THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Cold Air Intake - Worth it?

05-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #45
robman23
Private
Rep
Drives: M235

When I was looking, I found a BMW dealer in SoCal selling a new Dinan CAI for $550 on ebay. Full warranty, numbers, etc.
I think the AFE or Injen are half of that price with the same features.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #46
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
10HP at the crank is still roughly 8HP at the wheels, and 15ft-lbs at the crank is still roughly 12 ft-lbs at the wheels. That kind of power bump is noticeable, and it's not just a perceived difference in 'throttle response' (C'mon: the 2 Series is drive-by-wire. Throttle response is determined by the ECU, for cryin' out loud. THINK, gentlemen!)

Also to wit: That kind of gain from just a CAI is above average for that kind of bolt-on mod for any bone-stock engine.

Proof? It still hasn't appeared. I don't care if it's the pope selling it. Proof needs to be produced.
So buy one and get one on a dyno and let us know how it goes.
      05-24-2016, 04:01 PM   #47
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
it's not just a perceived difference in 'throttle response' (C'mon: the 2 Series is drive-by-wire. Throttle response is determined by the ECU, for cryin' out loud. THINK, gentlemen!)
Mike,

Correct, throttle response is controlled by DBW and ECU.

I ran stock originally and was keen to fettle intake to improve throttle response, help keep iats in check, any bump in oomph would be welcome and add some sound/character.

Stock intake, stock airbox with drop-in, mppk intake with drop in then lastly oem airbox, drop-in and air scoop. Have seen small incremental improvements and ram air effect of scoop was a worthwhile add-on to oem airbox and a drop-in filter.

Comparing oem airbox, afe dry drop-in air filter and AFE DAS air scoop to Dinan CAI with AFE DAS, my cars DBW seems to have adapted to Dinan CAI favourably, by this i mean any 'lag' is lesser whether on partial or WOT. Car feels more responsive / urgent, especially with jb4 in maps 5 and 6.

The above may also be true of other CAIs but I can only comment based on my experience.

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #48
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

I've seen no evidence that an intake is required when tuning (why would you need it for Stage 2 map of Dinan) or even beneficial on the N55 platform with or without tune. It's such a quick instal; easy test would be go to the track make 2 passes on stock intake, let car cool down and do another couple passes with the Dinan. If the claims are true then 15 ft-lbs should get you an extra 1-1.5 mph at the end of the 1/4. If you want sound and actual power improvement get a hi-flow catted downpipe or catless if you are so inclined. I've had aftermarket panel filters, open intakes, closed intakes and none of them produced any results at a track. I get sucked in like most on wanting more power, this car I'm taking a pass on what I've personally felt have been $ for nothing. Tune, downpipe and mix of E85 or race fuel are only cheap mods for this platform. After that you need to upgrade the turbo. Intake and non-downpipe exhaust mods are for sound and they are expensive. But, if you've got $ to burn and like whooshing noises then who am I to say what you should value with your own $, enjoy.
      05-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #49
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Mike,

Correct, throttle response is controlled by DBW and ECU.

I ran stock originally and was keen to fettle intake to improve throttle response, help keep iats in check, any bump in oomph would be welcome and add some sound/character.

Stock intake, stock airbox with drop-in, mppk intake with drop in then lastly oem airbox, drop-in and air scoop. Have seen small incremental improvements and ram air effect of scoop was a worthwhile add-on to oem airbox and a drop-in filter.

Comparing oem airbox, afe dry drop-in air filter and AFE DAS air scoop to Dinan CAI with AFE DAS, my cars DBW seems to have adapted to Dinan CAI favourably, by this i mean any 'lag' is lesser whether on partial or WOT. Car feels more responsive / urgent, especially with jb4 in maps 5 and 6.

The above may also be true of other CAIs but I can only comment based on my experience.

BP
And this is definitely possible: a gradual adjustment by the ECU to intake modifications to account for easier airflow. But it's proof that the 10hp/15ft-lb claim is hogwash on its face because the ECU simply won't allow it right off the bat. It will take the ECU hundreds, if not thousands, of miles to maximize its behavior to the new standard because that's what it's programmed to do when you buy the car new -- adapt, and self-tune, based on how you drive the car.

