THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Vorshlag camber plates installed

07-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #177
Skycaptain
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM235i View Post
Thanks I appreciate the insight. I was all set to go LCA now I'm not sure....
The Lca and ts seems to be a winner here and gives some camber. The vorshlag hasn't been proven by consumers yet and taking the word from the manufacturer which should be good as they are a reputable company.
Will the lca and ts give you enough camber for your desired driving?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #178
MyM235i
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycaptain View Post
The Lca and ts seems to be a winner here and gives some camber. The vorshlag hasn't been proven by consumers yet and taking the word from the manufacturer which should be good as they are a reputable company.
Will the lca and ts give you enough camber for your desired driving?
I'm street only however I have trashed the shoulders of my front tires. I would hope that LCA would be enough to even out tire wear. That's the motivator for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #179
Skycaptain
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM235i View Post
I'm street only however I have trashed the shoulders of my front tires. I would hope that LCA would be enough to even out tire wear. That's the motivator for me.
I'm not sure. From what I've read it should give you about Neg 1 degree. And different tyres with stiffer sidewalls will be a big help.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #180
kthor703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Hey all,

New to 2addicts here. Just picked up a 2015 m235i and looking to dial in some camber for track use. Anybody have updated impressions on this new version?

Have read all the camber plate threads pretty extensively. Looking for something that uses the OEM spring isolator.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 02:42 PM   #181
bubbajan21
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I just read through this entire thread (Along with the K-Mac and other threads linked in here) in search of a streetable camber plate. I find it hard to believe that no one can come up with a camber plate that works on the street without excuses from manufacturers.

Has anyone tried the revised Vorshlag plates with spring isolator installed?
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2018, 01:14 AM   #182
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
Do the Vorshlag plates also allow for caster adjustment?

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 05:42 AM   #183
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Nope, there is limited area to work with. If you need caster adjustment Powerflex makes a an adjustable bushing for the front upper control arm (RWD only).

All the camber plates work on the street. But NVH is part of the game. You will hear more noises. If you really need the camber on the street then you'll accept the noises
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #184
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Nope, there is limited area to work with. If you need caster adjustment Powerflex makes a an adjustable bushing for the front upper control arm (RWD only).

All the camber plates work on the street. But NVH is part of the game. You will hear more noises. If you really need the camber on the street then you'll accept the noises
I already have the bushings lol, was just wondering if plates would be able to further mitigate the caster change from the friggin LCAs

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #185
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Go back to original LCA's, and get camber plates This shit is all trial and error, just because they fit doesn't mean you should fit them

You could always try the M235 Racing LCA's

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0942

Part #6 and #10. I bet no one has tried that yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #186
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
Quote:
Go back to original LCA's, and get camber plates This shit is all trial and error, just because they fit doesn't mean you should fit them

You could always try the M235 Racing LCA's

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0942

Part #6 and #10. I bet no one has tried that yet.
Wish I had the money to throw away on so much trial and error lol. I do massively regret not getting plates in the first place, but everyone online makes it sound like getting plates will destroy the car or something

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #187
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Camber plates don't destroy cars, idiots destroy cars. There's no need for a daily driver to add 3 degrees of camber for a road car. If you are not tracking the car, then it's really no point. If you need that type of front-end grip on the street then you are obviously driving dangerously. But do what you want

Camber plates increase NVH nothing less. And it's minimal, you hear a little more suspension and road noise for the first few days, and then it goes away... You get accustomed to it. The F22/F30 camber plate designs had a few hurdles and bumps in the beginning, bad designs, poor bearings, variety of design methodologies. Each has it's own strength and weakness. TC Kline, GC, Vorshlag, Dinan, etc.. I've found out through tracking with camber plates like anything else things wear out and need replacements and inspection. Just another thing to consider.

