THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Head Up Screen retrofit (new accessory) (BMW part # 62 30 2 361 627)

Closed Thread

07-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #155
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Hu View Post
I want to ask you some questions about HUD.
First of all, welcome to Bimmerpost.

Feel free to ask here by posting a comment, so that info can be shared with all other forum fellows too.

Actually, a lot of info about this device is already made available in this thread.

Please note that I am by no means affiliated with BMW, so can only answer on the basis of personal experiences.
      08-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #156
ajrulez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 328i

Just go for this HUD the world's best HUD...!!

http://www.navdy.com/Nb0EHmGj
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #157
jc_bmw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i E90

I have tried modifying the wiring harness to get it to work through the OBD port and doesn't seem to get it working. Anyone know which pins the CAN + CAN - should go to on the OBD? I have it as PIn 6 and 14. Or it might work through the OBD....

09 E90 328i 3IM, Eurocharged, K&N, 80W LED Angel
Coding: Digi Speed, Express Up Fob, Wipe Wash Count, Weather Station, Headlight Sensitivity
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 06:10 AM   #158
Summer Hu
Registered
China
Rep
Drives: BMWX3 silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
First of all, welcome to Bimmerpost.

Feel free to ask here by posting a comment, so that info can be shared with all other forum fellows too.

Actually, a lot of info about this device is already made available in this thread.

Please note that I am by no means affiliated with BMW, so can only answer on the basis of personal experiences.
Thanks then I will PM you for my question.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 05:45 AM   #159
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Hi bimmer_yu, I am an F10 owner and thinking of going ahead with this, can you still use the sat nav option if your phone is placed in the media cradle in the arm rest compartment, as I have this for my iphone it charges the phone and use the outside antenna for reception, I also wonder if the GPS uses the same as phone reception, i.e. if yes than the idea of having the phone in the media cradle should work.
Thanks for any feedback you have.

I agree with you on the cable side shame it cannot be hidden out of view that will being the perfect fit with the way the F10 dash is designed and the deep above the dials section.

Do you have photos of the system from driver seat too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_yu View Post
Hm, there are different oppinions if it's ugly but in my oppinion it fits great in F10.

[IMG]http://s16.postimg.org/i3su9muv9/2015_04_30_06_40_05.jpg[If there would be no cable visible it would be really perfect. Also, as device can operate with half screen closed it can project picture to the windshiled in same manner as real HUD does. But there is no need for that - device is very useful and supplied Garmin app works great for me. Instructions are being sent directly to the car audio through Bluetooth voice channel which means that music is interupted for the spoken instructions and then resumed.

Basically I like this system much more than factory navigation I have in my BMW Z4 35i. I prepare route at home, put iPhone into cradle on dashboard and I am ready to go. I don't need to search for the address in my garage and I have much more time to prepare route at home. It's more convenient. Of course - it's always feels better to have everything built-in from the factory but judgging by how prices of factory installed navgiation systems dropped last years - car producers have hard time to cope with competition of phone navi apps.

Last edited by martin mustang; 08-26-2015 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 02:32 AM   #160
bimmer_yu
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d + BMW E89 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Hi bimmer_yu, I am an F10 owner and thinking of going ahead with this, can you still use the sat nav option if your phone is placed in the media cradle in the arm rest compartment, as I have this for my iphone it charges the phone and use the outside antenna for reception, I also wonder if the GPS uses the same as phone reception, i.e. if yes than the idea of having the phone in the media cradle should work.
Thanks for any feedback you have.

I agree with you on the cable side shame it cannot be hidden out of view that will being the perfect fit with the way the F10 dash is designed and the deep above the dials section.

Do you have photos of the system from driver seat too?
Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, I dont have armrest media cradle in my F10. I am using iPhone 6 fixed with Fix2Car cradle on my dashboard and charged thorugh cable hidden through the dashboard. GPS reception is very good and GPS fix is immanent.

I can try to put my iPhone in the arm rest compartment and see what is happening with GPS signal... Phones use also 3G/LTE network to improve location accurancy so they are not that dependant on satelittes as traditional GPS systems.

Here is the photo from the driver's seat:

Last edited by bimmer_yu; 08-28-2015 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2015, 02:39 AM   #161
bimmer_yu
Rep

Technically cable could be hidden by drilling small hole trough the dash but I wouldn't drill anything on the brand new car...
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2015, 06:03 AM   #162
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Here is the photo from the driver's seat
bimmer_yu, a practical tip for you.

I infer from your picture that you did not program a speed correction in the head up screen settings.

On your smartphone, the Garmin software showing the map indicates the real speed (which is of course slightly lower than the speed indicated on your dashboard).

I noticed that I can show almost accurately that real speed on my head up screen display by setting the "Speed" correction to -4%. Of course, the speed correction differs from car to car.

Furthermore, speed correction does not interfere with cruise control. It does by no means alter BMW coding. If I set cruise control to, say 60 km/h, it will be 60 km/h BMW speed. 60 km/h will be indicated as cruise control speed on my dashboard and in small figures on the left hand side of the head up screen - thus ignoring the -4% speed correction setting. However, the big speed indication in the middle of the head up screen will show the real speed (± 56 km/u), due to the -4% speed correction setting.

