THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos 550hp BMW M235i Convertible

10-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #67
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjpgolf1 View Post
However I will say that bmw kind of screwed up with the M240/235 making the car waaay too close in performance to the M2 in their stock form.
First off, the price difference between an M240i with similar options to the M2 is too close to make this an issue. In some cases the M240i was a little more, in some cases a little less depending on market. People contending "too close in performance" tend to ignore this. That said, for me not only does the M2 inspire more confidence with its handling characteristics, it wins on looks and sound. For me, a big improvement over my '16 M235i - much more fun to drive.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      10-08-2017, 06:57 AM   #68
Mjpgolf1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
First off, the price difference between an M240i with similar options to the M2 is too close to make this an issue. In some cases the M240i was a little more, in some cases a little less depending on market. People contending "too close in performance" tend to ignore this. That said, for me not only does the M2 inspire more confidence with its handling characteristics, it wins on looks and sound. For me, a big improvement over my '16 M235i - much more fun to drive.
I would use comparabley equipped cars for this debate. Of course if you click every box on the build sheet you can get an M240i to price out for more than an M2. At that point you can argue even further about how great the M240i is that it can be had with all the drivers assistance, technology, and creature comforts while it sits next to the M2 going around a race track.

Also The issue isn’t so much with the Msrp but with the discounts available. I’m a sales consultant for Bmw and there are discounts to be had on M240i models but absolutely nothing given from Bmw in the way of incentives or by the dealer in the way of discounting from asking price on the M2. In a lot of cases people were, and still are paying sticker + for these cars, dependent on color and availability of course. We can sell a new M240i nicely equipped for much less than a new M2.

The M2 is a wonderful car there is no denying that. I would think that the next step for them would be the B58 on steroids under the bonnet of a new M2. That motor is simply amazing and is going to be a wonderful base for BMW to build on for years to come in lots of their models.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #69
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

This is not a M235i, please change the title.
I know, 'cause I have a M235xi ragtop and this looks nothing like it.