THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Confirming preparedness for making a 228i Xdrive 'vert lease deal - NJ

05-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
novemberspawnedamonster74
Rep
Drives: 228i xdrive 'vert (soon)

Confirming preparedness for making a 228i Xdrive 'vert lease deal - NJ

Hi everyone,

Thanks to the quick and responsive replies to my initial post about packages and specs, I feel very close to being able to get the ball rolling on configuring a lease deal for the above mentioned vehicle. I'm writing to enumerate the factors I'm considering in the intent to get the best financial deal possible. I'm hoping you can tell me if there is anything I'm forgetting or over/under-emphasizing.

- The many posts here have helped me understand what the lease thing is all about. I get that it isn't about what number they throw at you regarding one's monthly payment. In the end, it is about what the car costs and how much you agree you're borrowing of it.

- I plan on not putting money down.
- I plan on knowing the current money factors used for my excellent credit rating.
- I plan on reducing said money factor by way of employing as many MSDs as possible.
- I plan on shooting for 8-10% off MSRP, while making sure I know the likely costs of taxes, destination fees, documentation fees, etc so that hidden profits aren't slipped in after the deal appears to be made.
- Going for a 12k/36 mo lease, nothing fancy.
- I plan to identify 3 to 5 dealers to get some sense of the average expectable price I can negotiate and then will nominate a top 2 that I can deal between. Ultimately, my sense is that who I go with will be the one who balances lowest price offered with ultimate convenience.

Am I mistaken about any of the foregoing plans?

How plentiful is the stock of extant 2016 xdrive 228 convertibles? Should I be able to expect a very robust deal or, rather, a just-under-MSRP deal? (Not sure how much stock to put into TrueCar's assessment of things)...

How much time do I have left on the 2016 clock for doing a custom order? Am I looking at having to order a 2017 soon?

Are there specific NJ dealers who are easiest to deal with? Conversely, are there NJ dealers who are widely known to be disastrous to work with?

Are there out-of-state and online dealers who could be alternatives to the NJ dealerships? (i.e., how much greater degree of difficulty is there if I work with someone outside of NJ?)

Thanks for your help!!

-J
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

No real downside to buying a car in PA or NY for instance except you have to get the car registered yourself, get a plate, and take it to your local dealer for an inspection. If you go that route make sure the dealer you buy from reimburses you the $75 or whatever it is to get the car inspected at home. So aside from some travel time and basic hassle dealing with that sort of bullshit, no reason you must stay NJ.

I will tell you that dealers will be wildly apart. Take your lowest to your second lowest and ask him to beat it. And get everything in writing. If someone won't give you a detailed work up of everything you described, move on. I once had an Audi dealer tell me they couldn't give me a firm price until I gave them a non refundable deposit. So when you get your best deal you can absolutely forward that email around and tell folks here's what I have in writing, can you beat it?

At this point you are stuck with a 2017 if you order. That said if you can find something you like on a lot someplace you'll get a better deal. 2016 leftover, 2017 starting to roll in, end of quarter in June. Sept would be even better but less cars to choose from.

I read your other thread if you're going for cost savings vs getting some stuff you may want, 2016 on a lot with extras could be cheaper than 2017 ordered. Price increase, maintenance not as good, lower discount on ordered etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Call Jake at Sun Motors or Peter at Main Line. pM me if you want an intro. Jake did the wagon I just bought. He will deliver the car to your house you don't even need to go out to Harrisburg.

One other thing not sure what availability is like but if you're not opposed to something with a few miles on it you will save a ton of $ if you find an exec demo you like. Can lease since never titled.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
No real downside to buying a car in PA or NY for instance except you have to get the car registered yourself, get a plate, and take it to your local dealer for an inspection. If you go that route make sure the dealer you buy from reimburses you the $75 or whatever it is to get the car inspected at home. So aside from some travel time and basic hassle dealing with that sort of bullshit, no reason you must stay NJ.

I will tell you that dealers will be wildly apart. Take your lowest to your second lowest and ask him to beat it. And get everything in writing. If someone won't give you a detailed work up of everything you described, move on. I once had an Audi dealer tell me they couldn't give me a firm price until I gave them a non refundable deposit. So when you get your best deal you can absolutely forward that email around and tell folks here's what I have in writing, can you beat it?

At this point you are stuck with a 2017 if you order. That said if you can find something you like on a lot someplace you'll get a better deal. 2016 leftover, 2017 starting to roll in, end of quarter in June. Sept would be even better but less cars to choose from.

