THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Trouble Falling in Love with the M235i

08-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #133
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

Finally, the point of this thread was to empathize with the poster because I have been where he is. I used to love Papa Johns pizza then I went to study in Paris where I had pizza in this little joint for six months. I still get Papa Johns and it's good pizza especially for the price and my kids love it but for me, after having that thin pizza in Paris it has never been as enjoyable. Nothing wrong with it, but hard to enjoy it after you've had amazing pizza.
Look no further than DelMar, Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.

Alright, seriously!!! I will go check it out!

: )
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #134
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Alright, seriously!!! I will go check it out!

: )
Make sure to order "well done" for the crust to be so crisp it easily cantilevers...the true test!

What a

Sorry.....you said pizza and I was just there and I couldn't stop myself.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #135
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Almost all -- emphasis on 'almost' -- of this discussion is not constructive at all for anyone
I disagree entirely. Opening up a discussion about what people do not like about their 2 series is just as valuable as talking about what people DO like about their 2 series. For those of us who have not bought our car yet, we get an idea about what others see as the shortcomings of the car, so we can decide if we would see these as shortcomings as well. And for those who have bought their car, they get an idea as to whether or not the things they perceive as shortcomings, are seen as shortcomings by other people. You can say all you want that everyone has individual tastes, and that is true, but it is still certainly valuable data to see what people do and do not like about their cars. It's certainly valuable to get a viewpoint that isn't simply a car journalist who's owned and driven 100s of cars over the last 40 years.

Quote:
There's the weight but similar to the MB the AWD itself is rear biased, unlike an S3 or that CLA nonsense. Look at it this way - you're not Lewis Hamilton. And even if you were, 240 xDrive will have better driving dynamics than a 240 RWD when both are starting to slide down your hill in February. I've got a 235 RWD now and will be getting an xDrive next time. And going down to 17" rims w 40 rubber year round. There's track day ideal then real world ideal, based on where you are and what the roads are like.
Quote:
Whether you get AWD or RWD you should have summer tires for 9 months of year and winter tires for 3 months if you are in the upper midwest. I've had the RWD 135i and now AWD m235i; I greatly prefer the AWD car and don't find that I'm missing anything in the fun department from the RWD and that car I added an LSD and tune. What I do like is regardless or dry, rain, or snow I've got a car that does excellent in all those conditions. Also, if you plan to tune your car, you will get much better acceleration from a stop vs. spinning tires in the AWD version, this is amplified even more so in just light drizzle conditions and around corners.

The M235i is the only car/non-SUV in BMW's lineup that has the same suspension as the RWD counterpart when choosing AWD. The 335 and 535 are both mushy and raised suspensions vs. the RWD versions. So, if you preferred AWD in the 340 it will be that much better in the 240.

RWD with snows vs AWD with snows on a steep his is no comparison during a snow storm. Also, where I live in Chicago they don't plow the alley's and you have to go back and forth over ruts to get out of parking spots, this is a non issue with AWD and snows, but was an adventure in the 135i w/snows.
Thanks, this has made me feel a lot better about wanting the xDrive. Still think I should drive the RWD, though.

Quote:
Sure the M2 gets you more HP, larger brakes, wider track, swole body work, but to me that's about all I can think that's really setting the car apart. The hp, brakes, and body work, blue stitching on the seats aren't convincing enough for me to feel like the M2 is that "far superior" so the M235/240. An M2 owner may feel this way though, obviously..
I'm pretty sure most M2 owners feel this way. It's natural to emotionally defend what you own. I think it's fair to say that most M2 owners wouldn't want to "downgrade" to an M240i. I think we also have to admit that a good number of M235i/M240i owners wouldn't mind taking an M2 in the place of their car. The supply is just so short right now. But the M240/M235 certainly excels in some places where the M2 doesn't - such as having AWD as an option, having a brand new and more powerful/tunable motor, and in general being built as less of a race car. I think an M240i will blend in moreso than an M2, and I'm not really looking to stand out.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #136
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
Yeah...

I've heard as much. Only thing is, I've only driven the xDrive M235i. Here in Cinci it's difficult to find a RWD one. If a forum member was willing to let me drive one, that would be cool - but that's probably a long shot.

So the only thing I've been able to do is test drive a 340i and 340i xDrive, and I honestly liked the feel of the 340i xDrive more.

