THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Toronto Star Best new performance: BMW M235i

11-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Toronto Star Best new performance: BMW M235i

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/autos...bmw_m235i.html
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
CONTROL ONE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Spot on. Good article.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

For the lazy :P -

By: Emily Atkins Special to the Star, Published on Tue Nov 18 2014

"Sometimes committees can make good decisions, proven this time by the Wheels panel’s selection of the BMW M235i as the best of the top three sports performance cars for 2015. It easily beat out the Volvo V60 Polestar and the Dodge Challenger.

To drive it is to love it. That’s the consensus opinion on the BMW.

It’s not the horsepower and torque (320 and 332 ft.-lb.), it’s not the striking new design or elegantly detailed interior, it’s not the dialed-in handling or the precise six-speed manual gearbox, it’s not the throaty growl that you can feel through the supportive seats. No, it’s the whole package that makes this car the winner.

For under $50,000, BMW will let you take one of these superb machines off their lot and unleash it on the open road. You get a lot of go for that amount of dough, packaged with the right amount of technology and wrapped in a pretty skin.
A true driving enthusiast needs to make no compromises to choose this car. Just be sure to bring along an extra grand or two so you don’t have to drive a white one.

While the Polestar is a superb car, it may have been handicapped by its appearance. Apparently not everyone loves a wagon that can boogie the way this one does. But this car really can hoof it, and in the safest way.

Of the three, it’s the least sports car in looks, although the brilliant Rebel Blue (a shade close to Petty Blue), certainly turns heads. But when you are on the inside looks don’t matter, it’s how the car turns your inputs into action.
Volvo engineers have succeeded in creating a car that is as safe as it is fun to drive. The powerful 3-litre 6-cylinder engine churns out 345 hp and 369 lb.-ft. of torque for a pants-kicking 5.3 second zero to 100 km/h run. And it stops again in only 36.8 metres, outbraking the Challenger by 4.9 metres—impressive numbers for a station wagon.

The Challenger is powered by the infamous Hellcat Hemi V8, making 707 hp. While that’s impressive, the AJAC performance testers found the car a handful to launch and were not able to re-create Dodge’s claim of a low-three second zero to 100 time. The best our pros could extract was 5.2 seconds.

Still, the Challenger is a notable new car. Entertaining to drive in a loud, brash way, it handles really well for a big vehicle and is absolutely loaded with tech to boost and control those 700-plus horses.

The Challenger is the quintessential musclemobile, intended to leave no doubt in onlookers’ minds about the owner’s manhood.

Up against these two, the BMW M235i has finesse, proper sports-car looks and price in its favour. You can take it anywhere without need to apologize or demonstrate its abilities. But everyone will understand when give in to temptation and show it off anyway.

BMW M235i
Base price: $45,000
As tested: $46,500

The M235i holds the road as much as it captures your attention. Driving this car is bound to delight just about anyone who enjoys piloting a fast car safely to its limits. This car’s manual transmission, intelligent handling setup and powerful engine all work in harmony to deliver a unique experience.

WE LIKE
Power-controlled precisely, by the driver, not the car
Quality, from materials to design to running gear
Adaptive suspension allows fine-tuning the handling to your own preferences.

Engine: 3.0-L turbocharged I6
Power/torque: 320 hp, 332 lb.-ft.
Fuel consumption L/100 km: 11.9 city, 8.5 hwy.

What’s best: The power, the control and quality
What’s worst: BMW seems averse to colour, upcharging for anything but white
Value for Money: 9.5/10; a rare bargain at under $50,000

VOLVO V60 POLESTAR
Base price: $66,895
As tested: $66,895

Unconventional looks belie the power beneath; the Polestar is without doubt a real sports car. Performance from this wagon is equal to many a muscle car, and handling is sure-footed like a tight European coupe. But the Polestar will also let to ferry the kids around safely and run errands in stealthy style.

WE LIKE
Zero to 100 km/h in 5.3 seconds
The interior is understated, elegant and comfortable.
Volvo’s safety-first approach

Engine: 3.0-L turbocharged I6
Power/torque: 345 hp, 369 lb.-ft.
Fuel consumption L/100 km: 12.8 city, 8.9 hwy.

What’s best: Matching a Challenger from a standing start
What’s worst: Having to explain why your station wagon can pace their muscle car
Value for Money: 9/10; the Polestar is fun to drive, and can match any mood, from calm to crazy.

DODGE CHALLENGER
Base price: $63,995
As tested: $67,590
The ultimate car for the power-hungry.

WE LIKE
They still put a manual transmission in a car this powerful.
In spite of all that power, it’s still possible to drive it in a sedate and reasonable manner.
The nod to moderation with the second key fob that restricts power to 500 hp

Engine: 6.2-L supercharged V8
Power/torque: 707 hp, 650 lb.-ft.
Fuel consumption L/100 km: 18.1 city, 11.4 hwy.

What’s best: The outrageous sounds it can make
What’s worst: Rough, noisy ride
Value for money: 8/10; not versatile, but it has a niche

Maybe I’m a sucker for unusual characters, but the Volvo V60 Polestar really took my breath away.

If this car were designed to look like a standard issue sports coupe it would still be a standout in speed, acceleration, handling and safety features. But as a five-door wagon, with spacious rear seats and cargo capacity, it is almost unique.
It’s appealing because only a select few will know it can match a Hellcat-powered Challenger, for example, off the line. And that Challenger driver isn’t likely to be one of them.

For my money, the stealth option has distinct appeal."
-----------------
For me, the Polestar and Challenger weren't even in the running against the M235, but interesting to see what vehicles other people would stack it up against (or cross-shop it with). But a mid-size wagon (albeit powerful) and a bloated muscle car?