BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > BMW M235i vs. BMW M2 vs. Audi S3 vs. Volkswagen Golf R

07-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #23
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

I'd have to throw the new Audi TTS into the mix

In terms of practicality of a daily driver, the back seats are a little less useful than the M but it is a hatchback with folding rear seats so you can haul a lot of stuff when needed.

Interior is fantastic and the new customizable all digital high definition dash is an industry game-changer. Certainly better than any BMW MMI that gets negative comments from most professional reviewers.

About 10% less HP than the M135 but also about 10% lighter, lighter being an advantage on the track.

Newest version of the quattro AWD system which includes vectored cornering.

About the same price as a comparably equipped M235. Many standard features on the TTS are options on the M, power seats, lumbar, garage door opener, etc.

Biggest negative for some is that the TTS is not sold with a manual tranny but the auto DSG is faster in speed tests. Same engine as the S# but, again, the TT is lighter. Lots of tuning options for the S3 engine.

Final issue with the TTS today is you can't test drive it yet in the US. Dealers are taking orders with deliveries expected in a few months. I'm waiting for a TTS test drive before I make my M or TTS buy decision to replace my 128.

I see the usual comments on Audi reliability on most Beemer forums but my brother has driven a TT exclusively since 2001 and has had no significant issues. He presently has a 2011 quattro roadster that is more fun to drive than my 135 convertible (neither one has been tuned). Also most of the reliability ratings now have Audi near the top of the list, a big change from when my brother bought his first TT in 2001.

Last edited by NVHoo; 07-26-2015 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #24
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

What I'm trying to figure out is for the M235i - everyone complains about two things (that's what it sounds like on Youtube).

1) Braking
2) Steering response

Do you know if the M2 will have the same brakes and steering response?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #25
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
What I'm trying to figure out is for the M235i - everyone complains about two things (that's what it sounds like on Youtube).

1) Braking
2) Steering response

Brakes - better duh. steering same.+
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 02:08 AM   #26
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Drive the 235 and the S3 back to back and you'll pick the 235 every time. Now the RS3... I've driven it and that's a completely different kind of animal. Really, really nice car. Exterior styling is a bit blah though.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #27
sth519
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i → M2 → i4

Quote:
I haven't really heard any major complaints about the brakes so far, quite the opposite in fact.
After driving the M135i for more than two years, I can't really say anything bad about them. At least for normal road use (and that includes lots of Autobahn driving for me), they're perfectly fine. Of course, there's always room for improvement...

In terms of steering: It's lacking feedback, like most EPS systems. It also takes a bit of getting used to at first. However, it's not "bad" – actually it's actually very precise and quite usable after you get used to it. I'd love to see some improvements here, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me on the M135i at all and it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me on the M2.

Quote:
1) Braking
2) Steering response

The M2 has the brakes and steering rack (slightly shortened) from the F8x M3/M4, so there will be a difference.

[edit]: One thing I forgot about the brakes: When it's very wet, there's a noticable delay until they bite. Noticably more than I have experienced on other cars.
People have said that this got a lot better when they switched to "dimpled"/drilled discs. Given that the M2 is getting the M4 brakes (with drilled discs), I don't think this problem will carry over to the M2, though.

Last edited by sth519; 02-06-2016 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #28
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the information. - Yeah it was a horrible driving day. It was raining and the roads have been wet. I had a dealer with me so I couldn't do my own thing.

I tried to get as much as I can.
* the acceleration was great.
* The ride was smooth.
* There was a slight disconnect from with the DCT (i'm getting a M2 with 6MT)
* And the steering was okay but i didn't have time to really get use to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 06:09 AM   #29
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth519 View Post
I haven't really heard any major complaints about the brakes so far, quite the opposite in fact.
After driving the M135i for more than two years, I can't really say anything bad about them. At least for normal road use (and that includes lots of Autobahn driving for me), they're perfectly fine. Of course, there's always room for improvement...

