Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
This. I want to do this if I can, knowing that resale will be excellent.

I want to see how long they extend spyder and gt4 allocations.

If they build them for 2017 I will try to order a spyder. Only option I need (other than adding in radio and ac) is gray painted OEM wheels.

Guards red spyder
That color on the wheels is awesome - I almost went with them, but decided on the black ones in the end. The offset with GR and platinum wheels will be sick.

The M2 will look nice with the black M3 wheels too - especially in AW. I am sure someone will end up painting/powder-coating them in some sort of gray finish too, which will also be interesting.
      08-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #332
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
That color on the wheels is awesome - I almost went with them, but decided on the black ones in the end. The offset with GR and platinum wheels will be sick.

The M2 will look nice with the black M3 wheels too - especially in AW. I am sure someone will end up painting/powder-coating them in some sort of gray finish too, which will also be interesting.
I think they'd be crazy to do that to the black M wheels personally. I'm neither a giant fan of 5 spoke wheels, or black wheels in general, but I really do like these ones. They're really more of a really dark gunmetal than a pure black finish. They'll also look amazing on LBB.

The only reason I'd skip them on the M3 is because I know I'd eventually go aftermarket wheels. But if BMW is going to throw them our way on the M2 as standard, then I'd be happy to leave them as is (with spacers though)
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #333
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
The price doesn't worry me that much, but if daily driving, having to slow down to a crawl and potentially not even be able to traverse certain paths would get annoying. People keep telling me to sell my weekend Lotus to solve this problem.
Agree.. It's the constant worrying about hitting a dip on the highway or not being able to get into a gas station due to its entry way... Everyday things which can get annoying. The sacrifices for a high performance car...

I did ask my brother to drive his 911 Targa 4S on my garage ramp as well as my friend's lowered M4 (on H&R Sports). There was plenty space for both cars, even though they are not as low as the GT4, but it did alleviate my fears a little since the lowered M4 is close in ride height. We shall see...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #334
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Agree.. It's the constant worrying about hitting a dip on the highway or not being able to get into a gas station due to its entry way... Everyday things which can get annoying. The sacrifices for a high performance car...

I did ask my brother to drive his 911 Targa 4S on my garage ramp as well as my friend's lowered M4 (on H&R Sports). There was plenty space for both cars, even though they are not as low as the GT4, but it did alleviate my fears a little since the lowered M4 is close in ride height. We shall see...
Ride height alone is not a good indicator, but ride height + nose length. Porsche publishes facts on the "approach angle" for its cars, which is the angle between the front of the wheel and the top of the nose. For example, even though the GT4 is only .3" lower than the Cayman GTS, the GT4's approach angle is 2/3rds that of the GTS.

With my Lotus I do have some light scraping once in a while, but for the most part, I do not worry about being able to take it places. The ride height is very low, but the front overhang is short.

That said there are lots of people with GT3s and no front lift, so it just depends on your particular situation.

Attached Images

Last edited by vantagesc; 08-03-2015 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #335
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
Ride height alone is not a good indicator, but ride height + nose length. Porsche publishes facts on the "approach angle" for its cars, which is the angle between the front of the wheel and the top of the nose. For example, even though the GT4 is only .3" lower than the Cayman GTS, the GT4's approach angle is 2/3rds that of the GTS.

With my Lotus I do have some light scraping once in a while, but for the most part, I do not worry about being able to take it places. The ride height is very low, but the front overhang is short.

That said there are lots of people with GT3s and no front lift, so it just depends on your particular situation.
Yup, I saw the approach angle figures and they are pretty much the same as the GT3, and I know of one person who has a GT3 without a lift kit. He said it isn't the driveways (not just his but others as well) or entry ways that scrape his front too often, it's mainly on the highway dips where he was too late to see, and he scrapes the bottom at high speeds. He said even a lift kit won't help in that regard. Essentially, it's when you are unprepared. But you are right, it is to do with particular circumstances.