The right options. IMO:
1. Coilovers w/ their plates
2. OEM w/ aftermarket plates (GC or Vorshlag)

Sorry for the rants, but I hope it helps a little.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #188
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

Camber plates increase NVH nothing less. And it's minimal, you hear a little more suspension and road noise for the first few days, and then it goes away... You get accustomed to it.
Not sure I agree with this, I have Vorshlag plates and Ohlins Struts, and the road noise transmitted increased significantly.
No bangs, clunks or twangs though.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #189
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Camber plates don't destroy cars, idiots destroy cars. There's no need for a daily driver to add 3 degrees of camber for a road car. If you are not tracking the car, then it's really no point. If you need that type of front-end grip on the street then you are obviously driving dangerously. But do what you want

Camber plates increase NVH nothing less. And it's minimal, you hear a little more suspension and road noise for the first few days, and then it goes away... You get accustomed to it. The F22/F30 camber plate designs had a few hurdles and bumps in the beginning, bad designs, poor bearings, variety of design methodologies. Each has it's own strength and weakness. TC Kline, GC, Vorshlag, Dinan, etc.. I've found out through tracking with camber plates like anything else things wear out and need replacements and inspection. Just another thing to consider.

The right options. IMO:
1. Coilovers w/ their plates
2. OEM w/ aftermarket plates (GC or Vorshlag)

Sorry for the rants, but I hope it helps a little.
I drive with -3 front camber everyday on my daily driver No issues or NVH. Rotate your wheels and have a good alignment I should probably rotate mine this weekend.

Camber plates should not be wearing out like they seem to do with the solutions listed in this thread. They should also not have the NVH that is so prevalent. Track car or daily driver. Other cars seem to have the same issue when adding camber plates to OEM suspension. It's just not a good solution. Better off with control arms or camber arms that allow camber adjustment.

I've never used just camber plates. Just seems like a waste of time and money considering all the headaches and continued maintenance of them.

If it's a matter of budget then just put your camber plate money towards some BC Coilovers and be done with the headache. Good budget coilover.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #190
SpudGT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Question Low Speed Rattle?

My M235i xDrive is used mostly as a daily driver, but I also like to attend an occasional AutoX. Also hoping to make it to a couple track days this year. Needed to dial in some negative camber to help save the outer shoulders of my tires, so I just installed Vorshlag camber plates (also added Dinan springs while I was at it).

The Vorshlag camber plates I received accommodated the stock isolator/dust boot nicely and I haven't heard any odd noises that are obviously coming from the springs.

I know that camber plates come with a NVH penalty, but I am not sure what noises are 'normal' versus noises that are a sign of trouble.

I think I am hearing what folks describe as a 'low speed rattle' (although it can also be heard at higher speeds if the conditions are right). It happens when travelling over uneven pavement and the suspension has to work.

I have pulled the setup apart and checked for signs of wear or loose hardware, everything looked ok. I gave the top nuts a good shot with my impact wrench to make sure they are tight. These plates are built like a tank, hard to imagine anything is rattling with the hardware tight. Guess I am a bit paranoid about ruining the spherical bearings.

I have tried to capture the sound in a couple videos, but it's not the same as being in the car. Anyone recognize these suspension noises?

https://youtu.be/ZVe6TAvB_Qg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO0vm1VChG0
Appreciate 1
DaFish156.50
      03-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #191
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

That noise is typical of any spherical bearing camber plate on these cars. "Normal".

The only plate I tried that didn't have that noise was the K-MAC, which has an elastomer-suspended washer instead of a spherical bearing. Unfortunately, the K-MACs had other issues.
DaFish156.50
      03-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #192
SpudGT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
That noise is typical of any spherical bearing camber plate on these cars. "Normal".
Many thanks for confirming the noise is 'normal', I can finally stop second guessing my installation. I really appreciate all your helpful posts, they are a great resource

I think the Vorshlag plates are beautifully made, but I wish we had other good camber plate options for cars that are primarily daily drivers. Folks get into my car and frequently comment on the noise (basically asking if its broken). But gotta have more negative camber!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #193
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudGT View Post
Many thanks for confirming the noise is 'normal', I can finally stop second guessing my installation. I really appreciate all your helpful posts, they are a great resource
My pleasure. Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
I think the Vorshlag plates are beautifully made, but I wish we had other good camber plate options for cars that are primarily daily drivers. Folks get into my car and frequently comment on the noise (basically asking if its broken). But gotta have more negative camber!
You don't have any other front suspension mods, right? Just Dinan springs?
      03-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #194
SpudGT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
You don't have any other front suspension mods, right? Just Dinan springs?
Yes, just the camber plates and the Dinan springs.