I feel like I'll be doing a lot of driving under 70 mph and the absolute grip of the 4wd getting power to the ground helps under those circumstances as I understand it. I know the RWD is better for "fun", for getting the rear end out and for higher speeds, but I haven't had that experience yet, so I'm reluctant to spend 50k on a car I haven't driven yet when I know I like the xDrive version.
Depends what your looking for, there is no debating awd w snow tires will have more grip. If you live somewhere that is not plowed and or de iced than yeah awd makes sense. If you live somewhere where 95 percent of the roads are plowed and dry than maybe not worth the weight penalty. Some people prefer awd even when dry. Get what works for you, and feels right to you.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #137
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I always get RWD in Boston, preferably with LSD.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 01:22 AM   #138
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I am totally with you. .....
Lately, I find myself on the Camaro 6th gen forums, reading about guys taking the 2SS to the track, and their overall satisfaction with the cars in daily use. The 2SS comes stock from the factory with a bolt-on brake ducting kit (in the trunk) that can be quickly installed for track use - and corporate GM has even said publically they will stand behind the warranty on cars that have seen track day use. That's the car I'm lusting after now. .

I'm totally with both of you! I literally just joined Camaro6 forums and I saw you on there, but since I just joined I can't even post yet. I was trying to reply to your take on the 2SS, which BTW sounds like you're reading my mind.

I hate to say it, but as much as I like my 2, the honeymoon is over. It's funny because I have an LS2 in my old Subaru wagon. Compared to my BMW my Subaru is a total piece of shit EXCEPT the motor and trans. Every time I drive it I can't deny that I like it better than my M235i.

That's when I started looking at the Camaro, specifically the 2SS. When I watched the Head 2 Head where the Chevy matched up exactly with the M4 I was super intrigued. The N/A LT1 in the Camaro gives me an ear-gasm. No fake sounds, no turbo, just raw power and a very mechanical feeling 6MT (just like in my Subaru!) only it won't be a piece of shit like my Subaru.

Now, how do I get out of this lease????
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 05:19 AM   #139
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
Almost every wealthy car enthiusiast has more than one car in their garage. This is probably because no one car will do it all.

I've had a Lotus Elise 111S, Porche Carrera 4S, e46 325i touring, F30 330d xDrive, and have driven Caterhams, M3, Ford Formula 2000 etc. My current cars are M235i Convertible and a little Peugeot 206 1.4 None of them has been ideal in every condition and frame of mind. I suspect that even if I could afford my ideal Rolls-Royce Wraith, I'd still have other cars in the garage (actually, I'm certain I'd have other stuff in there).

Perhaps the OP should invest in a second-hand 'something else' or even a motorbike?

I'd say when the time comes, trade-in your M235i for something more practical and then buy something you only take out when you feel like it, and conditions are perfect. This might even be a motorbike. Or a track car. Each different car I've had has had a forum with someone saying "I like the {X} but .... " I don't think you'll find one car that will satisfy every requirement, even if money was no object.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 07:21 AM   #140
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449
Almost every wealthy car enthiusiast has more than one car in their garage. This is probably because no one car will do it all.

I've had a Lotus Elise 111S, Porche Carrera 4S, e46 325i touring, F30 330d xDrive, and have driven Caterhams, M3, Ford Formula 2000 etc. My current cars are M235i Convertible and a little Peugeot 206 1.4 None of them has been ideal in every condition and frame of mind. I suspect that even if I could afford my ideal Rolls-Royce Wraith, I'd still have other cars in the garage (actually, I'm certain I'd have other stuff in there).

Perhaps the OP should invest in a second-hand 'something else' or even a motorbike?

I'd say when the time comes, trade-in your M235i for something more practical and then buy something you only take out when you feel like it, and conditions are perfect. This might even be a motorbike. Or a track car. Each different car I've had has had a forum with someone saying "I like the {X} but .... " I don't think you'll find one car that will satisfy every requirement, even if money was no object.
I will echo that sentiment. I have a 3 diesel in my garage and can borrow the Dinan sport wagon I got dad whenever I want. The times my 235 would annoy me, tough for 4 adults, bad in snow, need to haul some stuff, it just stays in the garage. Easier to be happy with the car when you don't have to use it for stuff it's ill suited for.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #141
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

In my 20 years or so on car forums I think this is the first time i've been on a forum dedicated to a specific model with a thread this long dedicated to how much the owners regret getting the car :-) even n54 owners don't have this much regret
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      08-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #142
bozman9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi CV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I get what you're saying, but I don't think many here would agree. HUD's are practical in luxury "do-it-for-me" cars. The 235/240 has much more of a "do it myself" orientation with the exception of of an auto gearbox option and some nannies that assist while you drive.