Bottom line from all this, gentlemen, is that on pretty much any modern ECU-controlled car, intake modifications really don't do anything right off the bat unless the ECU itself is modified, i.e. a tune. (This is why most performance cars don't have a dedicated air intake, i.e. 'ram air', these days. You're not forcing air into a Venturi plenum on top of a carb, ya know)

Also, just to make another point: The reason the OEM intake can't be improved upon much isn't just ECU control and drive-by-wire; it's the path that fresh air needs to travel in the sealed intake system in our cars. Engineering-wise it's not very efficient at all: the ambient air is taken from a small hole on the passenger side just in front of the radiator, which is turbulent by nature because of aerodynamics and heat dissipation. Then, it has to do a 180 -- literally! -- to travel to the driver's side of the engine where the filter box is. Air being forced to turn in the opposite direction on a dime is never good for flow. So then that begs the question: "So why not use an open-box system?" And get the air from where, exactly? Besides, there's way too much hot componentry -- including not one, but two oil coolers, on either side of the OEM airbox -- for an open cone to work well. Heat soak city.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #50
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And this is definitely possible: a gradual adjustment by the ECU to intake modifications to account for easier airflow. But it's proof that the 10hp/15ft-lb claim is hogwash on its face because the ECU simply won't allow it right off the bat. It will take the ECU hundreds, if not thousands, of miles to maximize its behavior to the new standard because that's what it's programmed to do when you buy the car new -- adapt, and self-tune, based on how you drive the car.

Bottom line from all this, gentlemen, is that on pretty much any modern ECU-controlled car, intake modifications really don't do anything right off the bat unless the ECU itself is modified, i.e. a tune. (This is why most performance cars don't have a dedicated air intake, i.e. 'ram air', these days. You're not forcing air into a Venturi plenum on top of a carb, ya know)

Also, just to make another point: The reason the OEM intake can't be improved upon much isn't just ECU control and drive-by-wire; it's the path that fresh air needs to travel in the sealed intake system in our cars. Engineering-wise it's not very efficient at all: the ambient air is taken from a small hole on the passenger side just in front of the radiator, which is turbulent by nature because of aerodynamics and heat dissipation. Then, it has to do a 180 -- literally! -- to travel to the driver's side of the engine where the filter box is. Air being forced to turn in the opposite direction on a dime is never good for flow. So then that begs the question: "So why not use an open-box system?" And get the air from where, exactly? Besides, there's way too much hot componentry -- including not one, but two oil coolers, on either side of the OEM airbox -- for an open cone to work well. Heat soak city.
Yet again all this is based on nothing but your opinion which at this point is just a running joke. Unless you have factual evidence that Dinan is lying to customers and you have a dyno test to prove your theory of evidence collected by reading forum posts. Your word is worthless, not the intake.
      05-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #51
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Yep, tending to agree with you m235iGuy, it reads like Vmike is on a crusade.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #52
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
Yet again all this is based on nothing but your opinion which at this point is just a running joke. Unless you have factual evidence that Dinan is lying to customers and you have a dyno test to prove your theory of evidence collected by reading forum posts. Your word is worthless, not the intake.
Speaking of factual evidence ... :: crickets ::

I'm not saying that Dinan is lying. I'm saying that Dinan isn't being clear. Big difference. And you can go on believing that my scope of reference is just forum posts; that's fine. You're wrong, as stated earlier. But that's fine. That's your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #53
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Or any other CAI vendor. I've seen similar claims of HP/TQ #'s. So presumably there all being unclear not just Dinan.

EDIT: by the way, check out afe - claims of 25hp/35tq and I don't see any docs supporting their claim
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #54
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of factual evidence ... :: crickets ::

I'm not saying that Dinan is lying. I'm saying that Dinan isn't being clear. Big difference. And you can go on believing that my scope of reference is just forum posts; that's fine. You're wrong, as stated earlier. But that's fine. That's your opinion.
I'm not the one debating numbers are factual, you are. Show us evidence of a Dinan dyno that points to no gains. Then I'll take your word for it, till then your opinion means nothing.
      05-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #55
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

After installing my dinan CAI today on my tuned stage 2 dinan.

I can state that its noticeable. the response, the power is not like a tune, but its slight and its a little more sound, a decent increase in throttle response, and power.

i cant speak for an increase on a stock car, but with the stage 2 tune. its def worth it imo.

especially if u go with getbmwparts.com, the price is right

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #56
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

ohh btw, the install was a breeze. and the stupid car had the cold weather thing, which is dumb cause im in cali. we had to improvise since we had no drill, but we got it done still in under an hour.

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #57
M2KH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 235, White

Can anyone with a MPE and Dinan CAI take a video of the sound? I'm curious what it sounds like and there's nothing on YouTube.
Appreciate 1