THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Where exhaust part experiences the most drone?

03-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Where exhaust part experiences the most drone?

I'm looking into getting an exhaust, but I'm getting to a stage where I want good exhaust sound, but don't want any drone at all.

Is it from the catless DP? removing mid resonators? rear resonators?

Which combination have you guys done which has experienced drone, and which combination don't.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
YYZF22N55
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525
I'm looking into getting an exhaust, but I'm getting to a stage where I want good exhaust sound, but don't want any drone at all.

Which combination have you guys done which has experienced drone, and which combination don't.
I have ER catless DP installed. Not much drone over stock at highway speeds but you can definitely hear the difference when you WoT.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZF22N55 View Post
I have ER catless DP installed. Not much drone over stock at highway speeds but you can definitely hear the difference when you WoT.
Is this with the stock rear muffler?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

I have ER catless dp with resonator deleted. No drone, sounds good on the outside
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
YYZF22N55
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZF22N55 View Post
Is this with the stock rear muffler?
Yeah, stock muffler.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
Milkee_0923
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0t View Post
I have ER catless dp with resonator deleted. No drone, sounds good on the outside
Do you have a video of that setup? I may go the same route or m performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #7
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkee_0923
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0t View Post
Do you have a video of that setup? I may go the same route or m performance exhaust.
I don't, unfortunately. But there's a thread on the F30 forums with videos of N55 w/ er catless dp and resonator delete. Check it out
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 10:00 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post

Good catless DP like the Evolution Racewerks will not add any significant drone. Same for the exhaust. Get a highly reviewed exhaust and you will not have any problems with droning ( Remus , GTHaus).

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:33 AM   #9
den525
Captain
Rep

So which part of the exhaust most commonly create drone within the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Josh/AWE
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

No drone? Have you heard our Touring Edition Exhaust System? It's easy to make a free flowing exhaust system, but it takes a lot of work to encourage power while controlling the tone. Our 180 Technology™ equipped resonators are designed to eliminate drone while achieving maximum power gains and an overall sophisticated sound. It's a science to eliminate drone without neutering the pleasing spectrum of an exhaust roar. How do we do it?

We document the sound and exhaust temperature of the vehicle.
We do a detailed spectrum analysis to identify undesirable frequencies.
We run that data through our proprietary differential calculus equations to determine the volume and shapes of our 180 Technology resonator internals.
By this point we have laser scanned the underneath of the vehicle so we can CAD model the resonator package to fit on the vehicle.
We optimize the routing for our .065" thick 304 stainless steel exhaust, maximize the power output while ensuring the sound quality remains intact, dial in the tip aesthetics, and hone in on crafting an exotic and exciting tone at full throttle while combating all signs of droning.
After plenty of dyno and street testing, we are confident to release a system we can stand behind.

Adding a catless downpipe will increase overall volume as you are removing a great restriction in the system. Starting with an axleback designed to eliminate drone is your best bet to end up with an overall tone you can live with.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:40 AM   #11
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525
So which part of the exhaust most commonly create drone within the cabin?
To answer your question....I believe it's lack of a resonator that causes the most drone.

But obviously removal of other components can add to the issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #12
den525
Captain
Rep

This might be a very noob question... so from the "cat back" there's a mid pipe, from what I've heard the N55 is a straight pipe... So from my understanding that's not "too important"... and from my understanding the resonator for the m235i is in the connecting pipe between the mid pipe and the muffler, and the other resonator is in the muffler of course.

So at the moment I've ruled out doing the DP and tune for now...

Basically what I want from now is a slight increase in exhaust noise, love a bit of the growling and crackle and pop, but no drone on long journey.

Now the question is difference between cat-back and axel back... From the milltek website, it says the stock pipes are 80mm, which is 3.14inches in diameter which should be very "free flowing" already (most of my previous cars' aftermarket exhausts were 3" in diameter).

So is it necessary to change the midpipes to a sportier midpipe/connecting resonator? For what I want to achieve? As I don't really want a midpipe resonator delete.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 12:22 AM   #13
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
This might be a very noob question... so from the "cat back" there's a mid pipe, from what I've heard the N55 is a straight pipe... So from my understanding that's not "too important"... and from my understanding the resonator for the m235i is in the connecting pipe between the mid pipe and the muffler, and the other resonator is in the muffler of course.

So at the moment I've ruled out doing the DP and tune for now...

Basically what I want from now is a slight increase in exhaust noise, love a bit of the growling and crackle and pop, but no drone on long journey.

Now the question is difference between cat-back and axel back... From the milltek website, it says the stock pipes are 80mm, which is 3.14inches in diameter which should be very "free flowing" already (most of my previous cars' aftermarket exhausts were 3" in diameter).

So is it necessary to change the midpipes to a sportier midpipe/connecting resonator? For what I want to achieve? As I don't really want a midpipe resonator delete.
If you are looking for just a mild increase in sound then best is go for MPerf exhaust... nothing better
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #14
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2Comp

Anyone here know how the 'blurt flapping sound ' between changing gears exactly works?

Is it a valve opening and closing on gear change due to pressure changed or has it for more to do with excess feul being dumped being the cause ?

And does DP make it much louder with a more cracking sound...(like the M4?)
Appreciate 0