D
This was one of the many deciding factors on this car for. It felt like a return to a "driver's car" where I at least have the option to "do it myself". If I don't feel like driving at the edge, I can put it in comfort mode and be just fine.

I came from a very nice Audi A6 Prestige. The car was incredible and beautiful inside and out (my opinion). But after 2 years of owning, I felt like it was driving itself half the time. The only way to feel remotely connected was to put it in "sport" mode but it was such a boat it felt dangerous to drive at the edge and required pushing for it to come alive. Cruising around at 40mph, it was so detached and quiet with only a "false" sportiness, I felt I might as well be driving an Accord (which is a complement to Accords, actually). It was absolutely a "do it for me" car.
My argument with myself became "why am I spending so much money on this car if it doesn't put a smile on my face every time I get in?". Instead it was "meh, I don't care if we take my car or not".

Now, with the M235, I *want* to drive. I think about driving my car just sitting at my desk. I look for excuses to run to the store or pick someone up. And I don't have to drive it at the edge to enjoy it. That was also a key for me. I did a 30 minute test drive (one of many) and specifically went into town to drive it around at sub-45mph; just cruising. Because that reflects 95% of real world daily driving, and I still loved it. Of note - it's a convertible and this aspect is a key part of enjoyable top-down driving.

In short, I *LOVE* this car. :

Bozman
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #143
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
In my 20 years or so on car forums I think this is the first time i've been on a forum dedicated to a specific model with a thread this long dedicated to how much the owners regret getting the car :-) even n54 owners don't have this much regret
Some of us with diametrical feelings have been observing with interest, but not seeing the point of debating someone else's emotion.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      08-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #144
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think in all honesty my dream car is a Carrera or Cayman. I've always wanted a Porsche.

Unfortunately I'm just out of college and while I could afford a 2011 CPO Carrera for the same price as the M240i, I'm sure it'd look like a major douche move. And I can't pretend that I don't give a shit what people think about me, especially early in my career, where my impression matters quite a bit.

Kind of sad that you are judged for your car but for some reason 22 year old kid in Carrera, just never looks NOT douchey.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #145
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
I think in all honesty my dream car is a Carrera or Cayman. I've always wanted a Porsche.

Unfortunately I'm just out of college and while I could afford a 2011 CPO Carrera for the same price as the M240i, I'm sure it'd look like a major douche move. And I can't pretend that I don't give a shit what people think about me, especially early in my career, where my impression matters quite a bit.

Kind of sad that you are judged for your car but for some reason 22 year old kid in Carrera, just never looks NOT douchey.
Honestly you wouldn't look like much less of a tool in a m240. It sends one of two messages. 1 my parents have paid and continue to pay for almost everything other then this lease or 2 I am incredibly bad with money
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      08-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #146
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:

If you have a significant source of income, I see no problems with driving a 911 at age 22. Look at all the successful musicians/self-made millionaires.
It's only douchey if you blew all your savings on it and lives in a dump.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #147
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Not sure how you're going to take this, and perhaps I'm setting myself up to be flamed...but, as you said you do care, from the many posts you've shared, you seem on the matter of substance to be a well-educated and knowledgeable person with a good "processor" (to the degree one can tell anything from forum posts). Based on your concern about impressions, I would focus first and more on the level/content of your language than the brand of your car. One would certainly impact (negate) my hiring/career potential decision whether at the interview, job, or promotion decision or from checking your online behavior, while the other would not be on my radar at all.

If this doesn't go in the constructive spirit it is offered, I won't prolong it with a reply, so either way, best wishes and good luck with the new career. Yes, I'm old.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #148
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah

Keep in mind if you go that route shit gets expensive very quickly. Even if the M240 and preowned P-car cost the same up front, it doesn't stay that way. Simple example - replace a tire on the BMW $300 installed. Porsche they're like $800 each, and you have to do them in pairs, so it adds up VERY quickly. Not that it's a bad thing to own a 911, just something to be mindful of as you make decisions.
Appreciate 1
bozman915.00
      08-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #149
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
If you have a significant source of income, I see no problems with driving a 911 at age 22. Look at all the successful musicians/self-made millionaires.
It's only douchey if you blew all your savings on it and lives in a dump.
Ha, that I agree with - but that doesn't mean that's how others perceive it.

