THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Not loving my car yet. When/how for you?

05-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #67
rightrudder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post

I want a car that's more like a race car. The dials on the M235i are tuned more to luxury than sport, while the 1LE is dedicated to one mission.
I want a dedicated race car, plus an M240i to drive on the street!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #68
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Until you go on a road course. Sorry, but you're not keeping up with a 6th Gen Camaro SS 1LE on the track. You saw the Car and Driver Lightning Lap results just like everyone else. The SS 1LE finished 7 seconds ahead of the M2! The 1LE beat the Audi V-10 R8 by almost 2 seconds, and was less than a second behind the Porsche Cayman GT4. Your M240i will see the 1LE tail lights on a road course, that's all there is to it, tune or not.

I want a car that's more like a race car. The dials on the M235i are tuned more to luxury than sport, while the 1LE is dedicated to one mission.
You're right about the road course. I should have clarified that I meant straight line. But then, I'll probably track my car once a year or once every other. The impromptu highway runs are frequent.
      05-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #69
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

But ultimately buying a car based on specs is not necessarily going to lead to enjoyment of that car.

I think that hurts someone's enjoyment, some people always want more. No matter what car they have there is a better one out there and they are never happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #70
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast228i View Post
But ultimately buying a car based on specs is not necessarily going to lead to enjoyment of that car.

I think that hurts someone's enjoyment, some people always want more. No matter what car they have there is a better one out there and they are never happy.
Yeah sports cars should always be more about "feel" rather than just specs on a piece of paper.
      05-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #71
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. In fact, that's what happened to me with the M235i. There were no 6-speed manuals anywhere near me that I could test drive, so I bought the car based on magazine reviews and spec sheets for the most part. I did a lot of homework and research, and considered it for about a year before finally taking the plunge, but it was without a proper test drive.

And it's not that I don't like the car - I do like it. I'm just not in love with it because of the slight turbo lag and a bit of a sterile feel when it comes to driver communication with the vehicle. After taking a couple Camaro SS test drives, I confirmed that the LT1 engine is to die for. I couldn't care less about how fast it is in the 1/4 mile - it's that intoxicating sound and response.
      05-29-2017, 10:42 PM   #72
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

I don't know if I'll ever love this car, but I do really like it. It's partly because it's not the car I wanted. It was a compromise car for me.

I've now had the car for a week and just over 800 miles and I can say I do enjoy the car, when I can drive with the top down. As for performance, it's very very good for a I4 turbo; better than I expected. But there is one thing I really don't like... and it's the road feel. The steering is precise, but it's numb. I don't feel the road at all. 2 minor things are the exhaust sound... I wish it was a bit louder. The other thing is the brake dust... These M Sport brakes have the dustiest pads I've every seen on a car. I hoping to find something different to reduce the dust.

Next week I'll be doing an oil change since my break in period will be over then I'll give the go peddle a hard press to see how well this little car really does.. I'm hoping it can put a big smile on my face.. and maybe get me to love this car. But even if I never never love this car, I'm good with it since it's meeting the needs I purchased it for.. which mainly is good gas mileage (I'm averaging 28-31 mpg per fill up), AWD, and decent road manners (handling and acceleration) in a convertible.
      05-30-2017, 12:05 AM   #73
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
I don't know if I'll ever love this car, but I do really like it. It's partly because it's not the car I wanted. It was a compromise car for me....
Next week I'll be doing an oil change since my break in period will be over then I'll give the go peddle a hard press to see how well this little car really does.. I'm hoping it can put a big smile on my face.. and maybe get me to love this car. But even if I never never love this car, I'm good with it since it's meeting the needs I purchased it for.. which mainly is good gas mileage (I'm averaging 28-31 mpg per fill up), AWD, and decent road manners (handling and acceleration) in a convertible.
Will you be doing the oil change at the dealership?

Are you driving on freeways because that is great mileage. I converted it to l/100 km and it is about 8.4 litre/ 100km. I've been getting 14l/100km which is 17 mpg!
I'm mostly driving in comfort mode but a lot of stop and go traffic, no AC.

Last edited by Gabbykat; 05-31-2017 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 06:13 AM   #74
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbby View Post

Are you driving on freeways because that is great mileage. I converted it to l/100 km and it is about 8.4 litre/ gallon. I've been getting 14l/100km which is 17 mpg!
Try the Eco Pro mode while you are driving in traffic or inner city, it makes a tremendous diffrence at least on my vehicle, if I'm driving on a highway I use Eco Pro up to about 80km/h after that comfort in which also gives good fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #75
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Are you driving on freeways because that is great mileage. I converted it to l/100 km and it is about 8.4 litre/ gallon. I've been getting 14l/100km which is 17 mpg!

