THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Planning European Delivery

06-19-2016, 02:43 AM   #1
Open_Road
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Planning European Delivery

Hi,

I have a business trip to Germany coming up in November, and that looks like a nice opportunity to take advantage of the European Delivery for just the cost of a German train ticket (with the slight annoyance that said train is likely to be faster than my BMW). I'm looking at a 230i, not too many options (maybe just the Driver Assistance Package, but I'm willing to listen to suggestions). So I have a few questions:

* Can I pick the delivery date? I will be in Germany on specific weeks in November and would have to travel to Munich over the weekend.
* Related to the former, by when would I have to place an order to take delivery in November?
* How should I approach pricing? That is, how much should I expect to get off, percent wise, of the base price (+options)? I live in the Los Angeles metro area so there are many dealers around for price shopping. I can pay it in full or take financing, whichever gives me the better deal.
* If I trade in my old car, how does that work? Do I agree on the trade-in as I order, or does that happen later in the process?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #2
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Yes, you can pick the delivery date. They usually ask you for three dates, but I have had no problem getting my exact date twice. Time as well - wanted late in the day the first time, first thing in the morning the second.

Time-wise, you can order as soon as the order book for the model year is open, so you should be all set now or very shortly. I ordered in Feb for a late July delivery, and in May for a mid-August due to the model year changeover. I think the minimum is about a month out.

Trade-wise kind of depends, and probably varies by state a bit. If you wait until the car is re-delivered, it is pretty much a normal trade in. In my state, it was considered a purchase by the dealer for tax purposes if I did it before then, so no tax advantages. They gave me an estimate at the time of my order. I didn't trade - got a much better offer from Carmax on my car. Re-delivery takes 10 weeks +/- to the West Coast, so unless you have another car that can be an issue. Of course, if something happens to you trade in the meantime that could be an issue too.

Can't help with the dealer question, I'm on the other coast. But I shot for $500 over Euro Delivery invoice and had not much trouble getting that from my local dealer.

Options are totally to your taste - for me the cold weather package was mandatory, and I got the tech package just because. And manual tranny and sunroof delete. That last is the only reason I got an M235i and not an M-sport 228i. Wanted the premium package goodies, but not the headroom robbing hole in the roof.

Especially if someone else is paying for you to go over, doing Euro Delivery is a no-brainer. I travel for a living, so did the whole thing on airline miles and hotel points. And there is NOTHING like driving your new BMW on the Autobahn. I spent a month last summer, took my Mom all over Europe. Trip of a lifetime. Until I do it again.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
Open_Road
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Finally found the time to start working on this. Using the ED pricing guide and the suggestions posted here (target $500 above invoice price) I worked out the following for a 230i with a Driver Assistance Package:

ED MSRP: $31,210.00
Dealer base price: $29,025.30
ED dealer fee: $475.00
Options MSRP: $950.00
Options base price: $874.00
Destination & handling: $995.00
Dealer margin: $500.00
Target price before tax & registration: $31,394.30

Does this look correct? I'd appreciate feedback since it's my first time using the invoice price as a guideline.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 11:11 PM   #4
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

bimmerfest has an excellent European delivery subforum. I'd suggest going there for insight. I did when planning my ED trip.......that I sadly could not do, but did do performance center delivery. Btw, if you can do it I'd highly suggest doing performance center delivery as well. It was a blast. I'm definitely doing it again.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open_Road View Post
Finally found the time to start working on this. Using the ED pricing guide and the suggestions posted here (target $500 above invoice price) I worked out the following for a 230i with a Driver Assistance Package:

ED MSRP: $31,210.00
Dealer base price: $29,025.30
ED dealer fee: $475.00
Options MSRP: $950.00
Options base price: $874.00
Destination & handling: $995.00
Dealer margin: $500.00
Target price before tax & registration: $31,394.30

Does this look correct? I'd appreciate feedback since it's my first time using the invoice price as a guideline.
I was also quoted dealer base price of $29,500 with the new fee and options at 92% not 91%...so looks right to me. We could be going through same dealer though...Shelly BMW?

Mine is Brown/Oyster 230i as below:

Base: $29,500
Brown: $505
Lights: $830
Cold: $645
Track: $2115
Dest: $995
Total Inv: $34,590
Margin: $500
Total Price: $35,090

Sticker: $38,295

It's not the discount you once got with ED and they whacked the maintenance plan, but how many people in this world get to go pick up their "BRAND NEW CAR" in Europe?
Appreciate 0