THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery PCD and the Blue Ridge Parkway

07-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
Pinghacker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i

PCD and the Blue Ridge Parkway

I have a 7/31 PCD and will be making my way back to Michigan. Has anyone done the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC and would like to give their opinion? Is it too slow? I plan on driving until 10:00 ish the night of delivery and taking much of the following day to get my 228i home.

Long wait is almost over. Ordered last day of April.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

There was a thread about this recently...

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149524

I'm planning a drive through there in September, too. I think the Blue Ridge Parkway has pretty low speed limits, but should still be fun and amazingly beautiful. I lived for a year up in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and it's one of the prettiest places I've ever been. Tail of the dragon into Tennessee highly recommended too
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinghacker View Post
I have a 7/31 PCD and will be making my way back to Michigan. Has anyone done the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC and would like to give their opinion? Is it too slow? I plan on driving until 10:00 ish the night of delivery and taking much of the following day to get my 228i home.

Long wait is almost over. Ordered last day of April.
Its slower, but faster than some of the tighter more technical roads. For the distance I was on it about 2 weeks ago I didnt see a single LEO and there wasnt much traffic so you could probably do 50-60 if you wanted. Beautiful views and scenic overlooks, just don't get too distracted by them because the road requires a good bit of attention itself. PCD was awesome, wish I could do it again already.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
Pinghacker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
Its slower, but faster than some of the tighter more technical roads. For the distance I was on it about 2 weeks ago I didnt see a single LEO and there wasnt much traffic so you could probably do 50-60 if you wanted. Beautiful views and scenic overlooks, just don't get too distracted by them because the road requires a good bit of attention itself. PCD was awesome, wish I could do it again already.
Thanks. Took Google for me to get LEO.

Did you ever drive US 276 up through that area? It looks nice too and a bit better for actually getting somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinghacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
Thanks. Took Google for me to get LEO.

Did you ever drive US 276 up through that area? It looks nice too and a bit better for actually getting somewhere.
Yeah that's exactly how I got there. 276 has some great roads for sure, comparable to the dragon on some stretches. Highly recommended.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #6
Pinghacker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

This is what I am thinking now:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...eE&usp=sharing
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 07:09 AM   #7
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I drove 18 and 22 up to Sparta, NC. That was a great drive too.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #8
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Those scenic drives are relatively slow, but you have do some before you head back home. We drove up 276 to Asheville for the night, then up the Blue Ridge to Boone, NC before hitting bigger roads. Asheville to Boone took half a day with scenic stops, including Mt Mitchell.

If you head the other way from 276, you'll drive through Cherokee and then the Dragon. there are a couple other great roads in Hwy 28 and the Cherohala Skyway that connect to the Dragon. You could then run up through Knoxville to get home.

I'd say the Blue Ridge has more scenic value but the Dragon area has more curves. The only way you could screw up is if you took the Interstate all the way home.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #9
Pinghacker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well I went up US 276 and never made it to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Decided to cut off some of the driving because dinner was sounding too good. We headed more directly to Asheville in Brevard. I did love the drive on 276 though the Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area though.
Appreciate 0