THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Delivery estimates (USA)

03-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #485
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
Did the 3M coat start to come off or yellow or start to tear from the edges ??.
I saw that the XPEL Ultimate is quite expensive and was wondering if it was necesary.
I didn't have any yellowing on the 3M, nor any adhesion issues. I will confess it was starting to get slightly cloudy after 5.5 years, but on the other side, I could have removed it and had the paint look good as new.

Big thing for me is preventing rust starting up in the chips. My old Passat (now 11 years and 185k miles) has some dime to quarter sized rust spots on the leading edges from stone chips. Granted, once I had the 335, I gave the Passat to my daughter, and if she even washed it once, I didn't hear about it.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #486
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
It could be TYSLA. BMW NA will only know after the car is on the boat. I had to go to BMW ED sales to get to know my boat beforehand.

You feeling lucky ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline_Six View Post
+1 I agree with Gatte, that was my experience too.

They told me it was on the Metis Leader only after she had already taken off, so it is totally possible that your car is on the TYSLA (sound a bit like Tesla ?) and their info is just outdated.

YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT! I'm on the TYSLA! Departed March 20th and will arrive to Baltimore March 31st. Couldn't be more excited
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #487
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24 View Post
YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT! I'm on the TYSLA! Departed March 20th and will arrive to Baltimore March 31st. Couldn't be more excited
That is great news.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #488
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Gatte: yes, XPEL Ultimate will cost to install. However, I have seen how good the product is and plan to have it installed in my wife's soon-to-be-delivered M235i.

A good friend recently had taken delivery of his 2016 M3. He had the XPEL Ultimate installed. On a recent trip to the Panhandle, he took a pretty heavy hit on the bumper from a road debris. He heard it hit and can only cringed. At the next opportunity to stop, he discovered the offending rash on the bumper. Fast forward a couple of weeks later and as advertised, the XPEL "healed" itself. The gash from the road rash incident is non-existent.

I had an experiences from earlier version of "clear bra" and also can add that the new generation XPEL is superior.

You still wash and wax your XPEL treated car as normal. It's an initial investment to protect your investment.
      03-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #489
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
Gatte: yes, XPEL Ultimate will cost to install. However, I have seen how good the product is and plan to have it installed in my wife's soon-to-be-delivered M235i.

A good friend recently had taken delivery of his 2016 M3. He had the XPEL Ultimate installed. On a recent trip to the Panhandle, he took a pretty heavy hit on the bumper from a road debris. He heard it hit and can only cringed. At the next opportunity to stop, he discovered the offending rash on the bumper. Fast forward a couple of weeks later and as advertised, the XPEL "healed" itself. The gash from the road rash incident is non-existent.

I had an experiences from earlier version of "clear bra" and also can add that the new generation XPEL is superior.

You still wash and wax your XPEL treated car as normal. It's an initial investment to protect your investment.
Thanks gaijin I guess I'll do the XPEL unlimited too when I get my car. It'll also help with people sitting on the hood or leaning on the car with work boots on and all that. Wondering if I need to do this for the whole car (Inculding the hood) or what most of the other people are doing.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #490
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep

Gatte, suggest you consider the most susceptible areas. I'm having the entire front area: half of the hood and fenders, and side mirrors XPEL Ultimate protected.

You can also have the headlight plastic housing protected. Not necessarily road rash protection but if you are concerned with how the clear plastic covers fog with age.

And by the way, I was also informed that most car insurance companies cover the replacement cost of XPEL Ultimate in the event that an unforeseen incident necessitate body work in protected pieces.
      03-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #491
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Gatte, suggest you consider the most susceptible areas. I'm having the entire front area: half of the hood and fenders, and side mirrors XPEL Ultimate protected.

You can also have the headlight plastic housing protected. Not necessarily road rash protection but if you are concerned with how the clear plastic covers fog with age.

