THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW X3 diesel also caught up European emissions scandal. BMW's official response.

09-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #67
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Funny one but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
But for some humour.
Let's hope there are no skeletons in our BMW closet!
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #68
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeene View Post
There's a VW diesel?

Funny how VW doesn't use urea injection(ad blue) and BMW and MB do...I thought this was their main method of meeting emission requirements with their diesel cars?

Based on what we've seen of BMW as a corporate citizen I can't believe the nonsense that went on at VW would be tolerated at BMW.
you'd be surprised. governments, companies, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #69
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Ha. Just wait until the other shoe drops when they start looking into gas/petrol engines.
Not going to happen. Gasoline engines are significantly cleaner than Diesel. Honda is a world innovator in engines and clean emissions, this is precisely why they never ventured into diesel.
You surely haven't stepped out of your house
Travel around the world my friend
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #70
thugmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Vert.

M3

Well I knew my m3 was not environmentally friendly when I saw a gas guzzler tax on it. At least the M's don't front.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #71
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Autobuild has backed off.
      09-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #72
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
In a statement , BMW said the carmaker did not "manipulate or rig any emissions tests. We observe the legal requirements in each country and adheres to all local testing requirements. When it comes to our vehicles, there is no difference in the treatment of exhaust emissions whether they are on rollers (eg. test bench situation) or on the road."

According to the article, the X3 was the only vehicle that was above limits where the X5 and 13 other BMW vehicles passed. Hopefully it was just that one vehicle, very strange....
maybe they forgot to fill the blue cap which is needed every long ass interval or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #73
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
"It's expected 11 million cars will be recalled, by order of the EPA, at an estimated cost of over $7 billion"

Did someone at Cleveland.com check how this would work? The EPA only has jurisdiction over the 500,000 or so cars sold in the U.S. Not the 10.5 million sold worldwide
would be funny to see happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #74
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
Why doesn't the EPA focus on Ethanol and its increase in CO2 emissions. It takes more energy to produce the damn crop than the energy it offers in return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Because lobbyists.

Those corn farmers have a lot of cash.
I suffered from the crap Ethanol in our fuels. My Ducati 848 had its fuel tank deform due to the Ethanol attacking the plastic material it was made of. It's also telling that Husqvarna will extend the warranty an additional year on their 2 cycle trimmers if you show you purchased their pre-mixed fuel without any Ethanol.

Also the crap about having oxygenated fuels helping the environment is just crap. I guess the idiots at the EPA don't understand closed loop operation of modern vehicles.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #75
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG
Quote:
Ha. Just wait until the other shoe drops when they start looking into gas/petrol engines.
Not going to happen. Gasoline engines are significantly cleaner than Diesel. Honda is a world innovator in engines and clean emissions, this is precisely why they never ventured into diesel.
You do realize that the large majority of the world is not in 'mericuh! right?

Maybe you should get out more often. Then you might see just how wrong your statement is.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #76
bmwr
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 x28i

I just put money down to order a new X3 xDrive28i should I be concerned about this emission scandal? I realize I didn’t order a diesel but worry this may carry over to the petrol motor car value.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #77
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I doubt this will be the death of diesel... Although VAG law suits and losses run into the billions. They will make up the costs in lay offs no doubt but will this make used diesel models cheaper in the short term? You would think that an immediate change would have been reflected in the pricing. Just thinking out loud about the implications...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #78
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
There's only one Diesel engine I trust and that's a cummins
Cummins is a very good engine BUT, my first choice would be Cat (I have some yellow blood in my system)
Both good diesel manufacturers and I'm really looking forward to the Titan XD!

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #79
CookMaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 TB

Business integrity matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
That article was BS to start with. BMW uses the same engines all across its line. Its hard to reason why in one platform the same engine would fail a test while in other platforms it would pass.

I think the VW scandal is sad. VW is gonna get burned at the stake over this. And the sad thing is they have no idea how bad it really is for them in the USA. People will look back at this time like they remember this GM V8 diesel engines from the 70's/80's that would blow up - bc GM did not design them to be true diesels - just converted gas engines.
Dackelone is spot on,

With car makers ability to modify modern software, it will be a challenge for all to program their cars correctly. Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, software drives our cars whether it's engine management or pleasure electronics. If the software isn't right, you as a customer won't enjoy the experience. Integrity in software will be a big part of this effort as fewer are able to tinker with their vehicles. To date, there isn't a standard, but the major players would be wise to establish their own before government in whatever form intervenes. We can't have bueacrats dictating how our cars run, but if we hesitate , they will.
      09-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #80
KSERGEI-BY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 tdi DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
BS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_N_engine

One more thing.
Fuel equipment is usually developed by BOSCH. German car makers just put it into their engines, as well as Japanese car makers use licensed equipment, build by local companies.

That's how things are
      09-27-2015, 02:30 PM   #81
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG
Quote:
Or maybe they find that they (VW) also rigged mpg tests..... Think outside the box people
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #82
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG
Quote:
You do realize that the large majority of the world is not in 'mericuh! right?

Maybe you should get out more often. Then you might see just how wrong your statement is.
You do realize that the majority of the reason your country buys diesel is because it is heavily subsidized by your government, and in this country it isnt, so we dont. People in general are much more motivated by cost than by environmental concerns.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #83
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
All I remember about Axel Springer was what I saw in the Bader-Meinhof Complex movie lol
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #84
deadlyrhythm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium
That's why I never buy or drive diesel
NOX emissions aren't a big deal in petrol engines

The temperature is too low, unlike diesels
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #85
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlyrhythm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium
That's why I never buy or drive diesel
NOX emissions aren't a big deal in petrol engines

The temperature is too low, unlike diesels
He was not referring to NOx emissions, but other tricks to dupe epa or other regulating bodies. Mpg tricks for example
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #86
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Auto Bild is great at stirring up drama, when in reality, there's none.
      09-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #87
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

so Autobild either intentionally or was an unknowingly accomplice to publishing false information and caused the stock price to drop 10%....

Sounds like a classic "Short and Distort" situation to me. BaFin needs to investigate transaction history and throw some people in jail for this.
      09-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #88
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
so Autobild either intentionally or was an unknowingly accomplice to publishing false information and caused the stock price to drop 10%....

Sounds like a classic "Short and Distort" situation to me. BaFin needs to investigate transaction history and throw some people in jail for this.
Exactly!
Appreciate 0