BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Production ready BMW M2 spotted in Alpine White

07-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #265
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Autoevolution has a really nice breakdown on why Autocar are wrong.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/40...-it-88043.html

The impression I've developed over the years is that Autocar are a bunch of headline trolling losers just looking for ad impressions rather than actual facts.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #266
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post

The impression I've developed over the years is that Autocar are a bunch of headline trolling losers just looking for ad impressions rather than actual facts.
That is indeed a great article. And considering that one was posted in Fall 2014, I'm surprised I haven't seen it earlier. But he nails it on the head.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #267
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, BMW 118d sport

Didn't think autocar can afford to mess up like this but seems like bad journalism applies to car news as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:21 PM   #268
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticamihai2003 View Post
Didn't think autocar can afford to mess up like this but seems like bad journalism applies to car news as well.
Autocar has become notorious for playing fast and loose with rumors. I'm amazed that execs from any major manufacturers still talk to them. Their formula is: take a quote out of context, spin it in to "facts", circulate.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #269
Captain45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 - SG

I know this is still in a mule body but man, this is the most underwhelming, plain jane looking car I've seen in awhile. Looks like a car you'd see on a hertz rental lot.

If this is going to be a new M pedigree, just save the "spotted" shots for when its in its final skin.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #270
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain45 View Post
I know this is still in a mule body but man, this is the most underwhelming, plain jane looking car I've seen in awhile. Looks like a car you'd see on a hertz rental lot.

If this is going to be a new M pedigree, just save the "spotted" shots for when its in its final skin.
      08-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #271
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain45 View Post

Prepare to eat your ridiculous words
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #272
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

I'm seeing a lot of hate for the single twin scroll setups. I don't know how many of you had n54's but I would take a single over twins for this application. In a perfect world, two turbos working together within their efficiency range are more "robust" than a single setup working harder but that's just not the case. It just means more moving parts. Sure you get more low end/mid range grunt when done correctly. That doesn't translate into the high revving M philosophy.

To be honest, I think a larger single will make a lot of people happy. We aren't talking large, just larger than the minuscule turbos td03-td04 sized turbos. I would happily trade the almost unneeded <1700 rpm grunt for something that pulls hard all the way to the top.

The n54 really becomes special when combined with a larger (52-62ish) twin scroll turbo. I'm not saying I expect that but why not something like the small Borg Warner EFR turbos. Something that can breath to 7500rpm and 500whp would be amazing. When it comes down to it, I'm not using 100% throttle at 2k rpm, maybe 3.5-4k when merging. A larger twin scroll can handle that undoubtably. Even far lower. We do have 3.0L to work with.

To me this translates to a few things.

1-NA style throttle response down low and when downshifting
2-more tuner friendly
3-power where you want it.
4-much better sound
5-more reliable/safer for the engine. Bigger turbo vs small turbo at the same boost level not only equals more power, but less strain on the engine.

There's no room today for the lag argument. The technology is there. The question is: do you want 450lbs of torque when your leaving Wendy's parking lot, or when your actually trying to have fun? High gear highway passing speeds included.

I hope some agree with my little rant
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #273
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Man, it's a snooze fest around here lately. Give us something to talk about BMW!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #274
B///MW
Lance Bombardier
United_States
Rep
Drives: It varies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
Man, it's a snooze fest around here lately. Give us something to talk about BMW!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #275
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
I'm seeing a lot of hate for the single twin scroll setups. I don't know how many of you had n54's but I would take a single over twins for this application. In a perfect world, two turbos working together within their efficiency range are more "robust" than a single setup working harder but that's just not the case. It just means more moving parts. Sure you get more low end/mid range grunt when done correctly. That doesn't translate into the high revving M philosophy.

To be honest, I think a larger single will make a lot of people happy. We aren't talking large, just larger than the minuscule turbos td03-td04 sized turbos. I would happily trade the almost unneeded <1700 rpm grunt for something that pulls hard all the way to the top.