In terms of steering: It's lacking feedback, like most EPS systems. It also takes a bit of getting used to at first. However, it's not "bad" – actually it's actually very precise and quite usable after you get used to it. I'd love to see some improvements here, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me on the M135i at all and it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me on the M2.

The M2 has the brakes and steering rack (slightly shortened) from the F8x M3/M4, so there will be a difference.

[edit]: One thing I forgot about the brakes: When it's very wet, there's a noticable delay until they bite. Noticably more than I have experienced on other cars.
People have said that this got a lot better when they switched to "dimpled"/drilled discs. Given that the M2 is getting the M4 brakes (with drilled discs), I don't think this problem will carry over to the M2, though.
Exactly my experience with the M135i (road and track usage). I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the initial limited break bite on very wet weather, but beside that I find the break system very adequate for the car ( especially compared with older BMW's and under reserve of a minimal common sense usage).

Besides that, having some experience with/owned VW and Audi performance products (and excepting the M135i), I would actually chose a Focus RS anytime over a Golf R or S3, for mostly anything but the interior.

Last edited by flyaway; 02-07-2016 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #30
wigit
Rep
Drives: M2 on order

First post so be gentle, I have a M2 on order in the UK and at the moment have two Mk7 Golf Rs, my wife's is a standard more door dsg and mine is a three door dsg which is stage 1 with some aftermarket suspension, wheels and brakes.

The R is a great all rounder and I sprint and track mine and it does punch above its weight in outright pace.

The issue is it is quite a blunt tool and is missing some of the delicacy of the likes of a M Car or say a Cayman especially in terms of delivering and steering feedback and you have to be aggressive to get the power delivery to the rear.

I was going to swap my R for the M2 but in reality for the daily grind the Golf is a more sensible solution, ironically in terms of pure speed it will be probably quicker but thats not the point.

So the M2 is replacing my little 1.4 Polo with more door R for sensible stuff and mine for commuting, track slagging and when you feel the benefits of 4wd.

The Audi S3/RS always feels a bit dull, went in a RS3 and much preferred the M2 seats (I was at the meet at BMW HQ) and made a great noise at lower speeds but just found it a bit dull and a not that special.

Focus RS will be a great handling car but I have seen numerous ones and snuggle a bit with the perceived quality but not ruled out one replacing the R.

Always liked the look of the M2 and in the flesh loved it and just get the feeling its going to be a great car to drive
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #31
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Congrats on the new Car ..M2 WOOOTTT!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #32
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the information. - Yeah it was a horrible driving day. It was raining and the roads have been wet. I had a dealer with me so I couldn't do my own thing.

I tried to get as much as I can.
* the acceleration was great.
* The ride was smooth.
* There was a slight disconnect from with the DCT (i'm getting a M2 with 6MT)
* And the steering was okay but i didn't have time to really get use to it.
Did you test drive an M235i? I was curious because M235i doesn't have a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #33
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Did you test drive an M235i? I was curious because M235i doesn't have a DCT.
Yeah I test drove it about 3 weeks ago when it actually rained in california (the odds...) and it was really to get a feel of the interior.

it was a good drive but it didn't blow me away. I think it was because i was with a dealer and felt weird acting all cray cray.

I enjoyed the interior - especially a step up from my EVO. In terms of driving mechanics, i didn't have much time to really feel it out, i kinda want another run at it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #34
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99 View Post
m2 and its not even close. the only close comparison is a cayman s, but that will be priced a bit higher i assume.

+1. Also, the Golf looks like a turd.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #35
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
Watch your language (said my R, whom some people call a chisel ).
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #36
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

I guess I'm done here for a while. Bought an R today. I'll probably still test drive the M2 if I get an opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #37
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

I wanted to get the R too as a 4 door compact but fun car. However after talking to few guys on this forum who went fm rear wheel to the haladex setup it seems the understeer present will always make you earn for rear wheel with LSD.

