THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Super Loud Metal on Metal Screeching Sound Front Driver Tire

07-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Super Loud Metal on Metal Screeching Sound Front Driver Tire

Sound just popped up this evening and I only drove it half a block further as I spoke with BMW Assist. They're coming to pick it up in the morning and take it to a shop to see what it is. I'm out of town on vacation, so we'll see how good that vacation policy to reimburse for food, rental, and lodging goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
Ohio Army Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Yea, def let us know. I'm one that travels a lot.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Maybe a wheel-weight came unglued and lodged in between caliper and wheel?

Hope whatever is an easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

When they came to pick it up, I was reversing the car to get it on the platform and I heard a click, then the screeching sound went away. Been driving all day and haven't heard it again. No idea.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
When they came to pick it up, I was reversing the car to get it on the platform and I heard a click, then the screeching sound went away. Been driving all day and haven't heard it again. No idea.
Perhaps some road debris got wedged between a brake disc and caliper. Backing up would dislodge it. Maybe a stone or something. Did you check your brake disc on both sides for scratches or gouges?

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
This happened to me with my Mk5 GTI a few months ago.

The cause was ALMOST CERTAINLY a rock between the pad and rotor in one of my brakes. horrible sound, none of the electronic picked up anything. no spilt oil. Was 5 minutes from flat bedding until the sound went completely away.

there was no mark on my rotor ( could have easily been the back of the rotor btw).

The chances of metal-metal wear without an oil slick or the car sitting funny is odd. For me i could rev the engine as much as i wanted, only screeched on car movement. I just walked around kicking the tires to dislodge.

Scared the shit out of me and was a major reason for selling the car ( realization that i didn't want to eat into my new car fund fixing a car with expensive VW parts...)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:55 AM   #7
Roshi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 - MW, 6MT.

Well that was bust of a post - no closure.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 04:51 AM   #8
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
Above is the end. No change.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Definitely a rock in the caliper. If it happens, usually you can dislodge by reversing like you did.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
The cause was ALMOST CERTAINLY a rock between the pad and rotor in one of my brakes. horrible sound, none of the electronic picked up anything. no spilt oil. Was 5 minutes from flat bedding until the sound went completely away.
Had this happen to me twice - once with my Honda Accord in the late 90s and again just a few years ago with my girlfriend's Sonata. Really awful sound both times, plus the Sonata had it happen late at night in the middle of a rainstorm. I thought it was rock vs. rotor, so I had her pull over under an overpass so I could diagnose it.

I was bending down near the front left tire where the noise was, asked her to back up slowly and then pull forward again so I could listen for the sound to confirm it and see if the direction change would fix it. She has a lead foot and ignored the "slowly" part. Would up backing up 25 feet so quickly that she nearly ran me over. Great night all around!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #11
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
Definitely a rock in the caliper. If it happens, usually you can dislodge by reversing like you did.
Thing is, I reversed and drove forward a good bit before letting the car sit overnight. First reverse in the morning when it cooled down did it, though.
Appreciate 0