THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos BMW M2, M235i and M Performance Rendered

01-17-2014, 04:20 AM   #221
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.barnes View Post
Yeah sports auto was faster.
Can you elaborate, please?
Oh, I see what you mean and I really hope that when comparing track and N'ring lap times against the 1M, BMW is not using the advantage of an automatic transmission like we've seen in the vid below because that's not an option in the 1M, hence I was only focused on the LSD difference...

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #222
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

This is on an heavy 'pig'... now imagine it on a M2d:

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:42 AM   #223
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

Quote:
Can you elaborate, please?

There was a time posted somewhere can't remember of manual vs sports auto and sports auto was faster round the ring.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #224
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

A third consecutive Dakar win for a diesel... not bad for a 'grocery getter'! If it can win the toughest rally in the whole world why isn't good enough for some abuse in a M2?! Isn't that the whole idea of EFFICIENT DYNAMICS?!

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #225
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Before you step in in all this 'M235i, the new 2002' marketing , I urge you to read all the rave reviews about the 'mighty' M135i... any differences?!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/m135i

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/1-s...0610/bmw-m135i

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/...12-CAR-review/

http://www.topgear.com/uk/bmw/1-seri...t/m135i-driven
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #226
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

There's a healthy dose of marketing icing covering that 2002 nostalgia. I take both with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #227
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy View Post
There's a healthy dose of marketing icing covering that 2002 nostalgia. I take both with a grain of salt.
Yeah... it started long ago with the 1 Series Coupe:

Quote:
It’s been more than 40 years since the 2002 first arrived in the U.S. and
launched the sports sedan concept. Now BMW brings the true essence
of driving enjoyment to a new level for today’s enthu siasts. The 1 Series
Coupe: a dynamic four-seater with clean, sporty lines, a classic interior,
and a joyful passion for performance. How do you like your fun? BMW
lets you create your own 1 Series, with a choice of two powerful and
fuel-efficient six-cylinder engines; 6-speed manual and STEPTRONIC
automatic transmis sions and a 7-speed Double Clutch Transmission;
and dozens of ways to express your personality through distinctive
paints, upholsteries and optional features. No matter how you design it,
your BMW 1 Series per sonifies the ultimate driving experience
Quote:
Pure BMW DNA. Today, we're renewing the legend.

Drawing from the iconic BMW 2002, the 2013 135i Coupe is our latest benchmark of pure performance, compact dimensions and premium design. In short, it's the next BMW legend–with 300 hp under the hood, and innovation that fuels its stunning performance and efficiency

Aren't you tired of ALL this that goes on and on... Isn't about time for us to have something really special from BMW?! Something that really has to do with the EFFICIENT DYNAMICS motto?!

I say M2 diesel!!!

And you?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #228
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Drop two cylinders of the Autoexpress article. BMW want the fastest four cylinder car in its segment. They also want the M2 to be the most progressive and dynamic car in its segment as well as the lightest performance car. They want a car that has a soul, unlike the Mercedes-Benz AMG A45/CLA 45 which are soulless to drive.
Now, that sounds promising... but a petrol M2 can't be only the lightest car of its segment, it will not suffice! A petrol M2 has to make a statement as far as car weight is concerned.

I always defended the notion that BMW should not go after Mercedes as far as 4-pot engine power is concerned. Instead, BMW M should achieve AMG babies' performance by an extensive weight reduction program, that's what will make the difference... that's what will turn a petrol M2 special.

If BMW M could achieve that with no more than 300 hp from a 2.0L 4-pot petrol engine, i.e., to match the AMG babies' acceleration times then I would drop the whole diesel idea.

For as much I wanted to believe in that, unfortunately I don't! You see, the Alfa Romeo 4C's EU weight is at worst 1100 kg and its 4-pot turbocharged engine delivers 245 hp for a 0-62 mph acceleration time of 4.5 s with a 6-speed double clutch transmission.

The A45 AMG weighs 1555 kg (is lighter than CLA), its turbocharged 4-pot engine delivers 360 hp through a 7-speed double clutch transmission to achieve a 0-62mph acceleration time of 4.6s .

So, if you limit the M2's 4-pot turbocharged engine to no more than 300 hp and want to achieve 0-62 mph in 4.5s, either you have to reduce the car weight in excess of 100 kg OR in the event of a lower weight reduction you will need a 9 or 10-speed double clutch transmission.

