THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos Flying in a Blue Dream

04-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Flying in a Blue Dream

Points if you get that reference.

I would have rather waited to post pics when I had the car in a location with more bucolic backgrounds, but I decided I couldn't wait any longer.

Yeah, it's a lot of pics... but I love the car & can't help myself. Just wanted to show a bunch of angles so folks could see everything & get a load of the reflections in the flawless paint job.

Some info for those who are curious or would ask the question...

The accent color on the M Performance parts is BMW's Valencia Orange. Painted by Airport Autobody in Hartford CT. $770 for all parts & the paint job is IMPECCABLE. In fact, that is not a strong enough word to describe the quality of work. Ken at Airport is the painter, and he did an amazing job. I installed the parts myself. Easy.

I installed the M Performance exhaust. I defeated the valve by removing the actuator pin that connects the motor & valve shafts. Then I tied the valve shaft in the open position with steel wire. The plug is still connected, but without the pin the valve doesn't close. This way, the plug does not need to be tied off & taped/covered with a rubber glove finger to protect it. Super easy to install - good god, don't pay anybody to do it.

Wheels are 18"x8" Replika. Great price, high quality, lower weight than stock (3 lbs each). They took VERY little weight to balance - surprising. OEM center hub cap fits. Once I saw them on a brand new M4 in that crazy sky-blue color that car comes in, decided these were the wheels of choice. I didn't do 19" because I wanted to keep stock ride/feel. And CT roads SUCK.

The polishes & waxes I use:

Since this is a new car, all were applied & removed by hand. No sealant applied yet, since new. But car needed wax because I told the dealer not to apply anything to the paint - and they were awesome about it. they babied it for me. (Thanks guys!)

Turtle Wax ICE polish. Really enriches the paint color, easy on/off and no residue.
Wolfgang high gloss finishing glaze
Wolfgang carnauba wax
2 coats of Griot's liquid carnauba wax following the "concours" directions.
PERL water-based silicone tire treatment. (Stuff's awesome.)

Eventually, may do CF mirror covers, or paint EB II myself.

Hope you like.
Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Yikes, that orange is loud. What made you pick Valencia Orange for accent color?

Regardless, the car looks awesome. Glad you're happy with it!
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

nice ride
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Looks awesome. Great ride.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not as loud as you think

Trust me the pics don't do it justice. It looks awesome. It's more copper-like; similar to a slightly used new penny. The metallic pops very nicely & the tone matches the blue's tone. Almost did that Sakhir orange from the M cars, but it was way too red.

Blue - expected.
Mineral gray or black.. can't see it.
White - yawn.
Red - no. Did I say no?
Yellow - probably my second choice, if the right yellow. But blue & yellow is so... Camaro. Not that that is a bad thing - I am a major Camaro fan. 60's versions.
Green - a nice metallic lime might look cool. Mebbe I'll change with the seasons. heh heh

Orange... blue's natural complement color & as you said, Yikes! Stands out. The loud matches the exhaust. I ain't driving a Prius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Yikes, that orange is loud. What made you pick Valencia Orange for accent color?

Regardless, the car looks awesome. Glad you're happy with it!
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

You had me until I saw the front...too much for my taste but the sides look really good
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #7
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Better pic of the orange.

This pic you can see how the orange is not quite a reddish as it appears in the other pics. This is more like the actual color. (At least it appears so on my laptop screen when comparing to the other pics.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65 View Post
Beautiful song -- but hard to replicate at parties because of the looping and delay trickery. Satch Boogie was my fave off of that disc for semi-impromptu teenage shredding sessions, hehe.

Kickin' color combo - especially the apropo VO. They'd love you in Denver with that car. I'd think about VO mirror covers to help balance the look, but that's just IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Looks great!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

funny you say that about painting the mirror covers! I am thinking about it... either estoril blue or the VO. I know I can just repaint if I don't like either option, or CF (but that is just too much $ that I'd rather spend on speakers. LOL

I had a buddy that could play the solos in that song. I did the rhythm parts. We would also do The Forgotten Part II. (I would play Forgotten Part I.)

(I knew you'd get that reference, too! HA!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Beautiful song -- but hard to replicate at parties because of the looping and delay trickery. Satch Boogie was my fave off of that disc for semi-impromptu teenage shredding sessions, hehe.

Kickin' color combo - especially the apropo VO. They'd love you in Denver with that car. I'd think about VO mirror covers to help balance the look, but that's just IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #11
tinyTIM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235 xdrive

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Your setup looks great. I really like the blue and orange theme. Love those wheels as well and am thinking about doing a set up like that. Can you post the specs on the wheels and tire setup? If you can't post where you purchased them from, please PM me if you can. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #12
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
I had a buddy that could play the solos in that song. I did the rhythm parts. We would also do The Forgotten Part II. (I would play Forgotten Part I.)

(I knew you'd get that reference, too! HA!)
I just realized that Satch Boogie is on the previous disc, Surfing With the Alien. Gah ... I guess my mind was either in a blue dream or I was a forgotten yesterday ... Or maybe the Big Bad Moon was out?

(Funny anecdote: I played Always With Me, Always With You for my grandparents once. Grandad was a songwriter. The look on both their faces after that was priceless -- basically "That was ... umm ... nice, but ... WTH was that?"
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 11:37 PM   #14
VividRacingII
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F80 M3

Very special 235i!!! Post more videos for us. :-)
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #15
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Info on the wheels & tires

Howdy!

