THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Start Up Exhaust and Other Concerns

07-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #23
Jimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i with MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Whats the advantage of removing it? Just louder at all times?
And whats the disadvantage of disconnecting it?? Just un-plug and that's it?
I'd like little louder exhaust until my M Perf one arrives.
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 E92 M3; Eisenmann Race Exhaust / Dinan 3.62 Limited Slip Differential / Dinan Software / Dinan High-Flow Intake / Dinan Camber Plates / Dinan Lowering Springs / Dinan Sway-Bars
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #24
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Yes you can just unplug. Wrapping it with electrical tape would be advisable. But do it after a start up and the left side valve is open. Otherwise you unplug with valve closed.

You will get a better sound change but nothing deeply appreciable. The first 30 seconds of start is great with stock and MPE. An aux air pump has performed its task of keeping valve closed to warm manifold quicker up front & burn those terrible, CAFE extra gases on start up. Arrrgh! Once the 30 secs. are finished, then valve opens and exhaust tones down a LOT.

BTW-- The MPE does get better as it gets broken in, [1000Mi.+] but it is not a deep loud sound by any means after those 30 seconds are finished up front. Trying to get ride of the pump is not on my agenda--no need for codes being thrown, or too rich a mixture. Hope this helps some.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #25
Jimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i with MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
Yes you can just unplug. Wrapping it with electrical tape would be advisable. But do it after a start up and the left side valve is open. Otherwise you unplug with valve closed.

You will get a better sound change but nothing deeply appreciable. The first 30 seconds of start is great with stock and MPE. An aux air pump has performed its task of keeping valve closed to warm manifold quicker up front & burn those terrible, CAFE extra gases on start up. Arrrgh! Once the 30 secs. are finished, then valve opens and exhaust tones down a LOT.

BTW-- The MPE does get better as it gets broken in, [1000Mi.+] but it is not a deep loud sound by any means after those 30 seconds are finished up front. Trying to get ride of the pump is not on my agenda--no need for codes being thrown, or too rich a mixture. Hope this helps some.
Thanks so much. I just don't want to do anything "wrong" or create possible issues (its a lease). So start the car, let it warm up enough to let other valve open, crawl under car and unplug this and tape it up out of the way? Shouldn't throw any codes or anything? Is it worth it for sound or not enough of a difference to bother?
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 E92 M3; Eisenmann Race Exhaust / Dinan 3.62 Limited Slip Differential / Dinan Software / Dinan High-Flow Intake / Dinan Camber Plates / Dinan Lowering Springs / Dinan Sway-Bars
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #26
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

The idle sound is measurably less with both open.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #27
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Above is correct...it is less when valve is open after those 30 seconds. That's when it really quiets down.

I did not try unplugging with valve closed, ie. before system was started. That option would just mean you have the left sided valve always closed, and right pipe open.

But no code is thrown unplugging it and taping up out of way--after it opens up. Just know its not much different, until muffler gets "broke" in a bit. It takes a while and some heat cycles.

BUT the valve is just now always open, and you will still get a heartier sound on start up--and yes, it will still quiet down after the pump has done its work, even unplugged.

Try it and if you don't like it, then just plugg'er back in. No real effort...no loss really. It did get a little deeper after a 1000 miles or so.

Last edited by zkeeper; 07-04-2014 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0