I'll do my own, in addition to the ones the dealer will be doing. I don't trust dealers or any quick lube place to do oil changes. I've seen it too many times where they don't do it, while saying they did or them strip the drain plug. Once I'm past the free oil change period, I'll put a Fumoto valve in to make oil changes easier.

As for MPG, yes, most of my driving is on the highway (ain't no freeways around here... dang tolls everywhere!).. I live 66.7 miles from my office (door to door) and since I live in the boonies, it's like I have to get on the highway to get anywhere. Also, the AC is is always on.. but I'm guessing it hasn't been running much lately since the weather has been pretty cool. I don't drive this car any different than I would any other car. If anything, I seem to be driving at higher speeds because it's so smooth.

As for you getting 17mpg, that seems really low to me. I've got a Ram 3500 w/Cummins and even that gets me 17mpg on average.. if city driving, it's 14mpg. Strictly hwy, I can eek out 20 mpgs around here. I use to do better, but I put on larger AT tires and it lost a couple miles per gallon.

With you getting 17 (I hope that's not based on Imperial gallons), I'm thinking you're in some really bad stop and go and/or you're really heavy on the go peddle. You might try what omera60 suggests with using Eco Pro. I've tried it, but I can't use the start/stop feature... that drives me crazy. Eco Pro seems to allow me to eek out an extra 1 or 2 mpgs compared to comfort mode, but I hate the throttle response. Once my break in period is over, no more Eco Pro for me .. unless I'm on a long road trip.

Good luck and let me know if you mpgs improve. I'm expecting mine to improve even more once I get around 10K miles. Every vehicle I've had seemed to get better mpgs as I got closer to 10K and up to 30k miles.

BTW, I looked at the lie-o-meter before I came in and it was showing 31.1 mpgs on the current tank. I'm at half tank now.

Last edited by crabu2; 05-30-2017 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #76
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:

I've now had the car for a week and just over 800 miles and I can say I do enjoy the car, when I can drive with the top down.
Top down makes all the difference in the world. And with the windscreen in and windows up, it's quite feasible to go top down on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #77
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep

So I drove 35 miles to the dealer for an oil change.

This included about 3 minutes of warm up in the drive way. This was in eco pro.

Average speed was 54.4 but I was going 65-70 mph on the freeway.

MPG 38.8
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      05-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #78
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Was on the fence with the m235i prior to owning. Now that it's paid for, and have started my modding journey, I'm feeling like it's going to be a great relationship. I suspect 5-7 years before I go onto the next "thing".

There are not a lot of smaller sporty German Coupe(s) with 6spd, RWD, let alone inline turbo engines out there that can be had in our price range. For that, I made my decision to go the "mod journey" on a 12 month old CPO m235i. Which all in, mods included, will still be under the cost of a new M235i/M240i with the same factory equipment, and well under the cost of a base M2. It will most likely outperform a factory M2 with equal driving skill with the supporting mods (suspension mods, coils, brake work, etc).

I guess some strive to have the best model, and some strive to have the best time with theirs. I'm on of those who will never be happy with a stock un-modded car, so for that I will always get a car with room to grow, as I do.

Last edited by Dylan86; 05-30-2017 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #79
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Possibly liking the car too much?

I saw it today. CHP had a decked out new M4 pulled over to the side of the road. I think the M4 dude was loving his car... then hating it.

Your license, where is your license?

Back there man, on the bumper!

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 10:17 PM   #80
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So I drove 35 miles to the dealer for an oil change.

This included about 3 minutes of warm up in the drive way. This was in eco pro.

Average speed was 54.4 but I was going 65-70 mph on the freeway.

MPG 38.8
I just filled up and drove home.. just about 35 miles.. hit 14 of the 16 traffic lights, and about 1/2 was country roads.. Got 34.1 mpg in Eco Pro with start/stop turned off.
      05-31-2017, 12:19 AM   #81
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I just filled up and drove home.. just about 35 miles.. hit 14 of the 16 traffic lights, and about 1/2 was country roads.. Got 34.1 mpg in Eco Pro with start/stop turned off.
Nice! I will say I probably only had half as many traffic lights.

I'm certainly happy with the MPGs I have been getting.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 12:25 AM   #82
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that is 6.8 litre/ 100 km. My dash is still showing 14.4 litre/ 100 km. I don't know if it is current or I have to reset it manually, I'd thought it shows the most current X km. I have been in really really bad traffic lately with the nice weekend weather.

