THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Intake Question

05-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
ohohoh123456
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Dinan Intake Question

Hey guys,

Just installed dinan cai. Quick question: I noticed turbo wooshing sound isn't as loud as I expected (which is not a bad thing for me because I don't like too much turbo sound). However, this triggered a question because I tried BMS intake before and it boosted the sound so much. My question is that is this correct? I did the installation myself and I hope I install it correctly since buttdyno in most cases very hard to detect intake gain. Thanks!
      05-25-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohoh123456 View Post
Hey guys,

Just installed dinan cai. Quick question: I noticed turbo wooshing sound isn't as loud as I expected (which is not a bad thing for me because I don't like too much turbo sound). However, this triggered a question because I tried BMS intake before and it boosted the sound so much. My question is that is this correct? I did the installation myself and I hope I install it correctly since buttdyno in most cases very hard to detect intake gain. Thanks!
Its a closed system so the whooshing sounds are pretty mild in comparison to the open systems like the BMS. They are what give you the loud intake sound. Closed systems like the Dinan one are much more subtle in the sound department. If you don't have a CEL, you installed it correctly. =)
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Its not a overbearing swoosh, IMO its perfect. As the Dinan rep stated as long as you don't have a CEL, looks like you did it right.
      05-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
ohohoh123456
First Lieutenant
Rep

so far no CEL, but BMS didn't give me CEL until like 300 miles or so. So far seems I nailed it yay!
      05-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Hmmm, I love the louder sounds lol. Injen intake. Several hundred miles and no cel so far. Like you, I didn't notice any performance gains. I bought the intake for sound, so idc.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
ohohoh123456
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Hmmm, I love the louder sounds lol. Injen intake. Several hundred miles and no cel so far. Like you, I didn't notice any performance gains. I bought the intake for sound, so idc.
I'm a bit worried about some aftermarket intakes, BMS didn't give me CEL until 300 miles out and since then been on and off. I have a feeling turbo sound now is even quieter than before maybe due to the weather stripes they ask you to seal in the airbox. Very much like a natural aspirated engine now, even more than before.
      05-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohoh123456
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
I'm a bit worried about some aftermarket intakes, BMS didn't give me CEL until 300 miles out and since then been on and off. I have a feeling turbo sound now is even quieter than before maybe due to the weather stripes they ask you to seal in the airbox. Very much like a natural aspirated engine now, even more than before.
when you were having the CELs did you clean the MAF sensor? Seems like that resolves it for people. I too was worried about CELs though. I noticed that not many people that owned the Injen intake complained. Some person also mentioned that it could be a symptom of oiled filters. The Injen intake comes with a dry filter.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #8
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

Just installed my dinan CAI.

I know people say you cant notice gains but i def feel more power. maybe cause i have a stage 2 dinan tune.

The sound is not super loud but u can clearly hear more turbo and after i let off, i feel like the exhaust has more rumble. i wonder if thats normal

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 1