Besides the reviews on this car puts it head and shoulders above the other 3 as far as driving dynamics and fun factor is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 12:18 AM   #38
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
I guess I'm done here for a while. Bought an R today. I'll probably still test drive the M2 if I get an opportunity.
Congratulations man from another R owner

That said, I couldn't live without my 415 Hp M235i, too.
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #39
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr
Quote:
m2 and its not even close. the only close comparison is a cayman s, but that will be priced a bit higher i assume.

I don't think the golf R looks bad at all with the 19" wheels. :
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #40
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr
Quote:

I don't think the golf R looks bad at all with the 19" wheels. :
I'll be honest, I've driven a lot of nice cars over the years. I got more comments when I borrowed my father's bright blue 2008 R32 than anything else I've had. Everything from young kids when I stopped for fuel to old guys at Home Depot parking lot. It's kind of a love it or hate it thing, but people who are into that car REALLY love it. In terms of a great driving car that's also very practical, the Golf R is hard to beat and an amazing value. If it's your only car, at least amongst the choices we are discussing here, it's by far the most sensible option.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #41
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

I stepped back from the M2 when all the reviews came out. It's going to be a great track car and I think it will be enthusiastically embraced by all who seek a brash and very fast car. Unfortunately, it will probably be more brash than what my needs dictate.

In looking for an M2 alternative over the last couple of weeks I drove a 235, 340, Merc C450, VW GTI, and AMG GLA45. I wanted to drive a Cayman but they have none and won't be getting any for awhile. Something about what Porsche has in production as they gear up for the 718.

The BMW's and the C450 had no connection to the road. Hard to explain but just didn't feel like I was engaged in the driving process. Suppose it would have helped if the BMW's were available in a 6MT to test drive but you rarely find those in stock. The AMG GLA45 was strange. Great engine tied to a transmission I really didn't care for. You don't buy this sort of car to wait around for the tranny. The surprise for me was the GTI. I had never driven one. 6MT was very good, overall it felt completely connected to the road, and for me, a perfectly adequate interior. Also, perfect practicality. I could see me putting my sea kayaks on top of this thing and a bicycle in the back. So I bought a Golf R they have incoming. Should be here late next week.

I'll keep my deposit on the M2 until everything goes through (might have gotten a 2017 late fall) but looks like I'm off to a different forum. I learned a lot here and enjoyed my stay. Will peek in occasionally to see folks going crazy with their M2's. I think it will be an amazing performance car.

Last edited by Spook410; 03-24-2016 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #42
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Funny.. I had an R on order and cancelled it to obtain a 235i. I know the R is more practical, but the 235i in RWD is a totally different drive altogether. The M2 is obviously out of the box faster/better for track use, but it doesn't take much to get the same performance our of a standard 2 series.

M2 would be nice because you don't need to do anything to it for heavy track use, but it doesn't seem worth the extra $ (to me).

Audi S3, is just an overpriced R. Might as well get an R for $10k less
      03-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #43
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

Got the R this morning. 6MT, gray, DCC. It's a nice car. It's fast. Not 6cyl BMW fast, but there is something to be said for having to drive a manual without instant and massive torque. It's a sensible shoes car for someone who enjoys driving. The hatch configuration. The low profile design. And when winter comes again, the AWD.

For those that want what the M2 does, this isn't their car. For me, I think I'll really like it.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #44
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

M235i here. I could not test drive a Golf R. None available. The local dealer has them sold before they arrive. I did test drive the Audi S3. I thought it was ok, but I experienced some turbo lag from a standing start trying to enter into traffic that I disliked greatly. I thought it was dangerous as oncoming traffic could have hit me while I'm waiting for the car to get going. Do what I did. Go drive whatever you can get your hands on. The opinions of others are interesting, but you should not substitute those opinions for how the cars feel to you.
Appreciate 0