THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 2015 N55 M235i White Smoke at Idle and 11A002 Code

08-27-2023, 12:59 PM   #1
EEA
Rep
Drives: BMW F22 M235i

2015 N55 M235i White Smoke at Idle and 11A002 Code

Hi everyone!

I'm having an odd issue with my 235.

Yesterday I left it idling for longer than I should have. Maybe around 30-45 minutes. Immediately after, I noticed white smoke (not blueish as far as I can tell) coming out from the exhaust. I then got a "drivetrain malfunction" and the car wouldn't accelerate.

I ran the codes and came back with 11A002 (Fuel Pressire Below Target), 11A031 (Low pressure fuel system, electric fuel pump: Pressure too low). The vehicle had a 1/4 tank of gas. Outside temperature was about 90 degrees farenheight.

I restarted the car and it ran perfect, just with white smoke at Idle.

I know there's no smoke while the car is at speed because I had someone else drive it while I followed them on my bike.

However, I have since parked and stopped driving it in an abundance of caution.

Mods are the following:

Jb4
BMS intake
VRSF Catless Downpipe
VRSF FMIC
VRSF Intercooler piping

Maybe an injector is stuck open?

I'm trying to upload a video but I'm having a bit of trouble. I'll try to supplement this post with it.

EDIT:

Thank you!

Last edited by EEA; 08-27-2023 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 11:47 AM   #2
EEA
Rep

UPDATE:

The car no longer emits white smoke, or any smoke for that matter. Very odd to say the least.

Forgot to include in my original post, the vehicle has 52k miles, and the motor was just rebuilt.

Does anyone have any idea what happened, or what caused this issue?

Last edited by EEA; 09-13-2023 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 04:30 PM   #3
EEA
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 04:38 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

What do you mean by "rebuilt". Like pistons, rings, bearings, etc.? Who did the work?

You're running a catless downpipe so it's quite possible that's part of the issue.
      09-14-2023, 08:08 AM   #5
EEA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
What do you mean by "rebuilt". Like pistons, rings, bearings, etc.? Who did the work?

You're running a catless downpipe so it's quite possible that's part of the issue.
Thank you for your response!

Yup! They replaced the block, pistons, rings, bearings, rods, timing chain, gaskets, cams, etc. Not the water pump, alternator, power steering pump. Thank GOODNESS I had a third-party warranty that actually covered the work.

It was done by Miami Engines. They're a reputable BMW shop in my area that does rebuilds and all sorts of work on BMWs.

More specifically, I took the car to Miami Bimmer Shop, who then sent out the motor to Miami Engines.

I cleared the fuel codes, and they have not come back. I take that as a good sign.

Last edited by EEA; 09-14-2023 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 10:53 AM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan008 View Post
Thank you for your response!

Yup! They replaced the block, pistons, rings, bearings, rods, timing chain, gaskets, cams, etc. Not the water pump, alternator, power steering pump. Thank GOODNESS I had a third-party warranty that actually covered the work.

It was done by Miami Engines. They're a reputable BMW shop in my area that does rebuilds and all sorts of work on BMWs.

More specifically, I took the car to Miami Bimmer Shop, who then sent out the motor to Miami Engines.

I cleared the fuel codes, and they have not come back. I take that as a good sign.
I would inquire to them because if you're getting random puffs of smoke, it makes me think a stuck piston ring(s) or a leaking valve seal(s). If the smoke has gone away, then perhaps the ring got unseized.

Even if it seems fine right now, I would contact them and tell them everything that's happened, and provide the video evidence just so there's a document trail in cause you need to pursue a warranty claim. I'd keep an eye on it as well as any oil consumption. On a rebuilt motor, it's quite likely the motor will consume some oil (up to 1 qt every 3 to 5K miles) for the first 10K miles or so. If it's greater than that and starts increasing over time, let them know.