I'm sorry to say it... but it ain't gonna happen guys.

So, I stick with the M2 diesel option... special as it is!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #229
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

I'm a little annoyed that HUD isn't available. I think it's a safety enhancement.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 06:39 AM   #230
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Caterham: Kobayashi & Ericsson named as drivers for 2014

Caterham have signed Kamui Kobayashi and Marcus Ericsson as the team's race drivers for the 2014 Formula 1 season.

Japanese driver Kobayashi returns to the grid having been forced to sit out 2013 after losing his Sauber drive, while Swede Ericsson steps up from GP2.

Kobayashi said: "I'm very happy to be back in F1. This opportunity is very important. Hopefully we can enjoy a good season."

The Leafield-based team announcement completes the line-up for this season.

The 2014 season begins on 14 March in Melbourne, Australia.

"This is a very proud day for me and everyone who has helped make my F1 dream come true," said Ericsson.

"I'm already excited about the season ahead, and the first race in Australia in particular."

Kobayashi made his F1 debut in 2009 driving for Toyota before joining Sauber in 2010, but he was not retained for 2013 by the Swiss-based team.

"I'm delighted that we've been able to bring Kamui back," said Caterham team principal Cyril Abiteboul.

"He is a very popular driver and it's very good for the whole team we've been able to attract such an exciting driver to join us at a critical point in our development.

"His pace speaks for itself, and his extensive experience of developing cars, particularly in his years with Toyota, will be incredibly important for us as we tackle one of the most challenging seasons F1 has ever embarked upon."

This really made my day, it was something that I was waiting for since long, long time ago. Caterham came last in the grid in 2013 but I think they will improve this year with the new rules and Kobayashi's help.

Albeit it's not Ferrari, I could not wish a happier combination than the one between a brand, Caterham, whose trademark is super lightweight cars manufacturing and Kobayashi today's most spectacular F1 driver.

I'm sorry for this off-topic, but I'm really happy that fans still can have a word to say in this whole 'money jungle'... I'm really, really happy and I'm looking forward for this year's F1 championship.

Thank you Caterham, you really know how to provide utterly FUN:

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #231
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Yeah... it started long ago with the 1 Series Coupe:

Aren't you tired of ALL this that goes on and on... Isn't about time for us to have something really special from BMW?! Something that really has to do with the EFFICIENT DYNAMICS motto?!

I say M2 diesel!!!

And you?
I can see you're routing for it and I love the oil burning BMWs but no change the M2 will be diesel. 4 cyl petrol all the way.
      01-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #232
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterX5 View Post
I can see you're routing for it and I love the oil burning BMWs but no change the M2 will be diesel. 4 cyl petrol all the way.
Only the ones who don't know the late BMW's oil burning engines can't love them - they've just finished on the first three positions of this year's DAKAR rally edition - let alone the triple-turbocharged ones.

And, that's precisely what I'm talking about here, a triple-turbocharged engine for the M2. Why?!

Because the technology already exists in BMW's cars, you can drop two cylinders and adapt it to a 4-pot engine, its throttle's response quality is on pair with the best turbocharged petrol engines and, last but not least, if BMW really is serious about EFFICIENT DYNAMICS today, if there's no hypocrisy about it, everybody knows that on a performance/fuel consumption ratio level nothing, I mean NOTHING, can beat late diesel engines. Add to that the huge torque reserves of a turbocharged diesel engine and the car low weight (always the most difficult and expensive part of the formula to achieve) is not of such critical concern as it is with its petrol counterpart.

That would definitely be something special, something that every other car brand has yet to offer!

Like with Kobayashi's case, we fans can still make some difference pointing towards the right solution...

Quote:
"I want to give special thanks to all the fans who have made donations to KAMUI SUPPORT"

“Their donations and gestures gave me extra strength to come back fighting and I am very pleased that the money they raised not only helped me but will now go to helping Caterham progress this year. Every single one of you who helped with KAMUI SUPPORT will race with me in 2014 and that makes me very proud.”
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #233
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Update:

Quote:
Toyota will co-develop the next Z4 to be designated Z3 with BMW.

BMW will be more of a sports car. Design influenced by Vision ConnectedDrive Concept car. Design will reflect the technology and advanced aspect of the new car. Technical , and futuristic.

Roadster (BMW) : Coupe (Toyota) at first but their will be an additional Coupe and Roadster for both brands.

