THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Breaking: First BMW 2 Series Spied! F23 Convertible Spotted in Munich

11-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #67
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Great to see this car in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NELSON.MLGB View Post
BMW 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 series, where is 9 to complete the collection?? lol
It is coming at some point. Don't you worry.

Expect that platform to be shared w/Rolls Royce.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #68
Marioalex24
Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The important thing to remember between the last generation and this generation of 1er (F20) is that it is a second generation model.

At BMW for first generation models they are given a mandatory two year establishment period to determine whether they are successful for further model progress. The F20 does not need that because we have had the first generation of 1er to prove how popular and successful the series is that considering second generation models is actually more simpler than in first generation as what will be replaced , deems a replacement because they are already established.

As I said on the F20 Forum, you will be watching the seventh Star Wars film before you get behind the wheel of an M2.
There is still some time to go.
There will be a M235i model in the F22/F23 and F24.

Last time as they say , they got cold feet because of the M3. This time as I informed some journalists at the private i3 Coupe Preview night and at the LA Autoshow today without giving the secret (which is already known) Everything for the 3er Coupe and Cabrio replacements will be new , everything.
It is going to happen.
Last time around Audi did not have the A5 to show why seperating your line is more lucrative.

I remember back in late 2004 seeing both the 135i M Sport with a 2er badge and a E92/E93 with a 4er badge. Now BMW understands the potential and it is bringing these designations to reality.
What's the estimate time for the M2? Will it be similar to the 1M? I hope so because that's what I want. I'm willing to wait, but just want to have an idea. Thanks.
      11-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #69
npd2983
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 128i MT; '09 335d

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
I was pretty excited for this and then I saw the new Cayman. Man the industry is giving me a hard decision between an M2, Cayman, or BRZ and Keeping the E92. Lots of cool stuff out there.
Good luck with that BRZ! Subaru is playing the same sort of game in the States as BMW played with the 1M Coupe. Yes, its made, but no you can't really buy one unless you are on some list, wait forever and a day, and pay way over the sticker price.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that BMW reduces the top heavy/bloat factor when moving from the current 1 to the new 2!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #70
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
As I said on the F20 Forum, you will be watching the seventh Star Wars film before you get behind the wheel of an M2.
There is still some time to go.
There will be a M235i model in the F22/F23 and F24.
Any hints as to a US launch window for the 235i? Unveiling at the IAA and then what?

And as always, SCOTT26... thank you for all the great informaiton!
      11-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #71
SOL403
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Interesting

Mtec AE - Blacklines - ACS style front lip/roof spoiler/pedals - CF grill/trunklip/licenseplate frame/badges/diffuser - 19" VMR V701 - Michelin PS2 - Res delete - Remus Powersound Quadexhaust - Simota V2 intake - Cyba airscoops - KW V1 coilovers - BMS PBX - Stoptech brake pads/rotors - Mtech rear - Matte Silver Vinyl Wrapped
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #72
BMW-RaceR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle

Quote:
I wonder how much the negative reaction to the headlights of the F20 1-series influenced the design of these lights.
Quote:
None. The only people who have negative reactions to the lights are people on forums, never actually seen the car and outspoken media who a majority have yes, never seen the car in real life.
Ill quote a large Norweigan car review (a review that gets published on several other sites)
Headline: BMWs ugly duckling!

Ill do a rough translation of one paragraph.
Not prettier in real life
Vi though maybe the car would look better when we saw it in real life. Often cars look better in real life than on pictures....
......But we find the 1-series to be as little charming as we though. The big downside is the front with the big headlights.

I you watch say, Chris Harris reviews of M135I and Audi RS3. You can easily tell between the lines that he does not like the look of the 1-series. (He has written so). But many car magazines have to try and stay objective about the looks and wont fault the looks just because they personally are not a big fan.
I have read several reviews that are not too fond of the headlights.

I see the same everywhere on car forums. In the US, UK and other places. There are few people who find the headlights good looking and attractive. Most say they are ugly.

You might say, but that are only forum people, they are a special breed of people that only complain. Of course people will easily express their negative opinion about a car on a forum. But everybody I have asked and talked with would say the 1-series have the least attractive headlights of 1-5 series cars. Many think they are ugly.