The wheels are 18"x8"; 35mm offset for all 4. Stock M235i summer tires fit perfectly, even though staggered. The OEM center caps also fit the wheels. There is no rub & no poke, contrary to anything else you might read about 8" wheels with 35mm offsets.

I purchased them through 1010Tire.com. As far as I could tell, they are the only online source for these wheels (except ebay). Buy through 1010tires, though, as they guarantee fitment.

They are in Canada so the wheels have to go through customs. Expect a minor delay in shipping. You do not pay any VAT.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyTIM View Post
Your setup looks great. I really like the blue and orange theme. Love those wheels as well and am thinking about doing a set up like that. Can you post the specs on the wheels and tire setup? If you can't post where you purchased them from, please PM me if you can. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #16
PARTS@STBMW
Rep

Looks amazing! Well done!
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #17
tinyTIM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235 xdrive

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Howdy!

The wheels are 18"x8"; 35mm offset for all 4. Stock M235i summer tires fit perfectly, even though staggered. The OEM center caps also fit the wheels. There is no rub & no poke, contrary to anything else you might read about 8" wheels with 35mm offsets.

I purchased them through 1010Tire.com. As far as I could tell, they are the only online source for these wheels (except ebay). Buy through 1010tires, though, as they guarantee fitment.

They are in Canada so the wheels have to go through customs. Expect a minor delay in shipping. You do not pay any VAT.

Jim
Thanks for the info! 1010Tire was the only source I found as well. That setup looks perfect and is my first choice as of now.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #18
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The Replika wheels

The dealer where I bought my car about flipped their lids when they saw the car with those wheels on them. They are sharp lookin'. And know what else? Easy as pie to clean. Put a good couple coats of a synthetic polish & wax - I can hose most dirt right off. I bought a very cool, easy to use wheel brush from autogeek.net (I do not work for them in any way) and the thing works like a charm. Speedmaster wheel brush - get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyTIM View Post
Thanks for the info! 1010Tire was the only source I found as well. That setup looks perfect and is my first choice as of now.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 03:14 PM   #19
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Some better shots of the rear valance

Adding some additional shots to better show the rear valance paint job
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #20
VMRWheels
General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
At first, I wasn't really into the accents, but, the more I look at it, it grows on me. Have you thought about doing the mirrors to match in VO instead of carbon wrap?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #21
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
At first, I wasn't really into the accents, but, the more I look at it, it grows on me. Have you thought about doing the mirrors to match in VO instead of carbon wrap?
I have thought about it. And I am with you - I liked the orange on the thin line parts & the rear valance. The front splitter lower fascia parts were a tougher bit to chew. But like you, over time they've grown on me, and like you, I've thought about the VO on the mirrors. They're currently painted EBII. I've thought about VO accent, if not entirely VO.

I am getting tons of thumbs up. I've come out to folks standing around my car taking pics of it too (could be they're taking pics to post on www.hownottopaintyourcar.com, though...) LOL
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #22
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 MG 6-Spd

Quote:

I would have rather waited to post pics when I had the car in a location with more bucolic backgrounds, but I decided I couldn't wait any longer.

Yeah, it's a lot of pics... but I love the car & can't help myself. Just wanted to show a bunch of angles so folks could see everything & get a load of the reflections in the flawless paint job.

Some info for those who are curious or would ask the question...

The accent color on the M Performance parts is BMW's Valencia Orange. Painted by Airport Autobody in Hartford CT. $770 for all parts & the paint job is IMPECCABLE. In fact, that is not a strong enough word to describe the quality of work. Ken at Airport is the painter, and he did an amazing job. I installed the parts myself. Easy.

I installed the M Performance exhaust. I defeated the valve by removing the actuator pin that connects the motor & valve shafts. Then I tied the valve shaft in the open position with steel wire. The plug is still connected, but without the pin the valve doesn't close. This way, the plug does not need to be tied off & taped/covered with a rubber glove finger to protect it. Super easy to install - good god, don't pay anybody to do it.

Wheels are 18"x8" Replika. Great price, high quality, lower weight than stock (3 lbs each). They took VERY little weight to balance - surprising. OEM center hub cap fits. Once I saw them on a brand new M4 in that crazy sky-blue color that car comes in, decided these were the wheels of choice. I didn't do 19" because I wanted to keep stock ride/feel. And CT roads SUCK.

The polishes & waxes I use:

Since this is a new car, all were applied & removed by hand. No sealant applied yet, since new. But car needed wax because I told the dealer not to apply anything to the paint - and they were awesome about it. they babied it for me. (Thanks guys!)

Turtle Wax ICE polish. Really enriches the paint color, easy on/off and no residue.
Wolfgang high gloss finishing glaze
Wolfgang carnauba wax
2 coats of Griot's liquid carnauba wax following the "concours" directions.
PERL water-based silicone tire treatment. (Stuff's awesome.)

Eventually, may do CF mirror covers, or paint EB II myself.

Hope you like.
Awesome, is this on stock suspension no spacers? I was thinking of going the same wheels 18x8 and squaring them up on the tires and stock suspension. what tires would you recommend running? 245 40? thanks!
Appreciate 0