather "breaks in". The leather on the M Sport steering wheel is relatively lightly treated and retains some nascent tackiness; because of its quality, it will wear better than most. For those reasons, it's a good type to use on a steering wheel rim.

Point 4: Sure: shape, feel, etc. is partially subjective. Some prefer grainy, glossy leather to smoother, semimatte leather (actual quality be damned); some prefer manmade alcantara to leather; some prefer a thinner rim to a thicker one; some prefer a round cross-section to an oval or squared one. All that said -- with design, materials quality, functionality, etc. also taken into account -- the M Sport steering wheel is one of the best wheels available in a car. Bar none. It's only glaring flaws in my mind are reversed spoke controls (radio should be on the left; cruise should be on the right) and the integrated shift paddles (auto only; paddles should ideally be fixed in position, not turn with the wheel).
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #13
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:

Thanks!
It is the only M Sport wheel. Personally, I like the soft,smooth leather. It's easy to get a firm grip on without strangling the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #14
djarchow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Boy, I didn't realize people were that passionate about their steering wheels.

I am pretty familiar with good quality leather and how leather is tanned, embossed, etc. from jobs I had in college as well as a friend that works at one of the oldest tanneries in the US. The leather on this wheel just felt/looked cheap to me compared to my previous BMWs with M wheels.

I agree this is all just preference, and I am sure it will break in nicely and more importantly steer my new Bimmer just fine. Thanks for all the responses.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 11:52 PM   #15
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
I have a 2013 320i, it has the (ex) base steering wheel. It was so bad that the following MY they made the next best one standard in the 320i. The wheel is leather but it has no padding at all. However, I actually have a lot of steering feel, which is what everyone critical of the F30 is after. When I drive the F30 Sport steering wheel or M Sport steering wheel, there is so much padding and the texture of the leather finish is so smooth that I feel like I have a lesser grip on the wheel. However, the M Sport steering wheel is so good I will have to deal with this fault and grip it just a bit harder to get what I want out of the car. Alas, I'm still convinced steering feel is lost with these vehicles through the steering wheel because there is so much excessive padding... Cheap leather? Poor quality steering wheel?... Not so much...

Last edited by pjohns21; 02-29-2016 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 11:59 PM   #16
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Point 1: Not only is it real leather, it's a fairly high quality of real leather.

Point 2: A myriad of textures can be created in leather. The "grainy" texture described earlier is artificial -- it's almost always a type of embossing -- and it's usually used on leather that is relatively low quality to mask breakdown over time. It's also almost always combined with a semigloss coating that prevents breakdown. This is the case with the stock steering wheel, which I find to be absolutely horrible -- it reminds me of the steering wheel on my third car: a Geo Storm.

Point 3: A previous poster described how steering wheel leather "breaks in". The leather on the M Sport steering wheel is relatively lightly treated and retains some nascent tackiness; because of its quality, it will wear better than most. For those reasons, it's a good type to use on a steering wheel rim.

Point 4: Sure: shape, feel, etc. is partially subjective. Some prefer grainy, glossy leather to smoother, semimatte leather (actual quality be damned); some prefer manmade alcantara to leather; some prefer a thinner rim to a thicker one; some prefer a round cross-section to an oval or squared one. All that said -- with design, materials quality, functionality, etc. also taken into account -- the M Sport steering wheel is one of the best wheels available in a car. Bar none. It's only glaring flaws in my mind are reversed spoke controls (radio should be on the left; cruise should be on the right) and the integrated shift paddles (auto only; paddles should ideally be fixed in position, not turn with the wheel).
Yes, the consensus remains that the M Sport steering wheel is one of the best on the market today, along with the ZF 8AT found in most new Bimmers. This is no comparison for the price. People need to do their research before they claim that something feels cheap/plasticky or that their tranny shifts too softly or too abruptly.

Last edited by pjohns21; 02-29-2016 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #17
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns21 View Post
Yes, but the consensus remains that the M Sport steering wheel is one of the best on the market today, along with the ZF 8AT found in most new Bimmers. This is no comparison for the price. People need to do their research before they claim that something feels cheap/plasticky or that their tranny shifts too soft or too abruptly.
And I say just that in my post:
"All that said -- with design, materials quality, functionality, etc. also taken into account -- the M Sport steering wheel is one of the best wheels available in a car. Bar none. "

Appreciate 0