THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Hit a pothole and got a flat how do I proceed???

02-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #23
Acalamito321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i x drive black/red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyorky2428 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalamito321 View Post
Problem is it's gonna be more than a day I'm talking to ppl about how long the rim will take now, the tires will be here tmm and they will be 225s 255s instead of the current 225s all around
Not sure how it's a problem if you're going to let the car sit in the driveway for a few days anyway?
Well if I can't leave it more than just tmm I'm going to get one tire put on tmm and the rest with the new rims next week
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #24
Stepanyan
Rep
Drives: 23 M4cx Convertible

Quote:
I hit a pothole last nice and got a flat tire in the front left tire of my m235i
I know this is not what you asked but you might want to take a look at this if you hit the pothole in NYC: http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/se...ainst-the-city

The website itself says "You can file a personal injury and property damage claim against the City or contractors hired by the City including damage to a vehicle from a pothole."

A friend of mine did it in LA and it worked. He sent photographs of the pothole with location information and the payment receipts for the tire and the wheel.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #25
Acalamito321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanyan View Post
Quote:
I hit a pothole last nice and got a flat tire in the front left tire of my m235i
I know this is not what you asked but you might want to take a look at this if you hit the pothole in NYC: http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/se...ainst-the-city

The website itself says "You can file a personal injury and property damage claim against the City or contractors hired by the City including damage to a vehicle from a pothole."

A friend of mine did it in LA and it worked. He sent photographs of the pothole with location information and the payment receipts for the tire and the wheel.
Thank you,will do this once I can go out there to take pics of the pothole
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:33 PM   #26
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
I hit a pothole last nice and got a flat tire in the front left tire of my m235i they are the p7 run flats and I was planning on replacing them anyway with staggered mpss and vmr wheels.
I was able to drive the car back into my driveway but the problem is the tires will take until Thursday to come and the wheels will take 3-5 days,
Is it safe to leave the car on the run flat in the driveway for that long or will it damage my rim?

If it is, will I be able to drive it to a shop to have the new wheels and rims put on when they come?

What is the best way to go about this situation considering I'm buying new wheels and tires anyway but I do not want to damage the old rim or spend ridiculous amounts of money having it towed to bmw and then having them charge me an arm and a leg to mount and balance the new wheels on my car

Please help
If you can’t safely drive it,either bmw will tow if it’s under the 48 50,000 roadside assistance or your insurance or AAA.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #27
Acalamito321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Quote:
I hit a pothole last nice and got a flat tire in the front left tire of my m235i they are the p7 run flats and I was planning on replacing them anyway with staggered mpss and vmr wheels.
I was able to drive the car back into my driveway but the problem is the tires will take until Thursday to come and the wheels will take 3-5 days,
Is it safe to leave the car on the run flat in the driveway for that long or will it damage my rim?

If it is, will I be able to drive it to a shop to have the new wheels and rims put on when they come?

What is the best way to go about this situation considering I'm buying new wheels and tires anyway but I do not want to damage the old rim or spend ridiculous amounts of money having it towed to bmw and then having them charge me an arm and a leg to mount and balance the new wheels on my car

Please help
If you can’t safely drive it,either bmw will tow if it’s under the 48 50,000 roadside assistance or your insurance or AAA.
Yea but they only tow to bmw and I don't wanna pay an arm and a leg for them to put the tires and rims on

I'm gonna put one tire on tmm where I got the flat at pep boys then park it in the driveway until all the rims come then put all the new tires and rims on

The front left will only have about 8 Miles more on it compared to the other 3, shouldn't be too big a deal
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #28
phljeeper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I was able to get my P7 replaced for free under warranty from Perelli. Just call them and take the it to a shop they recommend and it is covered. Blew mine out in NYC pothole too two weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #29
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by phljeeper View Post
I was able to get my P7 replaced for free under warranty from Perelli. Just call them and take the it to a shop they recommend and it is covered. Blew mine out in NYC pothole too two weeks ago.
What did you have to do to prove it? I don't know where mine was damaged; I just noticed that the sidewall is gone. My new tire arrives today; having it mounted tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #30
phljeeper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripitz View Post
What did you have to do to prove it? I don't know where mine was damaged; I just noticed that the sidewall is gone. My new tire arrives today; having it mounted tomorrow.
No proof by me. I called Pirelli and they worked with the shop that was a Pirelli certified repair shop and the shop validated the tire tread depth and sent it to Pirelli for me. They shouldn’t charge you for the replacement tire if near new otherwise they pro-rate the use and do a partial credit. Mine were less than 1 year old and only 7k miles so new tire was free. All I paid for was mount and balance.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #31
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Upgrade to an m4
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #32
Acalamito321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
Upgrade to an m4
M2****
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #33
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'm thinking Hum-V the way those roads sound...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #34
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I'm thinking Hum-V the way those roads sound...
When this is the front page of the local paper, you know you're in for trouble...

Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #35
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Had my new Pirelli installed today. The tire shop called Pirelli and I will be getting at least some coverage based on the wear on the tire. Thanks for the help.

I wonder if this is a flawed/weak tire as I have never been able to get a tire manufacturer to really warranty their tires like Pirelli just did.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #36
Acalamito321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Had my new Pirelli installed today. The tire shop called Pirelli and I will be getting at least some coverage based on the wear on the tire. Thanks for the help.

I wonder if this is a flawed/weak tire as I have never been able to get a tire manufacturer to really warranty their tires like Pirelli just did.
Idk but tire rack gave me 2 year tire insurance for any wear and tear including potholes on my new Michelin pilot supersports
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #37
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Idk but tire rack gave me 2 year tire insurance for any wear and tear including potholes on my new Michelin pilot supersports
Yeah there can be a couple of different coverages on the same tire. Say you buy a Michelin from TR and there's the Michelin warranty and also the Tire Rack road hazard.

Tire Rack is great if getting wheels and tires usually comes out cheaper and you get the 2 year road hazard. Especially since they mount and balance for free. And if you pick up in Delaware at least there's no shipping or tax, I've done that a few times. BUT if you use the road hazard you do need to pay to get the tire mounted and balanced.

If you are just getting tires and have to pay to mount and balance anyway, you're sometimes (often in my experience) better off getting the tires from your local shop and getting road hazard insurance there. Doing it that way if you need one replaced you do NOT have to pay for a mount and balance.

On my M235 coupe I had to replace 3 or 4 tires I forget exactly but never had to pay for anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #38
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I just purchased my car CPO 2 weeks ago and have no records/proof of anything for the Pirellis.

I've never had luck claiming anything with Michelin. TR is good though.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #39
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
I just purchased my car CPO 2 weeks ago and have no records/proof of anything for the Pirellis.

I've never had luck claiming anything with Michelin. TR is good though.
Are the tires new? Some local tire shops will sell you road hazard on new tires for a car you just bought even though you didn't get the tires from them. Usually $100 or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #40
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Are the tires new? Some local tire shops will sell you road hazard on new tires for a car you just bought even though you didn't get the tires from them. Usually $100 or so.
Tires are pretty much new. If I remember the carfax correctly they're probably 3k miles old. Shop said not necessary to replace both tires.

Anecdotally it seems like these tires are problematic. I've gone years without issues on a lot of cars with low profile tires. Shocking that we destroyed the sidewall without knowing which hit did it. The wheel is also not bent; the wheel balanced up almost perfect and only took one small weight... Usually the wheel will also get damaged when a tire sidewall gets destroyed in my experience (unless it is a forged wheel, which these are not).
Appreciate 0