The n54 really becomes special when combined with a larger (52-62ish) twin scroll turbo. I'm not saying I expect that but why not something like the small Borg Warner EFR turbos. Something that can breath to 7500rpm and 500whp would be amazing. When it comes down to it, I'm not using 100% throttle at 2k rpm, maybe 3.5-4k when merging. A larger twin scroll can handle that undoubtably. Even far lower. We do have 3.0L to work with.

2-more tuner friendly
4-much better sound
5-more reliable/safer for the engine. Bigger turbo vs small turbo at the same boost level not only equals more power, but less strain on the engine.

There's no room today for the lag argument. The technology is there. The question is: do you want 450lbs of torque when your leaving Wendy's parking lot, or when your actually trying to have fun? High gear highway passing speeds included.

None of the latest generation of super high performance turbo cars that are designed to mimmick naturally aspirated performance are single turbo.

M3/M5, Ferrari 488, Merc. GTS. They all use tiny little twins with water air I/C and super short intake plumbing.

Drive an F80 . . . it's about as close to naturally aspirated as a turbo engine can feel, and it revs too.
      08-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #276
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:

2-more tuner friendly
4-much better sound
Your list is fine, but above all of those is fuel efficiency. If that paramount goal is not achieved by an engine design, it's not going to happen. There is much more riding on them building fuel efficient engines than making the power hungry segment of their fan base happy.
      08-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #277
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
None of the latest generation of super high performance turbo cars that are designed to mimmick naturally aspirated performance are single turbo.

M3/M5, Ferrari 488, Merc. GTS. They all use tiny little twins with water air I/C and super short intake plumbing.

Drive an F80 . . . it's about as close to naturally aspirated as a turbo engine can feel, and it revs too.

The twin-scroll, single turbo setup on the N55 served two purposes:

1) Reduced cost.

2) Increased fuel efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #278
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:

The twin-scroll, single turbo setup on the N55 served two purposes:

1) Reduced cost.

2) Increased fuel efficiency.
Agree.

Nothing more nothing less, it's a business, BMW are there to make money after all.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #279
RLBB
Private
Rep
Drives: 118d

Quote:

Don't be fooled by auto evolution though. They copy a lot of the stuff from here and other bmw blogs. Lots of their info is reused and applied some common sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #280
sebaflex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:

2-more tuner friendly
4-much better sound

Hit the nail on the head buddy. I agree!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #281
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBB View Post
Don't be fooled by auto evolution though. They copy a lot of the stuff from here and other bmw blogs. Lots of their info is reused and applied some common sense.
Wait a second. Don't be fooled by Auto Evolution? They haven't claimed to be a primary source. To "copy a lot of stuff from here and other bmw blogs" is called research. These forums are as good a source as any when it comes to rumor leaks. Gathering information and applying common sense isn't fooling; it's informing.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 08:42 AM   #282
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MW/// View Post
THIS !!
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #283
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

2-more tuner friendly
4-much better sound

BMW engineers themselves opted for a TWIN turbo set up on the N54 and also advised that it was because the engine had more power and more robust (read: reliable, as you mentioned) as a twin turbo setup. This is why the 1M used a twin turbo and not the single turbo that was on the N55.

I am aware of the single turbo aftermarket.... and while all out POWER is a goal using a single turbo setup.... is the reliability the same? I made a comment in an EAS tuning thread yesterday when a tuner said that now the motor is making power " like it should be "

My question (which he declined to respond to)

What's the warranty?
Who pays for the motor when it blows up in the first 2 years ( in some markets... and in 4 years for the US market ) ?

When you tune for all out power.. the tradeoff is reliability. So of course.. one can make more power using different setups and dialing up the boost and messing with the fuel a bit... .. but If you can't guarantee the same reliability then you are comparing apples and oranges..

and finally.... companies must watch out for emissions...
When you make a single turbo mod in your shop..... are you concerned about the car passing emissions for the next 10 to 20 years?

BMW is... because they have to deal with things like emissions in Europe and also CAFE requlations in the US. the aftermarket tuner.. does not.

