THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Not loving my car yet. When/how for you?

05-31-2017, 11:10 AM   #89
cralmandi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Stage 1 tune woke it up and some new wheels that actually look like they belong on the car. It's a blast now.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 08:46 PM   #90
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
You're pressing the trip computer button. You need to press the button on the end of the blinker stalk... It's the button you use to scroll through the different options. Just hold that button in and it'll reset.

BTW, I used Eco Pro on my drive in to work today... It did no better than comfort mode.. When I parked, it was showing 30.6 mpg.

Good short cut. I was going into the screen and hitting reset today. I even tried to set it as a short cut but it wasn't able to save.

The lowest I got was about 10 litres/100km which is 23 mpg. I had to drive on flat road with no cars. Any real traffic in the city with cars is getting 15-17 l/100km.

I did fill up with 91 that has 10% ethanol so the next tank I will find 91 without ethanol or go up to 93 without ethanol. I read that ethanol lowers mileage by 4%.

Seriously though I am disappointed with my mileage so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #91
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbby View Post
Good short cut. I was going into the screen and hitting reset today. I even tried to set it as a short cut but it wasn't able to save.

The lowest I got was about 10 litres/100km which is 23 mpg. I had to drive on flat road with no cars. Any real traffic in the city with cars is getting 15-17 l/100km.

I did fill up with 91 that has 10% ethanol so the next tank I will find 91 without ethanol or go up to 93 without ethanol. I read that ethanol lowers mileage by 4%.

Seriously though I am disappointed with my mileage so far.
Me too. I would have to drive in eco pro all the time to get decent mileage and that is not going to happen. I get 19 in sport mode with some aggressive driving. It is what it is but I am not changing my driving habits to get better mileage.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:11 PM   #92
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

I don't understand why the 2 of you are getting such bad mileage. I wish I could see the conditions and your drive styles. I'm not even trying, and in comfort mode, get 28-31 mpg. Believe me.. on this, I'm a fairly aggressive driver.. Not many people pass me on the road and I'm usually the 1st off the line, from a light.

BTW, when there's no traffic, I can get to work in 1hr 10 mins. Most days it takes me 1.5 hrs to drive 66.7 miles....
      05-31-2017, 09:32 PM   #93
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't understand why the 2 of you are getting such bad mileage. I wish I could see the conditions and your drive styles. I'm not even trying, and in comfort mode, get 28-31 mpg. Believe me.. on this, I'm a fairly aggressive driver.. Not many people pass me on the road and I'm usually the 1st off the line, from a light.

BTW, when there's no traffic, I can get to work in 1hr 10 mins. Most days it takes me 1.5 hrs to drive 66.7 miles....
I want to know too because I know I am agressive and am now driving smoothly and not killing my breaks anticipating the traffic ahead during break in. I just want it to go as far as what my Volvo is getting me which is crap due to its age. I want more than 340 km per tank...which I'd thought I got from the first tank.

When I did my research, the fuel efficiency was part of it but I wasn't expecting some amazing hybrid car. I am going to physically check my tires tomorrow morning just in case.

I work at different places so my commute in the city varies from 15 mins to 30 mins in the morning and more on the return trip.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:51 PM   #94
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Tires can make a difference, but not that much.. Just make sure your tires are inflated properly.. My factory tires are the MPSS because I've got the Track Handling packge. As for the gas, I'm running E10 (10% Ethanol) . E10 is the only thing that's available around here.. and Premium is almost always 93 octane.

BTW, I'm now over my 1200 miles for break in.... I guess it means my mileage will go down a bit..
      05-31-2017, 11:56 PM   #95
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Tires can make a difference, but not that much.. Just make sure your tires are inflated properly.. My factory tires are the MPSS because I've got the Track Handling packge. As for the gas, I'm running E10 (10% Ethanol) . E10 is the only thing that's available around here.. and Premium is almost always 93 octane.

BTW, I'm now over my 1200 miles for break in.... I guess it means my mileage will go down a bit..
Isn't it supposed to get a bit better after break in?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #96
crabu2
Captain
Rep

I was saying mine would get worse because I'm going to be getting on it now..

