THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 18' M240i White Smoke

01-22-2024, 01:01 PM   #1
beems58
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92 and BMW M240i F22

18' M240i White Smoke

Hey all, today I was driving to work. Super cold at night. Turned the car on this morning like normal. Everything’s great. Warmed up the car and headed out.

Traffic to work for about 8 miles turned into an hour drive in stop and go traffic. crazy.

About 40 minutes into my drive, stop and going, I have my heated seats and my steering wheel on for heat. Out of nowhere I start feeling stutter with my foot on the brake. Then I start seeing smoke behind me. Thick white smoke coming from the pipes. I couldn’t see the car behind me.

I panicked, turned the car off with my emergency signals for a good minute. Restarted the car and hopped on the shoulder and stopped the car.

No indications on my screen that something was wrong. Waited and then eventually pulled over again to the nearest exit to check my car. Coolant levels are good everything’s good.

Drove it home. This was a normal drive, no smoke! What the heck! I get on my driveway and come out and find my driveway to be covered from my car liquid. Looks like something is leaking coolant. Exhaust- if I put my face to my tailpipe and smell it, it’s a weird smell.

Leak from the front driver side. Towards the very front.

Wonder what could’ve caused this? Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 01:05 PM   #2
beems58
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beems58 View Post
Hey all, today I was driving to work. Super cold at night. Turned the car on this morning like normal. Everything’s great. Warmed up the car and headed out.

Traffic to work for about 8 miles turned into an hour drive in stop and go traffic. crazy.

About 40 minutes into my drive, stop and going, I have my heated seats and my steering wheel on for heat. Out of nowhere I start feeling stutter with my foot on the brake. Then I start seeing smoke behind me. Thick white smoke coming from the pipes. I couldn’t see the car behind me.

I panicked, turned the car off with my emergency signals for a good minute. Restarted the car and hopped on the shoulder and stopped the car.

No indications on my screen that something was wrong. Waited and then eventually pulled over again to the nearest exit to check my car. Coolant levels are good everything’s good.

Drove it home. This was a normal drive, no smoke! What the heck! I get on my driveway and come out and find my driveway to be covered from my car liquid. Looks like something is leaking coolant. Exhaust- if I put my face to my tailpipe and smell it, it’s a weird smell.

Of note - I had coolant still. Car was at normal temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 01:42 PM   #3
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Best to check for codes but sounds like a PCV valve failure. Did you happen to get a recall letter regarding this?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 01:43 PM   #4
beems58
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Best to check for codes but sounds like a PCV valve failure. Did you happen to get a recall letter regarding this?
No recall letter at all. I just had service and codes checked two weeks ago. This sucks.
PCV can cause a leak below the coolant tank?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 01:45 PM   #5
beems58
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Of note - I had coolant still. Car was at normal temperatures.
Quote:
I attached two photos. So weird that it happened so far into my drive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 01:46 PM   #6
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

One thing may have caused the other. It sounds like this thread... https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1980136

This thread shows the recall letter... https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=2063140
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 09:22 PM   #7
beems58
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One thing may have caused the other. It sounds like this thread... https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1980136

This thread shows the recall letter... https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=2063140
Responding to this because it’s not smoking anymore. So weird?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:41 AM   #8
OR0213
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:

As far as the liquid goes… if both coolant tanks aren’t draining and your oil levels are good… have no clue. I had the same issue with the white smoke. I turned my car on and I mean by the looks of it I thought my car was toast, I’m talking so much smoke it looked like it was making clouds, then it stopped after a 5 minute drive. well turns out it was just a little 30$ repair (the pcv diaphragm) it’s a 5 minute job and never had the issue again.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:12 PM   #9
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
I attached two photos. So weird that it happened so far into my drive.
That does not look like coolant on the ground. Also, the car looks wet, sure it is not just water draining from somewhere?

If you coolant tanks are full I doubt it is related. Would probably still have the PCV checked.
Appreciate 0