Individual design.
Individual characters , both manufacturers will develop their own chassis.

front-engine, rear-drive layout of the current Z4. But a greater approach to weight reduction innovation.

Relatively no high increase in price over the current Z4.

Folding hard top ditched for soft top. Emphasis on weight reduction.

The basic body and chassis design by BMW.
Based upon extensive Carbon fibre innovation shown with the BMW i3 and i8 and the all new generation of 7er.
BMW developed Carbon fibre tub and chassis , key elements such as suspension arms fabricated from CFRP , aluminium A structure and chassis section.
Boot lid and bonnet lid Constructed from Carbon Fibre.

Toyota developed second generation plug-in hybrid technology. More advanced interpretation of the current Toyota Hybrid System II with energy storage capacitor for revolutionary performance eDrive model and Toyota hybrid Drive model.

Engines will be from BMW. Four and Six cylinders.

To be the first car in its segment to offer innovation , performance and efficiency , features expected of a super sports car at half the price.

BMW M. Variants possible.
The timescale works absolutely in favour with the new BMW M3 and BMW M4 Coupe because a gap of two years allows establishment and progress. By this time there will be the Competition Package for the M3 and M4 and there will also be progress for the two cars in an additional specification.

Then you have to think about the next M5 and its leap in technology , lightweight and power increase to just over 600 PS. Granted the M5 won't be on the market at this point but the arrival will be just over twelve months from the G30.

This is where the gap opens for the M2 and there will be ample room for co-existence.

The interesting thing that really shows progress, is that on a presentation briefing between Toyota and BMW on the Z4 Replacement which is the Z3 is the ability to integrate super sports car specifications into that car by extensive use of Carbon Fibre. The Z3 will be the first car, along with its Toyota twin to use a Carbon tub in its price range for a premium manufacturer even undercutting the Alfa Romeo 4C. The bonnet lid and bootlid will also be CFRP and as will areas of the suspension.

It leads to possibly further advances of CFRP on the M2 as the time frame allows for further and extensive application. The four cylinder resonates with the approach to lightweight application over numbers.

The new BMW M3 and M4 begin the Carbon revolution at M. It's not all about the numbers its about precision through weight reduction.

To understand the significance. Look at that Carbon bodied Maybach at around 1 million dollars. Granted the 7er will not be extensive in application but with all the key panels approached to be fabricated from CFRP it will be far , far less than that Maybach , not even a fraction of the cost. That is how important this is.

Later this year as BMW begin the roll out to the first BMW to adopt a significant lightweight approach their will be media Technology days where you will understand the full outline of how innovative and beneficial this will be for BMW.

Start to get excited.

SCOTT,

I really hope you are being serious about this because I've already had enough excitement for one day.

This must be the most important announcement you have ever made over the bimmerpost forums. This really means serious business... the Toyobaru and the Alfa 4C were definitely 'game changers'.

BMW - Toyota - Kamui Kobayashi - Caterham - Lightweight - Alfa 4C - Carbon fiber - BMW

The circle is finally starting to be closed!!!!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 01-21-2014 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #234
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

The ultimate goal of all this endless talk?! To be able to drive and pretend to be Kamui Kobayashi even if just for a moment... Pure Kobayashi:

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #235
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Ok. Excitement aside let us focus on what would be the best, in the light of EFFICIENT DYNAMICS, 4-pot petrol turbocharged engine for the M2.

Since it was announced a so-called 'carbon fiber revolution' inside BMW and, ALLEGEDLY, car lightweight finally is being taken seriously the argument in favor of a sub 300hp 4-pot turbocharged petrol engine for the M2 is now overwhelming.

The issue now is not what power but what engine DISPLACEMENT or capacity should be used on the M2's 4-pot in order to enhance its EFFICIENT DYNAMICS concept even further to the point of becoming a true benchmark for a 4-seater car.

The answer lays in the PRINCE engine which is not a 2.0L engine but a 1.6L one. The PRINCE engine was co-developed by BMW and PSA Peugeot-Citroen and is found in models such as the Mini, BMW F20/F30 and the Peugeot RCZ which represent some of this engine's several different guises.

However, it was precisely Peugeot, through Peugeot Sport - their motorsport division - the ones to take the PRINCE engine to its highest power rate benefiting of BMW's trademark technologies such as Valvetronic, direct injection and twin-scroll turbocharging with the 270 hp Peugeot RCZ - R!!!