And by the way, I was also informed that most car insurance companies cover the replacement cost of XPEL Ultimate in the event that an unforeseen incident necessitate body work in protected pieces.
Yes, I would probably do what you're doing as well. However, I read that if you did just half the hood, the line would be clearly visible and applying wax over it will only make the line more and more visible.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #492
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Can't speak to "most", but Commerce in MA covered replacing the hood section of mine when it was damaged in an accident. Granted, the accident wasn't my fault, and they did seem to be taking a perverse pleasure in flaming the other driver.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #493
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep

Yes, that's possible but I was also told that in time (sun/natural heating), that the line disappear. I don't see it on my friend's Sakhir Orange Metallic M3 which was XPEL treated last November.
      03-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #494
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that's possible but I was also told that in time (sun/natural heating), that the line disappear. I don't see it on my friend's Sakhir Orange Metallic M3 which was XPEL treated last November.
I meant the line which separates the XPEL coat from the paint on the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #495
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep

Yes. That's the line I was speaking of. But if you're really concerned about it, then go with the full hood protection. The kit comes pre-cut for the automobile. Find a good installer. The installer I'm going to contract with has been installing clear bras for 15 years and now exclusively using XPEL.
      03-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #496
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes. That's the line I was speaking of. But if you're really concerned about it, then go with the full hood protection. The kit comes pre-cut for the automobile. Find a good installer. The installer I'm going to contract with has been installing clear bras for 15 years and now exclusively using XPEL.
Do you know how much it would cost at your dealer ?? I am assuming the price would be the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #497
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep

I didn't check with any of the BMW dealerships for pricing. I plan on having it done at home, in my garage. The XPEL installer will come to my place. I figured it would be for the best since I can leave the M235i secure and not driven while the treatment cures. I believe best way to cure it too is to keep it outdoors (driveway) in direct sunlight for at least eight hours. The sun's natural heating helps in removing whatever moisture is left beneath the XPEL. I was told that it also allows for the XPEL material to "dry" into the automobile naturally.

I just want the best and most efficient way to keep the product performing as designed on our car. I will pay a little more for the convenience of having the install done at the house.
      03-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #498
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Fellas, I'm officially in the CLUB!!!!

Pick it up yesterday. Haven't driven it much. I'll rectify that today!

Here's a couple of cell phone pics. I'll shoot good pictures today at some point.

Appreciate 5
      03-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #499
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
Pick it up yesterday. Haven't driven it much. I'll rectify that today!

Here's a couple of cell phone pics. I'll shoot good pictures today at some point.

Congratulations! Looks great, love the color combo
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #500
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ChrisRuck View Post
Congratulations! Looks great, love the color combo

Thanks! I was a little worried about the Oyster interior but it looks fantastic. I just keep staring at the car!

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #501
Nuwheels
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
Thanks! I was a little worried about the Oyster interior but it looks fantastic. I just keep staring at the car!

Thanks again.
Hey congrats! Looks great! Beautiful day to drive around socal....have fun!
      03-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #502
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep

Waayyy to go! It's about time.
      03-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #503
ABPReader
Deserter
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BM&W

Last edited by ABPReader; 10-14-2015 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #504
Damasko
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Hello all!!

I've been lurking this site for awhile and finally got myself to order 235

mineral grey, 6 speed, with tech package.

I have a question about the order.

got my production number but no production date yet.
does this mean my dealer does not have allocation for me or
its already over at the production site and just being ready for a date?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #505
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasko View Post
Hello all!!

Thanks in advance
Congratulations on the car.

The production number is what is important. It means that the dealer has an allocation for you. That is what the number guarantees and signifies.

The date would tell you when it would enter production. This cannot be exactly known/calculated based on the production number.

If you were doing European Delivery, the delivery date would also be given to you along with the production number so you would know for sure that your car would be completed by that date.

You can get on MY BMW or call the 800 number and track the progress made on your car using the production number.

I hope this helped.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #506
Nuwheels
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasko View Post
Hello all!!

Thanks in advance
Your production number is a big first step. When I got the number from my dealer he also told me when it was scheduled for production, so you might query your dealer. In theory, dealer has more detailed info than the 800 number but you have to pick your battles how much you want to bug your dealer during the process. I used 800 number for most of the tracking. Anyway, good luck and congrats! It's worth the wait. Good choice on the color and 6MT!