The first time I went into a BMW dealer and saw it, a sales man asked me what I though. I said it looked nice, much better than in the pictures. That blurted out of me. But I don't really find it good looking at all with the headlights. Which is the main reasons why I have stayed away from it. I still might be a potential customer, I could live with the looks since its such a good RWD car, but I hope they come with a face-lift on the 1-series soon. And that the 2-series will look good!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #73
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

so the 2er coupe is the new e46 coupe
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #74
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

I think the 2er headlight can be rendered already.. here's my cheap-ass trying to figure out the headlight design... I used windows snipping tool

and Here's the same thing done to the F20

The big question now remains whether the headlights will be attached to the grills like the F30
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #75
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
The BRZ is the Subaru variant of the FT86 toyota (which is a scion FRS here) I am looking for something very small to accompany my E30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
Boxer engine
Rear wheel drive
Zenith

In case you really want to know
I see; I don't know the market position of Subaru in The States; here it's practically less than a niche brand; I think that in Germany it has a 0,25% market share.
This BRZ is not even a mainstream model of this exotic brand...

Anyway, if you want something small and practical you could try with Range Rover Evoque, or Jaguar F-type Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #76
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
Or^

Since the fact that from 2013 on... BMW is renaming their entire line up, so that Coupes are evens series, & Sedans are odd series.
BMW is not ranaming their entire line up just because somebody got out of his-her bed in the morning with an idea.
There is a hard market need behind it; the 2, 4, 6 series Coupes, Gran Coupes and Convertible models are placed on the market few years after the 1,3,5 series cheaper sedans.
The investment in 2,4,6 series does not return, if this more expensive versions get an "outdated" design status after 3 years because the cheaper 1,3,5 series already entered with a new generation styling.

With the separate 2,4,6 series nomenclature BMW introduced (is introducing) a separate model line; these cars should not be considered a 3series Coupe. 5series and 3series are technically as much similar as the new 4series to the 3series.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #77
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Two series models will have a huge success much more than first generation of 1 coupe/ convertible had!
Plus, the 2 series GranCoupe will be such a refined and attractive 4 door head turner
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #78
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

This Is What I Want To See

This is the one that has me excited.....2-Series Grand Sport Tourer. Scott mentioned that it's only speculation that anything like this will reach the market- but to me it's such a perfect fit for what younger people....20-30-ish people who've just gotten their first decent paying professional jobs who want to reward themselves with a BMW... one that reflects their concept of style.
And for - ahem- slightly older people like me who see their cars as a source of youth and fun.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #79
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
The big question now remains whether the headlights will be attached to the grills like the F30
Seems like a safe assumption.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #80
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Yes, obviously.. but you made it seem as if you didn't understand the end-effect.

Nobody is caring why BMW is doing this, only that they have done it. And He didn't know it was being done, or under what framework.
The end effect is that BMW is going to have new separate model lines, that are going to be further diversified in the future; by exterior and interior styling.

Of course, the marketing is going to have a feast with those wanting Gran Coupes and similar en Vogue models. Or at least they'll try.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #81
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
so the 2er coupe is the new e46 coupe
We'll see
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #82
BMW Puritan
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Coupe - E92

Really looking forward to the 2 Series arriving at the dealers - can't wait!

They're going to sell like hotcakes!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #83
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Proportions look very promising...2013 is going to be a vintage year for new cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #84
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Seems like a safe assumption.
I think you'll be surprised to see otherwise
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #85
ekelly
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 3.0sd M Sport

Now with BMW's new naming strategy in full flow. I hope that any future BMW does not grow anymore in size.

If the 1 series is too small; get a 2 series.
If a 2 series is too small; get a 3 series
So on and so forth.

As BMW listens to its current owners to get an idea of what the market might like. Lets hope that wanting/needing your current car with more room inside, is met with a response of upgrading to a larger model in the series line up instead of making the current car larger.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #86
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
but He didn't.
Who is this "He" with the big letter? (use PM)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #87
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
It's the 4er that will start the mass hysteria. Then it will be known...
are we going to have half of the V10 in it? ~
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #88
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
are we going to have half of the V10 in it? ~
No, we are getting double the price surplus, aka mass screaming.
That's why 4 Coupe in Mandarin Chinese sounds like Death Coupe (not that it sounds much better in any other language).

german: 4er sounds almost like Führer (firer; aka a certain dictator from the II. World War)
italian? serie quattro (quattro is used for a whole book of phrases; abito qui, a quattro passi; quattro gatti; fare quattro chiacchere; fare quattro salti; dirne quattro a qualcuno;.....)

Last edited by Antares; 12-01-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0