The result... well, you have to see what it does to the torquier 2.0L, 265 hp engined FWD N'ring recordist (8:07,97 min - faster than the 1M) on a drag race. Again, the difference lays on the RCZ R weight (the vid shows kerb weight, EU weight is kerb + 75 kg):

As for the fuel consumption rate... 44.8 mpg!!!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 01-22-2014 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #236
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Calm down man, 4 posts in a row
      01-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #237
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterX5 View Post
Calm down man, 4 posts in a row
Oh, that's nothing... you should have read those below. Anyway, thank you for changing that... Do you find any of them valuable, at least?

Subaru BRZ Concept STI - Amazing!!!

Official: Alfa Romeo 4C
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #238
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

I really don't know the extension of the so-called BMW's 'carbon fiber revolution' and how much of it will go into the M2. What I do know is that the Megane RS Cup, N'ring recordist for a FWD car (8:07,97 min), is a 4-seater and that the Peugeot RCZ R, which is faster than the former on a 1000 m drag race, is a 2+2 like the Porsche 911. Both are Coupes, both are FWD and both have 6-speed manual gearboxes.

If we take the 6-speed manual version of the M235i we find that its EU weight is 1530kg.

On the other hand, (1) the Megane EU weight is (1387 + 75) kg = 1462 kg and (2) the RCZ R EU weight is (1280 + 75) = 1355 kg !!!

Now, let's find out how much weight the M235i would have to loose in order to match the EU weight of each of the other two:

(1) 1530 kg - 1462 kg = 68 kg (150 lbs)

(2) 1530 kg - 1355 kg = 175 kg (385.8 lbs)

So, 150 lbs is the absolute minimum weight advantage that the M2 should have over the M235i, with a sub-300 hp, 2.0L 4-pot engine - this is feasible and realistic!

Why is this particular target important?! Because the M2 should also be faster than the fastest of the FWD cars around the N'ring, which right know means faster than the Megane RS Cup - watch out for the new 2.0L and 280 hp Honda Civic Type-R which was built to beat the Megane around the N'ring!

Ok, so far we have the M2's minium weight gain (150 lbs) and the maximum engine power rate which should cover the new CTR engine's power rate, somewhere between 280 and 300 hp (I say 286 hp or 210 KW, like the 1st E36 M3 generation) !!!

Knowing that Peugeot Sport was able to get 270 hp out of the turbocharged 1.6L PRINCE engine, BMW M should be able to get 286 hp out of a similar engine instead of using a 2.0L engine. This is true EFFICIENT DYNAMICS !!!

Now that we have a M2 faster than any FWD 4-seater car around the N'ring we can start dreaming...

And that my friends would mean cut 385.8 lbs out of the M235i weight and enter RCZ R and Cayman territory which clearly is NOT realistic for a M2 from a cost perspective having the M235i as a development base.

Last time BMW did something similarly radical was with the E46 M3 CSL and the price jumped sky high for "just" 242.5 lbs of weight saving.

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 01-23-2014 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #239
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Of course that when you trade a 2.0L for a 1.6L engine you have to adjust for the torque loss with the weight.

So, in practice for a 1.6L M2 with 286 hp to beat the Megane around the N‘ring, aerodynamics and chassis tuning aside, the M2 weight must be lower than that of the Megane. Hence, one of the reasons why I‘ve started by pointing out that the ideal weight gain over the M235i would be not 150 lbs but 220 lbs (100 kg).

If BMW M can't fulfill this goal and become an EFFICIENT DYNAMICS benchmark as far as a 4-pot petrol engined 4-seater goes then a much torquier triple-turbo diesel must be used on the M2.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #240
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

For those in doubt between a 2nd hand Cayman or a M235i, or even between waiting for a M2 or giving the new Cayman a shot, I would like to share with you how independent a magazine review can be:

Alfa Romeo 4C vs Cayman on a track

Quote:
It‘s a LOT more serious than that. I was hoping that everyone knew by now that even with an almost full fuel tank the Alfa 4C could NEVER be slower than a base Cayman on a lap around a track, with the latter having an empty fuel tank or otherwise.

As for the Autoexpress I will let you judge for yourselves how far they are willing to go to help selling Porsches:

The vid shows that the Cayman completes the lap in 1:15 min and some tenths - I measured it several times and the best time I‘ve measured was 1:15,10 min.