08-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #163
bimmer_yu
Rep

I know about that but like to have everything the same on all the displays
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 07:30 AM   #164
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks Bimmer_yu for the response and the photo! I guess from the driver’s side all looking good!

For the Armrest test, without the media cradle it will be hard to judge as with it my I-phone 5s uses the outside shark antenna for reception, in other words a big improvement on phone reception, what I am wondering about is if I am using the Garmin sat nav will the GPS reception do the same use the outside antenna.
May be dealers have a way of find out this

[QUOTE=bimmer_yu;18490467]Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, I dont have armrest media cradle in my F10. I am using iPhone 6 fixed with Fix2Car cradle on my dashboard and charged thorugh cable hidden through the dashboard. GPS reception is very good and GPS fix is immanent.

I can try to put my iPhone in the arm rest compartment and see what is happening with GPS signal... Phones use also 3G/LTE network to improve location accurancy so they are not that dependant on satelittes as traditional GPS systems.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #165
softestplease
Germany
Rep
Drives: F34 GT

Hi Guys,

Just need a confirmation before I get one,
Do you need to use phone data services (3G/4G) for the map, or the map can be downloaded onto the phone to be used offline?
Is it possible to use other Map other than Garmin (like Sygic, Co-pilot, etc)

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #166
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

I am wondering if this is possible otherwise how do you get the GPS signal, I am interested to know what’s needed too as I use a media phone cradle so I get the phone signal via the outside aerial as well as charging the phone and media stuff, so trying to find out how does the SAT Nav option work is the GPS signal like the phone one or is it separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softestplease View Post
Hi Guys,

Do you need to use phone data services (3G/4G) for the map, or the map can be downloaded onto the phone to be used offline?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #167
softestplease
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Cheers
No one can advise/confirm?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #168
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
You got to preload the Garmin maps on your smartphone (most likely at home or in your office). Maps are free of charge. Just select the maps you really need, otherwise the download on your smartphone may take quite some time and deplete available memory. But once stored, you're good to go.

Inside your car, your mobile works as a GPS, using the combination of the maps on your phone + the GPS location function of your smartphone. You are also allowed to use the maps when not near/inside your car. Though you got to connect to the Head Up Screen inside the car at least once a month (if my memory serves me correctly). Failure to do so = you got to reinstall Garmin software on your smartphone.

The Head Up Screen connects via integrated WLAN (wifi network) automatically with your smartphone. Downside: no incoming e-mails, Whatsapp messages, BBM, etc. as long as you're connected to the Head Up Screen (but you still got the phone connection of course). If you just briefly switch off wifi, messages start to enter. If you need navigation again, reconnect to the Head Up Screen wifi network.

To avoid draining the smartphone battery, connect your mobile to the USB port or 12V socket under the centre armrest.

If for some unknown reason the system stalls or your smartphone fails to connect to the device, use a toothpick or staple to push the reset button on the device.

Quote:
The app that you need to install on your smartphone = BMW + Garmin.

Hence, I doubt that it would work with other map providers.
      09-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #169
softestplease
Germany
Rep

thank you Artemis... appreciated !
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #170
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrulez View Post

OK! Navdy looks AWESOME!!!! Thanks for sharing it.

Why can't BMW have this as a built in option?

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #171
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
OK! Navdy looks AWESOME!!!! Thanks for sharing it.

Why can't BMW have this as a built in option?

Looks great? Still Pre-ordering???

Wonder when this will be available for commercial manufacturing.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #172
bimmer_yu
Rep

BTW There is a new version of BMW HUS software released with support for "M Performance Drive Analyser" added.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #173
xplorn
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrulez View Post

How can this be the best when it doesn't even exist?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 01:01 AM   #174
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Hi Martin,

Dang, that thing is right in your line of sight. How does that not obscure the view?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #175
bimmer_yu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Dang, that thing is right in your line of sight. How does that not obscure the view?
No it's not, as my phone was not attached to my head while I was taking this photo So, phone was approx. at shoulder level (little bit bellow, actually) when I took the photo so I could keep an eye on the road...

It doesn't block view at all and it's super usefull for long trips to have GPS information at so convinient location...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #176
Nicholas Bentley
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 LCI N55

I love my BMW and I would love a true HUD retrofit, not something like this, as another poster said, alarm clock on my dashboard. I owned a 2003 Z06 before I bought my BMW and it had a true integrated HUD that displayed a reflection on my wind shield. It worked brilliantly and I miss it big time. This thing here just doesn't look classy to me. Chevy 1, BMW 0 in this case I hate to say. On the other hand, I haven't really seen actual HUD's in any of the newer BMW's, so I can't really compare them to what I was used to. I really am interested in a HUD retrofit for my car, just not this one. I don't intend to offend anyone who has gone for this as I'm sure it's very functional, but it just "looks" cheap and tacky.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread