THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Breaking: First BMW 2 Series Spied! F23 Convertible Spotted in Munich

11-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #45
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiddiq1 View Post
Looks like I'm gonna have to look for a used E90 M3 until the M2 GC comes out then!
You can go for the new Porsche Cayman

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...eles-auto-show
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #46
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

I was pretty excited for this and then I saw the new Cayman. Man the industry is giving me a hard decision between an M2, Cayman, or BRZ and Keeping the E92. Lots of cool stuff out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #47
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

@richardq
You can decide price wise; with the money Porsche makes on a car you could buy an additional smaller ride.
BMW prices and earning margins are normal, so you get much more car and technology for your money. For a base Cayman a 535i.
Now, if you really want a boutique offering, jaw dropping, try with Aston Martin Vantage.

what is BRZ? brasilian retro zoomer?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #48
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Excuse my ignorance, but I seem to be missing the purpose behind a 2-series. If this 2 convertible is so similar to the 1, why don't they just give the 1 a facelift? I mean, the 1- and 3-series are very different cars, but this 2 is just like the 1, and god knows there's already a limited market for the 1. So what gives?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #49
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but I seem to be missing the purpose behind a 2-series. If this 2 convertible is so similar to the 1, why don't they just give the 1 a facelift? I mean, the 1- and 3-series are very different cars, but this 2 is just like the 1, and god knows there's already a limited market for the 1. So what gives?
It's quite logical.
The 2 series cars are coming out few years after the 1 series.
In this few years there are always design shifts and new market expectations.
It's impossible to present a new fresh 2 series car, that stays on the market for 7 years, with a design that is already "lived out".
Or think in the opposite direction; one year before the new 1 series comes out, the sales of that "old" design are already at the lowest point; so the 2 series is a "dead" design at half of its life-exactly what happened to the 1 series Coupe right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #50
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

In addition to the 2-series Gran Coupe and the M2 Gran Coupe, it's also safe to assume that BMW will release a stopgap M235i Gran Coupe. Thoughts, Jason?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #51
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Because the 1 series will eventually be FWD cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #52
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The pronounced shoulder lines should still be there. You can see in this photo that there's a large camouflage panel (look to the right of right rear tail light) which covers the entire side of the prototype, masking all character lines.
Got it. Thanks. OK, then can you say how close this sketch of the Gran Coupe is to the actual 2-series now that you have more information. And was it deliberate to get the convertible out on the street because the 2-door coupe's roofline is different from past BMW's - therefore drama city?

Last edited by Brookside; 11-29-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #53
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
@richardq
You can decide price wise; with the money Porsche makes on a car you could buy an additional smaller ride.
BMW prices and earning margins are normal, so you get much more car and technology for your money. For a base Cayman a 535i.
Now, if you really want a boutique offering, jaw dropping, try with Aston Martin Vantage.

The BRZ is the Subaru variant of the FT86 toyota (which is a scion FRS here) I am looking for something very small to accompany my E30.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #54
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
You can go for the new Porsche Cayman

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...eles-auto-show
Those things are way overpriced brand new and depreciate quickly. That's priced more at the same level as the M3 or the upcoming M4. I suspect a fully-loaded M2 should be at or under $60k new given the 1M was $54k fully-loaded. Or at least I'm hoping.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #55
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Got it. Thanks. OK, then can you say how close this sketch of the Gran Coupe is to the actual 2-series now that you have more information. And was it deliberate to get the convertible out on the street because the 2-door coupe's roofline is different from past BMW's - therefore drama city?

I wish I knew what the 2 Series looks like already, but I don't.

Don't read too much into the fact that we've spotted a 2 series convertible before the coupe. The coupe is said to be testing at the same time, so we just haven't spotted it yet. It shouldn't be long though.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #56
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
BMW's plan for the sedan, touring, and hatchback models is to be the odd numbered series (1, 3, 5, 7) while the coupes, convertibles, and gran coupes will be the even numbered series (2, 4, 6). The 2 series coupe and convertible are replacing the current 1 series coupes and convertibles, just as the upcoming 4 series is replacing the current 3 series coupe.
      11-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #57
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Because the 1 series will eventually be FWD cars.
Really? So the new 2 will essentially be the continuation of the old 1, while the new 1 becomes a mini cooper... ok.

I'm skeptical because BMW's never done this before (to my knowledge). They replaced the Z3 with the Z4, but they discontinued the Z3.

It would kinda being insulting to current 1-series owners, no? "Yeah, I drive a 1-series... no, not one of those fwd econoboxes, I bought it back when it was like the 2-series. Really."
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #58
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Really? So the new 2 will essentially be the continuation of the old 1
That's correct, with respect to the coupe and convertible models.

Also see this: Latest Summary of Potential Future 1 Series, 2 Series, M2, Z1, Z2, X2 Lineup
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #59
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

I can't wait for the 2 series to be revealed. I have always been a big fan of the 1er, I think its beautifully proportioned car. Never get tired of seeing the 1er here in the US as with 6er previous gen and current...
      11-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #60
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
BMW's plan for the sedan, touring, and hatchback models is to be the odd numbered series (1, 3, 5, 7) while the coupes, convertibles, and gran coupes will be the even numbered series (2, 4, 6). The 2 series coupe and convertible are replacing the current 1 series coupes and convertibles, just as the upcoming 4 series is replacing the current 3 series coupe.
OK, this would make sense...
except they already backed-out of doing this when they introduced the Z4. They said the 3-series coupes would become the 4-series, which didn't happen, and then they introduced the 1-series coupes, which could have easily been called the 2-series if they wanted to implement the scheme you've outlined; but they didn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #61
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensington View Post
So are we going to create a new website called 2addicts?
A bit of history :

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:...anged+2addicts

I am sure we'll know soon how the new 2 and 4 Series will be introduced into the Bimmerpost family. BMW hasn't yet made an official statement about the names, but it won't be long now.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #62
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The important thing to remember between the last generation and this generation of 1er (F20) is that it is a second generation model.

At BMW for first generation models they are given a mandatory two year establishment period to determine whether they are successful for further model progress. The F20 does not need that because we have had the first generation of 1er to prove how popular and successful the series is that considering second generation models is actually more simpler than in first generation as what will be replaced , deems a replacement because they are already established.

Quote:
I was pretty excited for this and then I saw the new Cayman. Man the industry is giving me a hard decision between an M2, Cayman, or BRZ and Keeping the E92. Lots of cool stuff out there.
As I said on the F20 Forum, you will be watching the seventh Star Wars film before you get behind the wheel of an M2.
There is still some time to go.
There will be a M235i model in the F22/F23 and F24.

Quote:
except they already backed-out of doing this when they introduced the Z4. They said the 3-series coupes would become the 4-series, which didn't happen, and then they introduced the 1-series coupes, which could have easily been called the 2-series if they wanted to implement the scheme you've outlined; but they didn't.
Last time as they say , they got cold feet because of the M3. This time as I informed some journalists at the private i3 Coupe Preview night and at the LA Autoshow today without giving the secret (which is already known) Everything for the 3er Coupe and Cabrio replacements will be new , everything.
It is going to happen.
Last time around Audi did not have the A5 to show why seperating your line is more lucrative.

I remember back in late 2004 seeing both the 135i M Sport with a 2er badge and a E92/E93 with a 4er badge. Now BMW understands the potential and it is bringing these designations to reality.
      11-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #63
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Boxer engine
Rear wheel drive
Zenith

In case you really want to know
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #64
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

BMW 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 series, where is 9 to complete the collection?? lol
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #65
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
The important thing to remember between the last generation and this generation of 1er (F20) is that it is a second generation model.

At BMW for first generation models they are given a mandatory two year establishment period to determine whether they are successful for further model progress. The F20 does not need that because we have had the first generation of 1er to prove how popular and successful the series is that considering second generation models is actually more simpler than in first generation as what will be replaced , deems a replacement because they are already established.

Quote:
As I said on the F20 Forum, you will be watching the seventh Star Wars film before you get behind the wheel of an M2.
There is still some time to go.
There will be a M235i model in the F22/F23 and F24.

Quote:
Last time as they say , they got cold feet because of the M3. This time as I informed some journalists at the private i3 Coupe Preview night and at the LA Autoshow today without giving the secret (which is already known) Everything for the 3er Coupe and Cabrio replacements will be new , everything.
It is going to happen.
Last time around Audi did not have the A5 to show why seperating your line is more lucrative.

I remember back in late 2004 seeing both the 135i M Sport with a 2er badge and a E92/E93 with a 4er badge. Now BMW understands the potential and it is bringing these designations to reality.
So when approximately will we be seeing the new M2?

Will the M4 come to market before it?

So many questions! So little patience!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #66
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Hopefully a return to form for BMW styling. Size looks perfect.
Appreciate 0