As for mpg getting better after break in, I've found that you have to put thousands and thousands on it before you start seeing better mpgs.
      06-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #97
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Gabby - I live in the BC interior, and you know how the mountains are here, I'm sure. I have a 3000ft decent and climb home from work. I can coast down the hill to work with 0 gas pedal until I get into town, which helps I'm sure. I have never once checked MPG or KPL, but I'm getting about 450km/tank most times, just around 400kms if I've done a tour or long loop in the Mountains on my days off. And that's a LOT of wide-open-throttle. It must be your low mileage engine. I'm sitting at around 35k kms right now, full bolt-on (less meth).
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #98
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Gabby - I live in the BC interior, and you know how the mountains are here, I'm sure. I have a 3000ft decent and climb home from work. I can coast down the hill to work with 0 gas pedal until I get into town, which helps I'm sure. I have never once checked MPG or KPL, but I'm getting about 450km/tank most times, just around 400kms if I've done a tour or long loop in the Mountains on my days off. And that's a LOT of wide-open-throttle. It must be your low mileage engine. I'm sitting at around 35k kms right now, full bolt-on (less meth).
I am going to ignore the consumption metre and just check the mileage after each tank...except the last tank I filled up had 100 km left (according to the gas meter so not sure how reliable that number is).

Traffic has been so bad during my commute and there are construction sites every other road due to the crazy winter we've had. Twice I was stuck in non- moving traffic in Richmond and I usually avoid going to Richmond at all cost. Really really hoping it is the stop and go traffic from my commute. The best ride I've had was the trip after picking up my car from the clear bra installation late one night. Clear open road all the way home. Too bad I didn't check my gauge then.

I don't want to be hung up on this because I am going to give this car the best gas whenever it's needed. With all these comparisons, I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong that can be easily fixed early on. 400 km would be fantastic. I was filling up with regular gas on my Volvo and it was about $60 already for 320-340 km/ agressive driving.

I can't wait to take my car up to whistler this summer.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      06-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #99
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I am going to ignore the consumption metre and just check the mileage after each tank...except the last tank I filled up had 100 km left (according to the gas meter so not sure how reliable that number is).

Traffic has been so bad during my commute and there are construction sites every other road due to the crazy winter we've had. Twice I was stuck in non- moving traffic in Richmond and I usually avoid going to Richmond at all cost. Really really hoping it is the stop and go traffic from my commute. The best ride I've had was the trip after picking up my car from the clear bra installation late one night. Clear open road all the way home. Too bad I didn't check my gauge then.

I don't want to be hung up on this because I am going to give this car the best gas whenever it's needed. With all these comparisons, I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong that can be easily fixed early on. 400 km would be fantastic. I was filling up with regular gas on my Volvo and it was about $60 already for 320-340 km/ agressive driving.

I can't wait to take my car up to whistler this summer.
I drove there last summer with the Mrs. Was a blast, and had some other neat cars play along the way. A LOT of cars on that highway, though, just be careful I'm spoiled here in the Kootenays. What's traffic?

Hope to see ya 'round. If you're ever into driving through the interior, I can point you towards some really special routes I've mapped out.

D
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #100
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I drove there last summer with the Mrs. Was a blast, and had some other neat cars play along the way. A LOT of cars on that highway, though, just be careful I'm spoiled here in the Kootenays. What's traffic?

Hope to see ya 'round. If you're ever into driving through the interior, I can point you towards some really special routes I've mapped out.

D
That would be great! I am planning summer trips just so I can drive my car. Any reccomedations? I may have to rethink whistler because the last time I drove up, not only did my car struggle up the climb. I was THAT car slowing everyone down! And yes, there were a lot of traffic too.

Yes please for places with no traffic. Your car is spoiled. Lucky.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #101
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:
That would be great! I am planning summer trips just so I can drive my car. Any reccomedations? I may have to rethink whistler because the last time I drove up, not only did my car struggle up the climb. I was THAT car slowing everyone down! And yes, there were a lot of traffic too.