I am going to try the Eco pro with the stop/start engine turned off.

Wasn't sure it the fuel consumption is affected by the babying break in. The first day, I pushed it hard and then after a few days, dialed it back and kept it under 3000 rpm. Now, I am pushing it to 3000 rpm whenever I get the chance and haven't had a clear path to go beyond. I'm still on my second tank of gas at the half way mark...under 500 km so far, approx 300 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 12:31 AM   #83
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that is 6.8 litre/ 100 km. My dash is still showing 14.4 litre/ 100 km. I don't know if it is current or I have to reset it manually, I'd thought it shows the most current X km. I have been in really really bad traffic lately with the nice weekend weather.

Wasn't sure it the fuel consumption is affected by the babying break in. The first day, I pushed it hard and then after a few days, dialed it back and kept it under 3000 rpm. Now, I am pushing it to 3000 rpm whenever I get the chance and haven't had a clear path to go beyond. I'm still on my second tank of gas at the half way mark...under 500 km so far, approx 300 miles.
Next time you fill up, reset it. It's easy, just hold the BC (I think that's what it's called) button in and it will zero out whatever you have it selected to. If you don't reset, you won't know how you're doing because it's cumulative.
      05-31-2017, 05:47 AM   #84
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:

I actually record mileage after every trip since I got the car last year and have been running a regression on the data for no other reason than I'm interested in the speed/economy relationship and I'm a geek at heart. I plan to share the data at the 1 year mark. What I do is monitor the trip info from the vehicle status page on iDrive. It will reset everyday or you can reset it manually after every trip. That function provides a trip timer as well which is handy.

As far as fuel consumption, I noticed less of a difference between Eco and Comfort mode driving economy results as the engine broke in. I believe BMW states it as a 3-4% improvement overall and after the break-in that seems about right to me. Even in the M240i on a morning commute of about 26 miles with mixed driving modes and about 50% highway in lighter traffic I'm seeing around 32 mpg and have seen as high as 34.4 mpg hitting all the lights right in Eco the whole way. Overall, the car is showing a cumulative average of 26.5 mpg. Of course that was before my Dinan midpipe install- I definitely spend more time in Sport and working the paddles, so I expect overall results to suffer- but for a good reason
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 07:18 AM   #85
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Glad I'm not the only spreadsheet geek, but I don't use the daily data dump, just the per-tank data and the cumulative. I have found that my car does the best (and about the same) on either twisty mountain driving, or steady highway - just over 30mpg for those tanks, and momentary readings can get up to about 36. I'm mostly in comfort, sport for the mountains, and I've only used Eco mode for cumulative of about 15minutes total, as I really can't get used to the auto stop.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 07:25 AM   #86
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Until you go on a road course. Sorry, but you're not keeping up with a 6th Gen Camaro SS 1LE on the track. You saw the Car and Driver Lightning Lap results just like everyone else. The SS 1LE finished 7 seconds ahead of the M2! The 1LE beat the Audi V-10 R8 by almost 2 seconds, and was less than a second behind the Porsche Cayman GT4. Your M240i will see the 1LE tail lights on a road course, that's all there is to it, tune or not.

But isn't that fantastic track performance using their computerized handling package - the one that you just mash the throttle and let the computer figure out power delivery and suspension tweaks moment-by-moment? I know that system can outdo pro drivers, but it does seem just a tad boring and autonomous to me. And I don't think that anything you can buy from a dealer (for less than about $200K) could be called a 'dedicated track car', and certainly not the Camaro, even with the 1LE.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:40 AM   #87
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Next time you fill up, reset it. It's easy, just hold the BC (I think that's what it's called) button in and it will zero out whatever you have it selected to. If you don't reset, you won't know how you're doing because it's cumulative.
I press tat one button under the cluster, on the left bottom after I fill up just to see how far I get compared to my Volvo and was fairly impressed...although the I filled up with 100 km left in the tank.

I have to figure out how to reset the average km consumption meter. Is that in I drive?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:43 AM   #88
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I press tat one button under the cluster, on the left bottom after I fill up just to see how far I get compared to my Volvo and was fairly impressed...although the I filled up with 100 km left in the tank.

I have to figure out how to reset the average km consumption meter. Is that in I drive?

You're pressing the trip computer button. You need to press the button on the end of the blinker stalk... It's the button you use to scroll through the different options. Just hold that button in and it'll reset.

BTW, I used Eco Pro on my drive in to work today... It did no better than comfort mode.. When I parked, it was showing 30.6 mpg.