I am making enough to afford even a fully loaded M3, although at that point I would be stretching my budget. BUT - considering that people don't know what I make, that isn't relevant information.

And those who DO know what I make - coworkers, etc - might still think it's a stupid decision. Because when I say "afford", I don't mean in the traditional r/personalfinance "only 10% of your salary" "afford". I mean that I can afford the car - but I certainly wouldn't also have the money for extravagant vacations, eating out all the time, buying a nice home, etc.

I may have said this elsewhere but cars are definitely looked at differently than most other expensive things people buy. Jewelry? A 15k necklace for some reason doesn't make people think you're spending beyond your means. A nice home? Congratulations! But a nice car - even if bought slightly used to avoid a large chunk of depreciation - is looked at as a stupid decision.

Quote:
Not sure how you're going to take this, and perhaps I'm setting myself up to be flamed...but, as you said you do care, from the many posts you've shared, you seem on the matter of substance to be a well-educated and knowledgeable person with a good "processor" (to the degree one can tell anything from forum posts). Based on your concern about impressions, I would focus first and more on the level/content of your language than the brand of your car. One would certainly impact (negate) my hiring/career potential decision whether at the interview, job, or promotion decision or from checking your online behavior, while the other would not be on my radar at all.

If this doesn't go in the constructive spirit it is offered, I won't prolong it with a reply, so either way, best wishes and good luck with the new career. Yes, I'm old.
Lol I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. I wouldn't say that the style of communication I use to post on a forum about BMWs is the same as what I would use in daily conversation... But thanks for the advice nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #150
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Some of us with diametrical feelings have been observing with interest, but not seeing the point of debating someone else's emotion.
Precisely. wtfbrah : This is my sentiment as well -- and I'm just marveling at all the useless hot air in this thread. We can't tell the OP what he wants to hear because he's looking for validation for his feelings regarding this car. None of us can really provide that for him ...

... so instead many here are sharing their own feelings regarding this car with little or no regard to what the OP actually asked. Why? Because none of us can really help him with his quandaries. And so the circle continues ...

This is like the emo car thread from hell.

Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      08-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #151
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Precisely. wtfbrah : This is my sentiment as well -- and I'm just marveling at all the useless hot air in this thread. We can't tell the OP what he wants to hear because he's looking for validation for his feelings regarding this car. None of us can really provide that for him ...

... so instead many here are sharing their own feelings regarding this car with little or no regard to what the OP actually asked. Why? Because none of us can really help him with his quandaries. And so the circle continues ...

This is like the emo car thread from hell.

Yeah, it did get pretty depressing pretty fast. People talking about regretting their decision to buy a 50k car. Not something I particularly like to see as I gear up to order mine.

Someone should start a new thread... "No trouble falling in love with my M235i" and just talk about how much they love their car....

Yeah, that'll do it

P.S. Barca > Bayern
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      08-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #152
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1HAMMY View Post
1 word, Porsche
Two words; Fiesta ST.
Appreciate 1
Xiaoxi269.00
      08-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #153
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
P.S. Barca > Bayern
If that were the case, Pep would never have left ...

But point taken re: Champions League. We'll see how this year goes with Carletto at the helm. I have a funny feeling Barca will underperform this season.

#fourinarow
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #154
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Ha, that I agree with - but that doesn't mean that's how others perceive it.

I am making enough to afford even a fully loaded M3, although at that point I would be stretching my budget. BUT - considering that people don't know what I make, that isn't relevant information.

And those who DO know what I make - coworkers, etc - might still think it's a stupid decision. Because when I say "afford", I don't mean in the traditional r/personalfinance "only 10% of your salary" "afford". I mean that I can afford the car - but I certainly wouldn't also have the money for extravagant vacations, eating out all the time, buying a nice home, etc.

I may have said this elsewhere but cars are definitely looked at differently than most other expensive things people buy. Jewelry? A 15k necklace for some reason doesn't make people think you're spending beyond your means. A nice home? Congratulations! But a nice car - even if bought slightly used to avoid a large chunk of depreciation - is looked at as a stupid decision.

Lol I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. I wouldn't say that the style of communication I use to post on a forum about BMWs is the same as what I would use in daily conversation... But thanks for the advice nonetheless.
Guy your age should focus more on what the girls think of you than coworkers. If you can afford a Cayman, get it. It will help you get laid more that's for sure.
Use your car to your advantage
Appreciate 0