I had a harrowing bus ride up to Whistler this past December. And a harrowing taxi ride to dinner down in Vancouver. Do you folks not routinely mount snow tires in the winter? I know the taxi was just on all seasons. Not sure what the bus was driving on.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #102
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I had a harrowing bus ride up to Whistler this past December. And a harrowing taxi ride to dinner down in Vancouver. Do you folks not routinely mount snow tires in the winter? I know the taxi was just on all seasons. Not sure what the bus was driving on.
This winter was bad and extra long so I think there are new rules specifically for highways. I tend not to drive much when it snows here because SUVs and AWDs tend to drive fast even without the proper tires.

We're not used to that much snow on the west coast...it snows once every few years unlike East Coast Canada.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #103
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Depends, you can do a Trip to Revelstoke, Nelson, Rossland, Kamloops etc all with great roads all within one day, then back home the next. Just depends what you'd like (or she) when you get to your destination. If it's you and her, Nelson is a great place to visit. If it's you and a buddy, maybe hit up some links if you play. Lot's to do, PM me if you're keen on a game plan

D
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #104
koston
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Gabby

Not sure if it is the petrol type but my milage is a lot better on 98 octane.

During break in I was getting close to 9L/100km (Comfort) and afterwards 10-11l/100km (Sport) in traffic. About 13-14l/100km on twisties (Sport).

You should try out 95 or 98 for a few tanks and you will notice the difference.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #105
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koston View Post
Gabby

Not sure if it is the petrol type but my milage is a lot better on 98 octane.

During break in I was getting close to 9L/100km (Comfort) and afterwards 10-11l/100km (Sport) in traffic. About 13-14l/100km on twisties (Sport).

You should try out 95 or 98 for a few tanks and you will notice the difference.
It's weird but I filled up my second tank with Shell 91 with no ethanol and the tank was initally showing 496 then it jumped to 501 and stayed until today...it is now at 488 km but I drove about 35 km since then.

Getting a reading of 10-11 l/100 km on sport (chassis only) but with the stop and go traffic, my average speed has been 29 km!

So seems like as others have said, sport mode is so much more efficient than comfort and Eco pro. Eco pro has been horrendous.

I will try higher octane on the next one but I'm happy with 490 km and it was cheaper than chevron 91 with 10% ethanol.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #106
peterdf
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Coupe

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [10.00]
I test drove cars for 6 months. I wanted a nice, big, sporty coupe or sedan. Then I did a lot of reading on the 2-series. It had everything I wanted, even though it was a "small" car. Rear headroom, legroom, and trunk space are some of the best I've ever seen in a coupe. I was so hooked after the test drive. I'd never driven anything that made me feel so connected as a driver.
      06-08-2017, 09:40 PM   #107
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

At first I was a little depressed about how much hard earned money I had just spent, and driving it took a little getting settled in, many differences from my other cars. A cross country road trip sealed the deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 05:03 AM   #108
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
If you have not fallen in love with your 2, drive another car for a while. I have rented half a dozen cars in the last couple of months and every time I get back into my 2, I know I made the right choice.
Appreciate 1
koston37.00
      06-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #109
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'd say just sell it to somebody who will appreciate it, and go get what DOES turn you on. Obviously a ton of us here who can't imagine NOT being head over heels, and if you aren't there yet, I doubt a tune and a few mods would make the diff (you'll just want to start a 'now I spent a ton on mods, and I still don't feel it' thread).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #110
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I'd say just sell it to somebody who will appreciate it, and go get what DOES turn you on. Obviously a ton of us here who can't imagine NOT being head over heels, and if you aren't there yet, I doubt a tune and a few mods would make the diff (you'll just want to start a 'now I spent a ton on mods, and I still don't feel it' thread).

I'm happy to say I'm there! It took about two tanks of gas but today, after feeling sick and having flu like symptoms, I became aware of how I felt great as I was driving my car. I have started talking to and patting my car.

It is not simply go liking the 2 series since I did choose to buy this car but specifically the car that you purchased.

It was simply getting to know each other. Ok, I'm slow and pragmatic.
Appreciate 1
koston37.00