Best you can do is approach a ramp at a 45 degree angle at slow speeds. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory, and in this case the GT4 has a long, low-hanging nose.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #336
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
He said it isn't the driveways (not just his but others as well) or entry ways that scrape his front too often, it's mainly on the highway dips where he was too late to see, and he scrapes the bottom at high speeds. He said even a lift kit won't help in that regard. Essentially, it's when you are unprepared.
That's hilarious.

Does he think that he couldn't go certain places unless he had the lift? Parking garages in particular.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #337
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Reading the Road

Quote:
Yup, I saw the approach angle figures and they are pretty much the same as the GT3, and I know of one person who has a GT3 without a lift kit. He said it isn't the driveways (not just his but others as well) or entry ways that scrape his front too often, it's mainly on the highway dips where he was too late to see, and he scrapes the bottom at high speeds. He said even a lift kit won't help in that regard. Essentially, it's when you are unprepared. But you are right, it is to do with particular circumstances.

Best you can do is approach a ramp at a 45 degree angle at slow speeds. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory, and in this case the GT4 has a long, low-hanging nose.
Before RADAR was on the highways, we used to drive to Sebring's 12 Hours of Enduracne on two lane roads only paying attention the oil temperature gauge and the tach. The speedo was irrelevant. As a necessity, we learned to read the road. The width of the oil patch down the center of the lane would tell you where the bumps were. Where it suddenly got wide, the trucker's suspension had been compressed and oil had been deposited. The big ones meant big brakes before you got there. It's not as obvious these days, but it can help.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #338
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
Before RADAR was on the highways, we used to drive to Sebring's 12 Hours of Enduracne on two lane roads only paying attention the oil temperature gauge and the tach. The speedo was irrelevant. As a necessity, we learned to read the road. The width of the oil patch down the center of the lane would tell you where the bumps were. Where it suddenly got wide, the trucker's suspension had been compressed and oil had been deposited. The big ones meant big brakes before you got there. It's not as obvious these days, but it can help.
That's a pretty interesting way to go about it! U.S. roads are just not very good unfortunately and we have to be extra careful with sport cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #339
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGregory View Post
The Cayman S looks really nice from head on.
Damning with faint praise?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #340
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Several of the GT3ers on Rennlist skipped the lift. They did not want the extra weight, extra motor, extra cost, etc. Or, more simply, they skipped the lift because race car. Doesn't seem like any of them have had a problem. But it depends a bit on where you live and drive. The GT3ers in San Fran, for example, all got the lift. The lift is more of a DD or comfort/convenience thing, not something you would ever want on your car if you are track- or race-focused. If it were offered on the GT4, I'd skip it. YMMV!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #341
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Re GT4 ground clearance: as I commented earlier in this thread, for urban jungle use, too bad that the Cayman GT4 doesn't feature the front axle lifting system (nose lift) that is optional on the 2016 GT3 RS.

See in the video below: 04:57-05:34 | 08:00-08:15 | 08:34-08:42

08-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #342
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Re GT4 ground clearance: as I commented earlier in this thread, for urban jungle use, too bad that the Cayman GT4 doesn't feature the front axle lifting system (nose lift) that is optional on the 2016 GT3 RS.
Yes, it may have helped my situation. Ground clearance when entering/exiting my home and work garage was the reason I cancelled my order.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #343
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:

See in the video below: 04:57-05:34 | 08:00-08:15 | 08:34-08:42

That video is falsifying things. You even pointed it out in 08:34-08:42, so I was a little confused by what you said. At the end of the video, the reviewer is using a piece of plastic to mimic the sound of scraping (over the speed bumps) as a joke. So all those scrapes heard in the video, were just him rubbing that blue plastic against the ground.

One owner on Rennlist even said it is almost the same height as his E92 M3. The big difference is the approach angle due to the longer lip on the GT4.

Oh well, I'll find out next Friday!

