THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Weird Auto Stop/Start Issue?

07-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80x M3C

Garage List
Weird Auto Stop/Start Issue?

So a few days back, I parked my car at the parking lot of my work at around 10 AM. I locked the doors by touching the confort access ridge on the driver-side door and went by my day. At around 2 PM, the security stopped by my office and asked if the white M235i was mine. When I confirmed, he said that it was on. "The headlights?" I asked. "No, it's on, as the engine is on and the music is playing pretty loudly."

Pretty surprised, I grabbed my keys and walked over to the parking lot. The car was on, locked, and music blaring pretty loud. I unlocked it to find the A/C on as well. I was quite puzzled for a bit and recollected the event of me walking out of the car that morning. This is the only plausible explanation I could come up with:

I was on the phone (via Bluetooth) when I parked. The A/C was on (low setting). When I parked the car, the engine must have auto-shut-off. Then I hit the P button on the shifter so it never restarted when I took my foot off the pedal. I talked on the phone for 2 more minutes, and walked out, locked the door and went off. Since I was on the phone for a bit while the car was auto-off, I probably never pressed the "Engine Start/Off" button to "actually" turn it off. After a few more minutes, the A/C must have drained enough power forcing the car to start again.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? If my scenario is true, should BMW not have a built-in feature that does not let the car restart if the key fob is NOT present in the car? Or if the car got locked from outside, it should fully shut off everything, should it not?

The only situation for which they may have deliberately let this pass could be if the driver pulls up to a store on a hot day, walks out, while the passenger stays in the car -- the key fob is gone with the driver, but the passenger may still in A/C, music, etc. But if someone actually LOCKS the door from outside, it should still shut everything off!

But seems to me that it is pretty easy to forget to actually hit the Engine off button when the car has auto shut off. That could unintentionally get the car running by itself for hours -- or could have been worse, days!

Any thoughts on this? Can anyone try to replicate this and confirm?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

My car has turned itself off when I leave with the key in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Alpine White

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Mine turns off if I get out during auto stop and lock it via the touching the door.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

I find this "feature" very useful to leave my dog in the car for errands with the car locked and the AC on
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #5
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavized View Post
So a few days back, I parked my car at the parking lot of my work at around 10 AM. I locked the doors by touching the confort access ridge on the driver-side door and went by my day. At around 2 PM, the security stopped by my office and asked if the white M235i was mine. When I confirmed, he said that it was on. "The headlights?" I asked. "No, it's on, as the engine is on and the music is playing pretty loudly."

Pretty surprised, I grabbed my keys and walked over to the parking lot. The car was on, locked, and music blaring pretty loud. I unlocked it to find the A/C on as well. I was quite puzzled for a bit and recollected the event of me walking out of the car that morning. This is the only plausible explanation I could come up with:

I was on the phone (via Bluetooth) when I parked. The A/C was on (low setting). When I parked the car, the engine must have auto-shut-off. Then I hit the P button on the shifter so it never restarted when I took my foot off the pedal. I talked on the phone for 2 more minutes, and walked out, locked the door and went off. Since I was on the phone for a bit while the car was auto-off, I probably never pressed the "Engine Start/Off" button to "actually" turn it off. After a few more minutes, the A/C must have drained enough power forcing the car to start again.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? If my scenario is true, should BMW not have a built-in feature that does not let the car restart if the key fob is NOT present in the car? Or if the car got locked from outside, it should fully shut off everything, should it not?

The only situation for which they may have deliberately let this pass could be if the driver pulls up to a store on a hot day, walks out, while the passenger stays in the car -- the key fob is gone with the driver, but the passenger may still in A/C, music, etc. But if someone actually LOCKS the door from outside, it should still shut everything off!

But seems to me that it is pretty easy to forget to actually hit the Engine off button when the car has auto shut off. That could unintentionally get the car running by itself for hours -- or could have been worse, days!

I don't think AC runs when your car is off...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
I don't think AC runs when your car is off...
Auto-stop, it does.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Yup, this takes some getting used to. Have to hit the "stop" button once to toggle off the motor and then either a 2nd time to shut down OR use the remote to lock it and shut it down.

I've heard of other drivers being stopped and *forgetting* they were in auto start/stop. Motor's not running and as they get out of the car and lift their foot off the brake, the car starts up and starts to pull away. Can be very dangerous.