I read your other thread if you're going for cost savings vs getting some stuff you may want, 2016 on a lot with extras could be cheaper than 2017 ordered. Price increase, maintenance not as good, lower discount on ordered etc etc.
BEM-S4, you are awesome! Thanks again for such detailed help.

Good tip on making sure the deal is clear and in writing so that it can simply be forwarded. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to see what 2016s are in the lots. Is there a way to see how many 2016 228i 'verts exist with the specific packages/options that I want or will I only be able to pull up all the extant 228s with all of the random packages and port-installed options?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
Rep

Quote:
Call Jake at Sun Motors or Peter at Main Line. pM me if you want an intro. Jake did the wagon I just bought. He will deliver the car to your house you don't even need to go out to Harrisburg.

One other thing not sure what availability is like but if you're not opposed to something with a few miles on it you will save a ton of $ if you find an exec demo you like. Can lease since never titled.
Really appreciate the offer. I will likely PM you for the intro once all the ducks are in a row for sure. I am getting my wife her Subaru most likely this weekend, then need a refractory week for her to get over the money that will have just gone out, then can get with dealers and play let's make a deal again.

How does one identify exec demos?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberspawnedamonster74
Quote:

BEM-S4, you are awesome! Thanks again for such detailed help.

Good tip on making sure the deal is clear and in writing so that it can simply be forwarded. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to see what 2016s are in the lots. Is there a way to see how many 2016 228i 'verts exist with the specific packages/options that I want or will I only be able to pull up all the extant 228s with all of the random packages and port-installed options?
You can search keywords but that's about it. Or find a dealer you like that's willing to put the effort in. They can search their data bases. You can then see if they can trade if they find what you want or you just call the dealer yourself after someone else did the work.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberspawnedamonster74
Quote:

Really appreciate the offer. I will likely PM you for the intro once all the ducks are in a row for sure. I am getting my wife her Subaru most likely this weekend, then need a refractory week for her to get over the money that will have just gone out, then can get with dealers and play let's make a deal again.

How does one identify exec demos?
Search 228 convertible used, not cpo, under 10k miles. If it's at a BMW dealer good chance exec demo. No CPO bc they rarely if ever spend the money to do that. Then just call.

Other option is tell a dealer what you want and they can buy you one at auction. If you're not in a rush and a little flexible on colors, options etc yet can usually find you something in a couple of weeks. If you're going the exec demo route if you can find a 2015 that will be by far your best deal. I looked at a 335 GT for dad $60k new 2015 had 2k miles on it selling price $44k and lease of $350 per month nothing down. Residuals on exec demo, like everything else, calc on MSRP. Only downside is you wouldn't want to buy the car out at lease end. You don't get the benefit of the great deal you got on the residual value.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 05:34 AM   #8
Rep

Quote:
Search 228 convertible used, not cpo, under 10k miles. If it's at a BMW dealer good chance exec demo. No CPO bc they rarely if ever spend the money to do that. Then just call.

Other option is tell a dealer what you want and they can buy you one at auction. If you're not in a rush and a little flexible on colors, options etc yet can usually find you something in a couple of weeks. If you're going the exec demo route if you can find a 2015 that will be by far your best deal. I looked at a 335 GT for dad $60k new 2015 had 2k miles on it selling price $44k and lease of $350 per month nothing down. Residuals on exec demo, like everything else, calc on MSRP. Only downside is you wouldn't want to buy the car out at lease end. You don't get the benefit of the great deal you got on the residual value.
Thank you again, BEM-S4!! I think I'm just about ready, now that you've covered almost every contingency for me. I need to buy that Subaru this weekend for dear wife, give her time to recover from the checks that will be written, then head to the dealership and see what happens with opening numbers. I will then find other dealerships, including the ones you suggested and see how the existing stock looks compared to the packages you all have helped me figure out. I feel confident I can do this in a financially responsible way now, whereas I felt intimidated a bit when I first logged onto this forum. Again, so very grateful for all of your support!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokorun
You don't get the benefit of the great deal you got on the residual value.
golden slot
No you definitely do not. That's why it's hard to get off the needle once you go down the leasing path. So if you get 10% off MSRP you benefit during your lease but not after, so if residual is 60% you only actually keep 40% of your 10% discount. That combined with high residuals vs real world value, buying out your 2-series would make sense in very few cases. For instance I'd consider buying my father's sport wagon but I got 10% off and the residual is 63% so there's no way it's financially wise, but I want to start collecting his cars so it's a different story in that case.
Appreciate 0