THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 230i question

04-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

I always loved the E30 M3. the way you could use ALL of its power and really just have a blast driving it. That car was not super fast but revved so freely and gripped so well it was just incredibly fun to drive. My F80 M3 hits close to 75mph in 2nd gear! its borderline too fast to really enjoy on the streets here. tires spinning or traction control bogging down the fun. i want a car i can just rip on wide open and enjoy on curvy back roads. The F80 is just too much power for me around here anymore. Should i be looking at a 6 speed 230i with track package? i think the M240 may be too close to the F80 with all that torque. How close is the 230i in terms of being enjoyable to drive to the E30 M3?

I already have a GS-F for a daily driver. i want something that's just pure fun.

Crazy talk.....i know ?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

I've never driven an E30, but I don't think it's crazy talk. I have a 228i with track package (and the 8AT). I can putter around in comfort mode on the daily commute and get decent gas mileage, but you can also put her in sport/+ mode - then try accelerating onto on-ramps, going around traffic circles a little too fast, taking off from stop lights, cutting in and out of traffic, carving up some backroads...it is legitimately fun and you can use all the power without having to worry too much about hurting someone or getting thrown in jail.

I would not describe the engine as "free-revving", however. It has sollid torque low-down and in the mid-range but starts to run out of puff somewhat at high revs. From reviews I've read about the new engine, that one may be a tad bit toned down, but still very similar to the N20. I'm guessing the 230i is still a fun car for most people. Go check one out with a test drive
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

I just happened to watch this video yesterday and was thinking how a E30 would compare to a 230i. Problem is, they did the comparison using a modified E30 and a 340i.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-e...nition-wvideo/
      04-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
430409M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ///M2 PE

The 230i will be much more pushable on public roads, unlike the larger motors mentioned. But the power delivery of the modern turbo motors will be nothing like the old fashioned NA motors. There's no work keeping the car in its power band. It's much easier to drive the new car fast unlike the good old e30s.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Chili_Palmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i Estoril Blue 6MT

I too have never driven the E30 M3 but I did just pick up a new 230i a little over a month ago with the track package and a manual. I can say that it is a peppy car that I would put more in line with what you are looking for. No it will not win any all out drag races but it is well balanced and has plenty of power for fun back road driving. I highly recommend if you are seriously looking to get into a 230i.
      04-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

I'd consider a new Miata or a used s2000.
      04-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice
I'd consider a new Miata or a used s2000.
i'm 6'6". i don't fit in a Miata and don't like verts. i had an S2000. Great engine and gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Have about 3,000 miles on my 230 and really like it, but it's not love. RWD 6 speed manual, coming from lower powered cars this should be great, but it's only really good. It is really stuck to the road and has plenty of HP and rpm but the nanny and turbo lag are disappointing. A tiger without teeth, or even a roar. It drives beautifully at 100 mph which should be enough for the back roads, but low end torque is weak. I'd have more fun with a normally aspirated engine with less hp. Handling is probably great but I don't have enough miles on it (too much expressway so far) to push the envelope.

OTOH, if you're ok with turbo lag this is a great car. The nanny can be a crutch but she can be muted. And Valencia Orange gets compliments everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman
Have about 3,000 miles on my 230 and really like it, but it's not love. RWD 6 speed manual, coming from lower powered cars this should be great, but it's only really good. It is really stuck to the road and has plenty of HP and rpm but the nanny and turbo lag are disappointing. A tiger without teeth, or even a roar. It drives beautifully at 100 mph which should be enough for the back roads, but low end torque is weak. I'd have more fun with a normally aspirated engine with less hp. Handling is probably great but I don't have enough miles on it (too much expressway so far) to push the envelope.

OTOH, if you're ok with turbo lag this is a great car. The nanny can be a crutch but she can be muted. And Valencia Orange gets compliments everywhere.
Post some pics of that orange!! Would you rather have gotten the M240i?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
In case he doesn't have any handy, here are some, seen before....the sun loves this paint!

Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:14 PM   #11
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:
In case he doesn't have any handy, here are some, seen before....the sun loves this paint!

looks amazing!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:17 PM   #12
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I have a 228ix Msport 8AT vert and feel it is enough car for me. Turbo lag is no issue in sport using paddles and it handles great. Reality is you can drive this car to the limit and it is quick enough to get you in trouble especially on roads today. You can get a tune or other performance options to give you more than enough grunt and not break the bank. I owned 2 S2000's and like this better. More comfortable ride and creature comforts.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
looks amazing!!
And, it's essentially a M228i....that is, what you are considering...a 228 (now 230) with track package, 6 speed, and the M4 lower control arm upgrade is great! Being on the moon (Michigan roads), I did have to take wheel size down to 17, but the car is a lot of fun every day and gets a good work out....remember, as we've sort of been saying in this thread....more fun to drive a slower fast than a faster car slow, but this car is not slow...just a tick behind a 240.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #14
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:
looks amazing!!
And, it's essentially a M228i....that is, what you are considering...a 228 (now 230) with track package, 6 speed, and the M4 lower control arm upgrade is great! Being on the moon (Michigan roads), I did have to take wheel size down to 17, but the car is a lot of fun every day and gets a good work out....remember, as we've sort of been saying in this thread....more fun to drive a slower fast than a faster car slow, but this car is not slow...just a tick behind a 240.
I think thats it. drive a slower car fast is way more fun than driving a fast car slow. i want to be able to turn off the nannies and just rip on the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:54 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think thats it. drive a slower car fast is way more fun than driving a fast car slow. i want to be able to turn off the nannies and just rip on the car.
BTW, in order to get orange, if you want that, you need to bypass MSport (which is cosmetic once you have the Track handling Package) and then you can install, if you like it, the MPerformance rear spoiler instead of the much smaller MSport one.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 11:24 PM   #16
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Quote:
I always loved the E30 M3. the way you could use ALL of its power and really just have a blast driving it. That car was not super fast but revved so freely and gripped so well it was just incredibly fun to drive. My F80 M3 hits close to 75mph in 2nd gear! its borderline too fast to really enjoy on the streets here. tires spinning or traction control bogging down the fun. i want a car i can just rip on wide open and enjoy on curvy back roads. The F80 is just too much power for me around here anymore. Should i be looking at a 6 speed 230i with track package? i think the M240 may be too close to the F80 with all that torque. How close is the 230i in terms of being enjoyable to drive to the E30 M3?

I already have a GS-F for a daily driver. i want something that's just pure fun.

Crazy talk.....i know ?
I don't think it's crazy talk at all... however I think you would miss not having that extra power. The BMW I had before my 228i was a 07 335i. The 335i just had that extra power at every speed. While my 228i gives me gobs of enjoyment, I wouldn't turn down a 240i. The 228i is plenty fast and plenty fun though, and you can get some revs out of it without going to jail.

I understand what you are saying, it's the same reason I wouldn't get an m2. Unless I could afford it track it regularly...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #17
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep

trying to decide between 230i with track package, M sport and 6 speed, or M240i Xdrive with 8spd auto.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #18
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep

Drive both and see what you think. The only thing it will only cost you is a few hours of your time.

I see you are up north, I can't say I have experience with winter weather driving, but I would think the M240I xdrive auto would be the better option if you plan to drive it year round. Since you have a m3 now, the 230i may not be enough power but you don't know until you drive it.

Also you have to ask your self if you really like rowing the gears? Will you miss not shifting? I don't, and the 8spd is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #19
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I have to say that if you had asked me, orange would be one of the last colors I'd ever pick for a car, but having seen several pics of the Valencia it may be my new favorite, at least in the 'candies' (sorry, off topic a bit).

And for the OP, second on the 'try 'em both and decide'. MT vs AT is a big difference, as is AWD vs RWD; perhaps moreso than the power difference. I'd also add the suggestion to consider a 230iX if you like the AWD dynamic - lots of fun in performance driving too. Personally I can count on one hand the number of times I wished I had more power in my 228; with the 8-speed and a torque curve that starts below 2k, it isn't hard to get it into the power band, or out of the sane speed range (I am now 'reasonably confident' that my car did indeed get the increased speed limiter w/ the summer tires). This summer I'm going to get good about paddle-downshifting. If you floor it while pulling the left paddle it drops you to lowest possible gear (like a super-kickdown), but I'm still not 'programmed' for the move, so sometimes have a little lag when dropping it in traffic or on a rolling start.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #20
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
trying to decide between 230i with track package, M sport and 6 speed, or M240i Xdrive with 8spd auto.
Any update on what you decided?
Appreciate 0