I almost had this happen to me a few year's ago when I had a Prius. Those things are very quiet and you could sometimes forget they were ON. Almost had a "chasing the car down the street" with that one.

:-)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I've had to adopt some new habits when parking and leaving this car. This is my first "keyless" machine and I must say that I like being able to just walk up to the car, unlock it, start the engine and go, all with the "key" in my pocket.

But as I mentioned, this comes with developing some new habits. When parking, I first push the "P" button and then visually confirm that the car is, indeed, in Park. Next, I firmly apply the parking brake. After that, foot off brake pedal and then push the start/stop button while observing the tachometer, then one more time to turn off everything - confirmed by observing the dark LCD display.

We're definitely not in Kansas anymore.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
jeffclev
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i, 2018 X5

I had the same thing happen when shopping, so it was only on a few minutes. This was early on. I have developed the habit of hitting the stop button twice when getting out. I have not had a repeat event, so I assumed I accidentally left the ignition on, but in the auto stop state and eventually it turned itself back on.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
Auto-stop, it does.
If the engine isn't running, the compressor does not work. The fan blows but no artificially cooled air.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
My experience with auto stop-start... come to a stop in a parking lot. Press the park button. Auto stop turns the engine off. If I leave the car then it automatically goes into 'ignition off' mode. That is, if I want to drive away again then I have to step on the brake and press the on/off button.

It's possible that if you only get out of the seat but then press the lock ridge without leaving the area of the car it might not do ignition off. I haven't tried it. I will try it some time.

This behavior is on my 650i. It has different software, so YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
If the engine isn't running, the compressor does not work. The fan blows but no artificially cooled air.
Right. The ac fan is running. The temp drops below acceptable levels or the battery can't support it and the car starts back up.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:42 AM   #13
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i MW/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavized

your scenario is totally valid and totally within this start/stop functionality. except it did not turn on due to power loss, it turned on due to inside temperature rising and climate control system initiated force engine start to keep the air temp down.

regarding shutting down the car when the key not present - this is wrong. i let the car run when i leave for 3-5 minutes to grocery store for example, to keep ac running. someone may want to warm up the engine in winter not having to stay inside of a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:44 AM   #14
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i MW/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
Right. The ac fan is running. The temp drops below acceptable levels or the battery can't support it and the car starts back up.
AC unit does not run on battery power at any time, ever. it requires running engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 04:36 AM   #15
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
There is no such thing as an AC fan... it is just a fan. Same fan, for when you use heat, or just blowing air. AC is a compressor, that needs the engine to be running, to produce cold air. I don't see how the OP sat in his car with the AC on... with the engine off. His story sounds confusing to me.

The STOP/Start button is how you turn the car on/off, not by locking the door.

I myself would completely disable the auto STOP/Start feature, it's just a gimmick anyways.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-Miami View Post
AC unit does not run on battery power at any time, ever. it requires running engine.
That's what I said
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
MaximumG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i EBII May '14 ED

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
I've heard of other drivers being stopped and *forgetting* they were in auto start/stop. Motor's not running and as they get out of the car and lift their foot off the brake, the car starts up and starts to pull away. Can be very dangerous.
According to the 2-series manual:

Safety mode

After the engine switches off automatically, it will not start again automatically if any one of the following conditions are met.
▷ The driver's safety belt is unbuckled and the driver's door is open.
▷ The hood was unlocked.

Hopefully what you're describing wasn't on BMW's. According to the manual, it shouldn't happen. If it does happen, please let us and BMW NA know ASAP. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #18
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Is it safe to assume there's no auto stop feature in cars with equipped with a 6SPD manual?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #19
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

6 speed manual has it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #20
m1cism
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

The A/C system will not produce cold air when the engine is off. However, the fan will run off the battery power when using Auto Start/Stop and push any residual air in the A/C system into the cabin. That's part of the feature. That being said, the car will start up again as OP suggested when the battery drains or the cabin gets too hot, etc..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #21
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post

I myself would completely disable the auto STOP/Start feature, it's just a gimmick anyways.

I disabled the "Auto Stop/Start" feature. I also disabled the "coast" feature in the ECO PRO mode menu. I do not like either one of them.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:48 PM   #22
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavized View Post

In auto stop/start mode my MT M235i shuts off totally when I open the door. I can leave it running while it is not in start:stop mode, I can then open the door then use CA to lock the doors. The car keeps running AC and all.
Appreciate 0