FWIW, I am currently running a square setup:
- 18x8.0 ET42
- 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport

I went with the camber plates hoping for easy camber adjustments up to -2.5 degrees (and keeping the front wheels located to avoid any possibility of rubbing).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #195
issaguzzi
Rep
Drives: '16 m235i 6MT

Quote:
I have tried to capture the sound in a couple videos, but it's not the same as being in the car. Anyone recognize these suspension noises?
I have a 2016 m235i 6MT with a near identical setup. I have Dinan Sport springs and bumpstops, and also have Vorshlag camber plates. The wheels are stock but an 18x8.5 ET35 square set is coming soon.

Upon my initial installation of the plates, I had the very same clunk at low speeds that is in your videos. Vorshlag guys suggested that the top nut was not tight enough. The things had been installed professionally and torqued properly with an impact wrench to begin with but nonetheless I checked and rechecked it. I did two track days with that setup but in the following weeks the noise drove me nuts on the streets, so I took them off and sent them to Vorshlag for an inspection that they offered. Vorshlag folks found -- verbatim quote -- "brinelling of the radial bearing in the perch" -- so they replaced the radial bearings and rebuilt the plates. I have yet to put them back on to see if things are any different.

Did you show the videos to Vorshlag? Curious what they'd say. I was never able to capture the sound properly to show them but they maintained in our conversations that there should not be any clunking of any kind.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 01:12 PM   #196
SpudGT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by issaguzzi View Post
Did you show the videos to Vorshlag?
I did send the videos (and a few of pictures I took after disassembling the drivers side to inspect it) to Vorshlag yesterday, haven't heard back from them yet.

I also chatted with Vorshlag before I took the videos and they said that improperly tightened top nuts are a very common source of noise troubles. They even made a video on the proper way to tighten the top nut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bab6x47CSs
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #197
SpudGT
Private
United_States
Rep

Mystery Unsolved

Had a chance to talk to the Vorshlag folks today about my videos and pictures; they spent a good bit of time talking to me and it seemed like they were really trying to help.

Bottom line is the audio recording isn't anything like being in the car, so it didn't really help to pinpoint a specific cause. The sound is something beyond increased road noise, and as such isn't expected. The usual suspects are loose top nuts or sway bar endlinks, both of which I think are tight.

Now the question is: are the camber plates causing the noise, or simply transmitting the noise. In the transmitted case, I suppose it could be something normal or something busted.

I could send the plates back and have them inspected. But I think a real solution would involve getting the entire car down to Texas so they could dig into it ... they offered to bring it into the shop and try to figure it out. Much too far away for that unfortunately.

Anyone with similar issues close to Vorshlag?

Last edited by SpudGT; 03-01-2018 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #198
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Had a chance to talk to the Vorshlag folks today about my videos and pictures; they spent a good bit of time talking to me and it seemed like they were really trying to help.

Bottom line is the audio recording isn't anything like being in the car, so it didn't really help to pinpoint a specific cause. The sound is something beyond increased road noise, and as such isn't expected. The usual suspects are loose top nuts or sway bar endlinks, both of which I think are tight.

Now the question is: are the camber plates causing the noise, or simply transmitting the noise. In the transmitted case, I suppose it could be something normal or something busted.

I could send the plates back and have them inspected. But I think a real solution would involve getting the entire car down to Texas so they could dig into it ... they offered to bring it into the shop and try to figure it out. Much too far away for that unfortunately.

Anyone with similar issues close to Vorshlag?
Sometimes internal valving noise can be heard as clunk through camber plates.
Appreciate 0