Last edited by csbear; 08-11-2015 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #344
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
That video is falsifying things. You even pointed it out in 08:34-08:42, so I was a little confused by what you said. At the end of the video, the reviewer is using a piece of plastic to mimic the sound of scraping (over the speed bumps) as a joke. So all those scrapes heard in the video, were just him rubbing that blue plastic against the ground.
One owner on Rennlist even said it is almost the same height as his E92 M3. The big difference is the approach angle due to the longer lip on the GT4.
Oh well, I'll find out next Friday!
You're correct, csbear. Don't judge the ground clearance by the mimicked scraping sounds in the Dutch video. But the reviewer was making the point that it's a tad too close for being comfortable due to the height + long overhang combination (as previously pointed out in this thread).

To enter one of my garages and exit the work garage, I even need to almost stop my 1M (still at stock ride height for this purpose !) and carefully negotiate nasty angles, otherwise it scrapes the front bumper (been there, done that). I guess the GT4 simply could not enter/exit those places without scraping or, worse, ripping the bumper apart.

So if you got some nasty angles to regularly negotiate in your whereabouts (or even to get your GT4 on a trailer to bring it to the track), I guess that you need to provide for a separate budget to replace from time to time the black underside protection part of the bumper. Well, from hindsight a 'good' thing that Porsche foresaw this.

I hope you'll be fine. Very soon you'll have an instant classic motoring marvel on your hands.
      08-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #345
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
You're correct, csbear. Don't judge the ground clearance by the mimicked scraping sounds in the Dutch video. But the reviewer was making the point that it's a tad too close for being comfortable due to the height + long overhang combination (as previously pointed out in this thread).

To enter one of my garages and exit the work garage, I even need to almost stop my 1M (still at stock ride height for this purpose !) and carefully negotiate nasty angles, otherwise it scrapes the front bumper (been there, done that). I guess the GT4 simply could not enter/exit those places without scraping or, worse, ripping the bumper apart.

So if you got some nasty angles to regularly negotiate in your whereabouts (or even to get your GT4 on a trailer to bring it to the track), I guess that you need to provide for a separate budget to replace from time to time the black underside protection part of the bumper. Well, from hindsight a 'good' thing that Porsche foresaw this.

I hope you'll be fine. Very soon you'll have an instant classic motoring marvel on your hands.
interesting... pretty sure no scrapes on my 1M front bumper and I have the subdivision lip on my driveway... it does

I can also load my car onto a trailer using 6 foot ramps without issue.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-12-2015 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #346
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
interesting... pretty sure no scrapes on my 1M front bumper and I have the subdivision lip on my driveway... it does
I can also load my car onto a trailer using 6 foot ramps without issue.
GT4: at high speed it rips the roads apart - at low speed the roads (road bumps) rip it apart.
      08-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #347
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:

We shall see my friend! The GT4s are rolling in State side and many are saying it's not as bad as initially advertised. I really hope so because I have a slight incline on my garage entrance.

I guess in your case with the 1M at stock height and your work garage that would definitely be more worrisome with the GT4. I might have to pull some car-contortionist maneuvers at my condo garage entrance.

BTW, sweet ride that 1M especially in VO. Love that car...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #348
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

Is this LBB finish?
It looks really good with the dark wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #349
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAgent View Post
Is this LBB finish?
It looks really good with the dark wheels.
It's Atlantis Blue, but I can hardly tell the difference between it and LBB. Very similar colors. But yes, those wheels work perfectly with the color
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #350
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Believe the hype, the car is a freaken blast to drive. For under $100k, there's no other car I'd consider. It's totally DD-able, I don't know what some of these guys are saying. My E36 M3 is harsher (coilovers set to full stiff) than the GT4, and it even sits a little lower.

It's insane how much grip and how composed it is. My friend's car only has 60 miles on it, so I didn't push it. I will agree with what some people are saying about how the gears are a little too tall. But I'd like to take it to WOT first before being sure.

What a machine. Like I said, good thing I can't afford one so I'll stick to my M2

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #351
csbear
Major
Rep

Here is mine getting prepped! And yes W///, from what many are saying it can definitely be a DD. Just have to be a little careful with some entrances, etc, but that's expected of most enthusiast cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      08-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #352
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

Beautiful car. Maybe one of these days...
Appreciate 0