The Alfa 4C effectively completes the lap around 1:12,70 min (taken or given some tenths). So, the Alfa 4C with an almost full fuel tank is OBVIOUSLY much faster than the Cayman even with an almost empty one - I don't know how you could ever doubt this even for a second.

In order to know the correct lap times of each car on the vid, all we have to do is to measure with a stopwatch ourselves because the guy on the vid keeps talking while he completes the measured lap and, apparently, without any interruptions... something we can't say about the images and their poor editing work.

In fact, did you ever ask yourselves why the time counting disappears from the images during the Cayman lap, except at the start and the end, while during the Alfa 4C lap it is always present?!

Moreover, did you ever look at the watch on the instrument cluster of the Alfa 4C during the hot lap?!

4:57 min -> the watch marks 15:26 (warm-up lap)
6:06 min -> the watch marks 15:27
6:11 min -> the watch marks 15:27
6:15 min -> the watch marks 15:27
6:21 min -> the watch marks 15:29
6:34 min -> the watch marks 15:27 (the time went backwards)
6:38 min -> the watch marks 15:29
6:40 min -> the watch marks 15:29
6:47 min -> the watch marks 15:30
6:51 min -> the watch marks 15:30
6:53 min -> the watch marks 15:30
7:05 min -> the watch marks 15:30

Don't you find it strange that a lap measured in 1:12,70 min has taken 3 minutes by the Alfa 4C's own watch?!

Maybe Einstein‘s Relativity Theory could explain this. Contrary to what happens to the images, the sound doesn't seem manipulated:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 01-27-2014 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #241
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

It's time for BMW to make a statement and that's not about sheer power... I really hope the M2 will be something else:

Record year for Mercedes-AMG

Quote:
Strongest year in company’s history with around 32,200 AMG vehicles sold

Successful entry into new segments with A 45 AMG, CLA 45 AMG and GLA 45 AMG

New versions and all-wheel-drive technology in the superior segments win new customers

2013 was the most successful year ever in the history of Mercedes-AMG. With around 32,200 sports cars and performance models sold, the Mercedes-Benz’s performance brand reached a new sales record.

“We are looking back on the company’s strongest year ever,” said Tobias Moers, Chairman of the Board of Management of Mercedes-AMG GmbH. “This extraordinary growth has exceeded even our own expectations. It shows once again that with our “AMG Performance 50” growth strategy, we’re on the right track. It’s a strategy we will continue to build on.”

Strong performance in main markets

In its three biggest markets US, Germany and UK, the Affalterbach-based company recorded strong demand in 2013, driven by new products and the extension of its distribution network. Among the factors driving this growth was the broad introduction of the all-wheel drive 4MATIC, newly developed by AMG with focus on performance aspects: the facelifts of the E 63 AMG as well as the CLS 63 AMG are now available with AMG all-wheel drive 4MATIC technology and as powerful S-Model. There was also increasing demand for Mercedes-AMG’s SUV models and the new compact cars A 45 AMG and CLA 45 AMG. The product offensive is rounded off by the recently introduced S 63 AMG, which is facing highest demands.

Through the product offensive and the introduction of the compact CLA 45 AMG in 2013, Mercedes-AMG was able to steadily increase its sales in the main market USA: With a growth of around 20 percent, the sales volume was considerably above the previous year’s level. AMG’s two main European markets, Germany (up 10 percent) and the UK (up 40 percent) posted strong sales, despite the overall market weakness in the EU. Both markets exceeded their 2013 sales targets.

Along with the main markets Mercedes-AMG also posted significant growth in Japan, China, Canada, Russia and Brazil. In the growth market of China, 2013 sales were up around a quarter on the previous year, although the new entry-level A 45 AMG and CLA 45 AMG models, as well as the new S 63 AMG 4MATIC, will not be available there this year.

Growth potential from increased number of model variations

This dynamic growth of the performance brand has been made possible by the expansion of the product range and entering attractive new segments. With the sporty A 45 AMG, the four-door coupe CLA 45 AMG and the GLA 45 AMG, Mercedes-AMG is offering three new entry-level models. Aimed at customers in their thirties to mid-forties, these models are an attempt by AMG to reach out to new target groups. All three models are equipped with AMG all-wheel drive 4MATIC technology and the world’s most powerful four-cylinder production engine.