So... my answer is.... no ... I don't want 450 Hp if it means that I don't have a warranty... 335 hp has been just fine for me.... if you love 450... go for it... but don't expect manufacturers to design cars to make it easier for you to modify...... I am pretty sure that line item falls off their list of design goals pretty early on when they have to be concerned about providing a warranty and dealing with emissions requirements... That's also why manufacturers go RACING... ;-) so they can really explore without having to worry about laws and bean counters.. perhaps you will be very interested in what power is made by the new M6 GTR with it's turbo motor.. ?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1158592

hmmm... M twin power technology..

As far as the " unneeded " grunt at 1700 rpm... leggo my Eggo... I use that on the street EVERY TIME I accelerate...
I do not get to redline or the top end of the rpm range... Every time I accelerate...

When I owned my E30 M3.... I *did * to take it to redline nearly every shift.. ... believe me... the car sounded so good... and you had to!
However.. It's simply much more satisfying in real world driving situations for the majority of buyers to have plenty of torque as opposed to a ton of hp at 8K rpm. In this regard.. the 1M is a much more fun car to drive on a daily basis than the E90x M3 and the E46 M3.

Sure.. at the track... I do wish I had more of that top end... and the S55 does provide that right?
I just wish BMW would have had the balls to make the M2 with a wild 4 cylinder S20, ... because they could have the high revving screaming motor like the S14 and also retained the torque output similar to a 6 cylinder motor

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-07-2015 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #284
Gonven
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Not to much to see but still, a M2 Alpine White is there

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hp..._9651614_n.mp4
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #285
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
BMW engineers themselves opted for a TWIN turbo set up on the N54 and also advised that it was because the engine had more power and more robust (read: reliable, as you mentioned) as a twin turbo setup. This is why the 1M used a twin turbo and not the single turbo that was on the N55.

I am aware of the single turbo aftermarket.... and while all out POWER is a goal using a single turbo setup.... is the reliability the same? I made a comment in an EAS tuning thread yesterday when a tuner said that now the motor is making power " like it should be "

My question (which he declined to respond to)

What's the warranty?
Who pays for the motor when it blows up in the first 2 years ( in some markets... and in 4 years for the US market ) ?

When you tune for all out power.. the tradeoff is reliability. So of course.. one can make more power using different setups and dialing up the boost and messing with the fuel a bit... .. but If you can't guarantee the same reliability then you are comparing apples and oranges..

and finally.... companies must watch out for emissions...
When you make a single turbo mod in your shop..... are you concerned about the car passing emissions for the next 10 to 20 years?

BMW is... because they have to deal with things like emissions in Europe and also CAFE requlations in the US. the aftermarket tuner.. does not.

So... my answer is.... no ... I don't want 450 Hp if it means that I don't have a warranty... 335 hp has been just fine for me.... if you love 450... go for it... but don't expect manufacturers to design cars to make it easier for you to modify...... I am pretty sure that line item falls off their list of design goals pretty early on when they have to be concerned about providing a warranty and dealing with emissions requirements... That's also why manufacturers go RACING... ;-) so they can really explore without having to worry about laws and bean counters.. perhaps you will be very interested in what power is made by the new M6 GTR with it's turbo motor.. ?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1158592

hmmm... M twin power technology..

As far as the " unneeded " grunt at 1700 rpm... leggo my Eggo... I use that on the street EVERY TIME I accelerate...
I do not get to redline or the top end of the rpm range... Every time I accelerate...

When I owned my E30 M3.... I *did * to take it to redline nearly every shift.. ... believe me... the car sounded so good... and you had to!
However.. It's simply much more satisfying in real world driving situations for the majority of buyers to have plenty of torque as opposed to a ton of hp at 8K rpm. In this regard.. the 1M is a much more fun car to drive on a daily basis than the E90x M3 and the E46 M3.

Sure.. at the track... I do wish I had more of that top end... and the S55 does provide that right?
I just wish BMW would have had the balls to make the M2 with a wild 4 cylinder S20, ... because they could have the high revving screaming motor like the S14 and also retained the torque output similar to a 6 cylinder motor
I basically agree with everything here. I guess what I would be happier with is a strung out S turbo 4. I probably hated the idea of it less than 6 months ago. Now it just sounds fantastic.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #286
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

New to bmw forums

Will the M2 have M-seats and M-rear-view mirrors?

New to this forum so idk if it has been disscused before or not.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0