THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Comming from a 330i ZHP to a M235i review.

01-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #23
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Refreshing to see a person with perspective instead of the tired "the old way/one was waaay better!" that permeates most chatter. Congrats and enjoy the ride, hope this one serves you as well as your beloved ZHP!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #24
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBII View Post
You are obviously a person of impecable taste in cars. I'm also going from a ZHP 6 speed to an M235i AT. (just started the order today for Welt delivery). I agree on almost every point except the manual in the f22 is really fantastic, I found it equal to my ZHPs if not better; albeit the car is 130,000 miles old.
130k miles? That might as well be new! Apart from the whole subframe issue (my 328i sedan had a 5" tear), they are super great cars. The car never really gave me issues, but I traded it for my E92.

I definitely wouldn't mind an E46 again, but probably a Touring next time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Great review and comparison between the two cars. As a former owner of an early e46 323i and also an e36M3, I can agree with you on all points. In regards to the steering, you said it well. They are different, and the hydraulic steering of the early BMWs isn't necessarily "better". The F22 steering is actually more precise, albeit a little lighter. After getting used to it, I prefer it more than the hydraulic ones on the early e46 and e36. The hydraulic steering of the e46/e36 has a heavier feeling, but IMO, it is slower, and had on-center play. That is, at speed, you could move the steering wheel 5-10 degrees left or right, with no effect on the steering. In the F22 (in sport+ mode), this is not the case. The steering is quicker, and it reacts to the slightest movement of the steering wheel. I'm not sure if the e46 ZHP steering had on-center play or not, but I do know that they increased the steering ratio on it vs. the earlier e46s to make it feel sportier.
My E36 M3 coupe has absolutely no play. Granted, the previous owner did retrofit a ZHP steering rack. That thing handles like a freaken monster (I can't take the credit for all the work that was done though), but it needs better tires this summer. Also wider wheels up front too.

In terms of this whole steering feel, I don't hate EPS by any means. I'd much rather have every new car feel like the E36 or E46, but the EPS is not a deal breaker for me. It is accurate, I just wish it was just a tad heavier.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #25
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Very nice review and congrats on your new car. It is truly a joy to drive every single time you start the engine and press the gas pedal. One extra note on the automatic transmission. This is the best Automatic transmission by any auto manufacturer that I have ever driven period. I haven't driven the M dual clutch one from BMW as yet so that might top this one.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #26
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
The ZHP had NO play on center. Just like the M235i. The big thing people say in reviews on the M235i steering is that they get no feedback from the steering. That is completely untrue, it is just lighter in direct proportion to the lighter steering. For those of us who have been driving BWM's for years it takes some getting used to. But now that I have re-calibrated I like it. It is not better or worse, just different.
Absolutely agree. I've had BMWs for the past 30 years including e36 M3 and the steering is still great. Although I still think my previous e82 125i was my favourite steering for feel and feedback.
      01-09-2015, 04:24 AM   #27
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

My E36 M3 coupe has absolutely no play. Granted, the previous owner did retrofit a ZHP steering rack. That thing handles like a freaken monster (I can't take the credit for all the work that was done though), but it needs better tires this summer. Also wider wheels up front too.
Lucky you the previous owner upgraded it to the ZHP rack. On the e36 M3, steering rack upgrades to the e46ZHP or Z3 are very popular to get the quicker steering and slight on-center play fix. Another popular ZHP item retrofitted to e36M3s are their shift knobs.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-buy-a-Z3-rack
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...rack-installed

BTW, did your car come with the 5th gear detent fixed, or does it still have it? In any case, it seems like you got a well-maintained e36M3 in a great color combo too. She's a keeper!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #28
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Lucky you the previous owner upgraded it to the ZHP rack. On the e36 M3, steering rack upgrades to the e46ZHP or Z3 are very popular to get the quicker steering and slight on-center play fix. Another popular ZHP item retrofitted to e36M3s are their shift knobs.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-buy-a-Z3-rack
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...rack-installed

BTW, did your car come with the 5th gear detent fixed, or does it still have it? In any case, it seems like you got a well-maintained e36M3 in a great color combo too. She's a keeper!
Thanks! The previous owner did a ton of work, such as replacing every single bushing and upgrading to poly if possible, the steering rack, PSS9 coilovers ect ect... it was his part time track car.

When I got the car, he said part of the cooling system was done, but the expansion tank looked old to me. Knowing it's the E36's weak point, I went ahead and redid everything, including Stewart water pump and Z3M S54 radiator. Doing the ZHP knob is a standard mod for all my BMW's I've ever had. It's such a nice upgrade for not much money!

Unfortunately, 3 weeks after that, I was pulling out of work and the clutch pedal went to the floor. Had the car towed to my place thinking it was just a slave cylinder. Long story short, it was a bent clutch fork and I ended up replacing every thing (bushings, flywheel, clutch, master, slave ect....). The car did originally have the 5th gear lean, so while the transmission is out, I got that fixed too. So much nicer now.

Needless to say, the E36 is mechanically superb now, although it did cost me a bit. The car was very well maintained, but now it should be bulletproof. I just need to fix a few small aesthetics things, as well as all the insane rattles in the interior
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #29
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcoff View Post
Absolutely agree. I've had BMWs for the past 30 years including e36 M3 and the steering is still great. Although I still think my previous e82 125i was my favourite steering for feel and feedback.
Agree, the e82 is tough to beat on steering, for sure. Was just so raw but smooth at the same time. It could be a little heavy at times. I am all for the development in EPS though, I think the 2er is spot on.
      01-10-2015, 04:31 AM   #30
mvallido
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue

Totally agree that:

"The 8 speed auto is a revelation. If auto's were always this good, there would be less of us screaming for sticks. (That said, I will miss it even if it is medically not an option anymore.)"

Did some spirited driving today on Sport+ Manual Mode and enjoyed it. I normally shift using the shift knob when turning and the paddle shift on straight line.
2004 C240
97 E39 VF5 Supercharged
Appreciate 0