At the upper ends of the vehicle range, new AMG models of the S-Class and E-Class were introduced in 2013 as well as a new CLS 63 AMG. The E-Class and the CLS 63 AMG are also available as ultra-powerful S-Model and, for the first time, with all-wheel drive. The new vehicles and technology packages have been a hit right from the start: Around 90 percent of buyers of the new E 63 AMG chose AMG all-wheel drive 4MATIC technology. The SLS AMG super sports car has also racked up impressive sales: Since the first model in this series rolled off the production line in the spring of 2010, over 10,000 SLS AMGs have been sold. Later this year, AMG plans to enter a new segment with a sports car it has fully developed itself.

Extending the distribution network

The AMG Performance Centers are a central plank of the AMG Performance 50 growth strategy. These sales points, which have been part of the Mercedes-Benz distribution network since 2008, create optimal market reach. The centers have their own distinct branding and focus on AMG performance brand products and concepts, as well as on the individualisation options that form part of the designo range. At the end of the year, Mercedes-AMG had a total of 375 AMG performance centers in 27 countries. Further sites are being planned in order to build on the excellent customer service that AMG customers expect.

Innovation and development skills at the Affalterbach plant

In 2013 the company again proved itself to be the Daimler Group’s standard-bearer when it comes to technological innovation. AMG engineers at the Affalterbach site cover every aspect of the vehicle development process and are involved in the development processes of Mercedes-Benz at the earliest possible stage. For example, in addition to the new 4MATIC drive system all four-wheel-drive models launched in 2013 have axle components developed of Mercedes-AMG as well as completely new front axles. The four-wheel-drive models underline the claim of leadership in the respective segment in interaction with the specific suspension. Apart from that, the company also develops its own sports cars. As the first vehicle to be fully developed by Mercedes-AMG, the SLS AMG is proof of the competence and passion that exist at the company in Affalterbach. And last year, AMG was also responsible for bringing the world’s most powerful electric super sports car to market, the SLS AMG coupe Electric Drive. The all-electric SLS AMG combines innovations in material combination of aluminium and CRP (carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic) and the newly developed powerful battery and inherits an outstanding driving dynamic thanks to AMG Torque Dynamics. In addition, the lightweight construction strategy known as AMG Lightweight Performance was applied throughout the development of the electric SLS AMG and the new S-Class. The new S 63 AMG weighs up to 100 kilograms less than its predecessor.

From a two-man company to a high-performance brand

AMG (Aufrecht Melcher Großaspach) was founded in 1967 by Hans Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher, and from the very outset achieved numerous successes in the field of motorsport. Today, the former two-man company employs a workforce of more than 1,200 at its plant in Affalterbach, and over the past 47 years has become the technological spearhead and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Daimler AG. The AMG brand promise of ‘Driving Performance’ stands for state-of-the-art technology and pure driving excitement in all four business divisions. Alongside the development of high-performance vehicles, AMG’s second business division, Sport Packages & Models, provides an entry into the world of AMG. AMG’s performance specialists were closely involved in the development of the A 250 Sport and CLA 250 Sport. The sport models “engineered by AMG” were in high demand in 2013 as well and were handed over to more than 12,000 customers. Special customer specifications are carried out in the third business division, the AMG Performance Studio, where individualised AMG vehicles are developed and produced in strictly limited editions. The fourth business division, Driving Academy & Motorsports, has also achieved considerable success. Last year, the AMG Driving Academy hosted over 11,000 participants worldwide and was able to enhance its customer offering with new events in the United Arab Emirates and Poland. And of course the performance brand has remained true to its motor racing roots, chalking up impressive wins on international circuits with the SLS AMG GT3.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #242
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Here's one of the explanations to why I've been favoring the diesel solution in the future M2 - its BIGGER low end torque:

Quote:
Adjusting to the new cars

Whilst fans in Jerez were adapting to the different look and sound of the 2014 cars, the drivers were adapting to how different they are to drive compared to their 2013 cousins. Don’t forget, as well as the new power units - producing different amounts of power and delivering different levels of torque - the new cars also feature eight-speed gearboxes, revised aerodynamics and a new braking system.

“The car matched my expectations on track with more torque,” said Williams’ Valtteri Bottas. “It feels like a very different car compared to last year in the way it handles as well as the power.”

McLaren’s Jenson Button agreed with the Finn’s assessment:

"It feels the most powerful engine I've driven,” said the Briton. “It obviously isn't in terms of outright power, but as a racing driver you feel the torque and power at slow speed. It's coming out of the corners when you have so much torque that's exciting."
Appreciate 0