THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Let's talk M235i modifications...

12-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
thomps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Let's talk M235i modifications...

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey everyone,

This is one of my first posts here and I still haven't really felt the site out, so you'll have to excuse my faux pas if I'm going against some traditionalist grain with this thread.

But I'd like to start an open conversation for those who plan on modifying the M235i. What are you hoping to see available? What kind of timeline do you anticipate? What will you do first? How do you think the car will respond to modifications?

I'll start with a few items:

(1) Seems like everyone will be eagerly awaiting aftermarket diffuser options. I do like the M Performance one, but as others have mentioned, it could get pretty pricey, and I'd rather allocate that money to other options. I know the aftermarket provided several popular solutions for the 1 Series as well.

(2) Speaking of pricey, I'm assuming anyone planning on engine modifications will opt for the LSD to put the power down? This is part of the reason I'm not planning on MPerf aero parts, as I know I'll have to get the LSD in addition to the other options I'm considering. I'm used to powerful AWD cars, so I think the LSD will definitely improve my experience.

(3) How will the ZF8 auto transmission handle increased power? What are the boundaries for safe power levels? I know absolutely nothing about this transmission (wish it was the DCT), but unfortunately I won't be able to get the manual (car needs to be driven by multiple people and in stop & go environments).

(4) Wheels. I actually don't mind the stock gunmetal ones. But holy narrow wheels. I anticipate needing something wider. What's your dream wheel on the 2 Series?

Anything else? Let's speculate.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomps View Post
Hey everyone,

This is one of my first posts here and I still haven't really felt the site out, so you'll have to excuse my faux pas if I'm going against some traditionalist grain with this thread.

But I'd like to start an open conversation for those who plan on modifying the M235i. What are you hoping to see available? What kind of timeline do you anticipate? What will you do first? How do you think the car will respond to modifications?

I'll start with a few items:

(1) Seems like everyone will be eagerly awaiting aftermarket diffuser options. I do like the M Performance one, but as others have mentioned, it could get pretty pricey, and I'd rather allocate that money to other options. I know the aftermarket provided several popular solutions for the 1 Series as well.

(2) Speaking of pricey, I'm assuming anyone planning on engine modifications will opt for the LSD to put the power down? This is part of the reason I'm not planning on MPerf aero parts, as I know I'll have to get the LSD in addition to the other options I'm considering. I'm used to powerful AWD cars, so I think the LSD will definitely improve my experience.

(3) How will the ZF8 auto transmission handle increased power? What are the boundaries for safe power levels? I know absolutely nothing about this transmission (wish it was the DCT), but unfortunately I won't be able to get the manual (car needs to be driven by multiple people and in stop & go environments).

(4) Wheels. I actually don't mind the stock gunmetal ones. But holy narrow wheels. I anticipate needing something wider. What's your dream wheel on the 2 Series?

Anything else? Let's speculate.

Sure, while my budget for my next car is 50k (considering CLA45 AMG, Corvette, or cayman), but my heart is set on the M235i with little to no options.

For OEM, I probably only want to get the LSD. If I plan on getting any tunes in the near future, the LSD will be pretty much a necessity. I know many people who have many issues with the 135i since so much torque.

I plan on going aftermarket for most of my exterior items. Why? Price

I got my carbon fiber spoiler for 200 bucks from these forums (JBSPEED vendor). I would say it is 9/10 of the BMW performance one, for more then half the price.

I plan on carbon fiber front lip, mirrors, and diffuser. For diffuser, I will probably go something aftermarket that is more aggressive.

As for wheels, I like mine as well . But will probably get some OZ or Apex!

Not sure what the ZF8 is rated at. If we could get a model number then we could directly check it out on the ZF website.
      01-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
thomps
Private First Class
Rep

For those with more BMW experience- how long would you guess we're waiting for power mods to start becoming available?

Obviously we're still working with the N55, but I'm assuming some tweaks will be required for a lot of mods to be compatible with the M235i. I'm particularly interested in tunes like COBB Accessport, and exhaust components.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

The zf is only rated for 450nm torque so already on the limit without extra mods.

I'll get performance carbon spoiler, no LSD, lowering springs and new wheels

Last edited by M.barnes; 01-19-2014 at 03:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
thomps
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.barnes View Post
The zf is only rated for 440lb torque so already on the limit without extra mods.

This. Changes. Everything. Really wanted the ZF8 for the sake of practicality, but I'm used to more power, and I anticipate needing to modify the car to make it everything I want it to be. Was hoping to do so responsibly.

Might have to start discreetly teaching the woman to drive a manual. I can see it now. "Why? Oh, no reason, just a good skill to have..."
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
Bengaz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 125D

Quote:
The zf is only rated for 440lb torque so already on the limit without extra mods.

How come the m550d has 516lbft with the same gearbox (or is it different)?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 03:03 AM   #7
M.barnes
Captain
Rep

Not sure on that model.
There are at least 5 torque variations of the 'same' ZF 8 Speed though.

8HP30 - 300 Nm
8HP45 - 450 Nm - (M135i and I'm guessing 235)
8HP55 - 550 Nm
8HP70 - 700 Nm - (7 Series)
8HP90 - 900 Nm - (Rolls Royce)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 03:08 AM   #8
M.barnes
Captain
Rep

Maybe the 550 has 7 series box?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
thomps
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Not sure on that model.
There are at least 5 torque variations of the 'same' ZF 8 Speed though.

8HP30 - 300 Nm
8HP45 - 450 Nm - (M135i and I'm guessing 235)
8HP55 - 550 Nm
8HP70 - 700 Nm - (7 Series)
8HP90 - 900 Nm - (Rolls Royce)
You're probably right given that there's not much reason for them to switch to a different model from the 135 to the 235. But I still wonder how much cushion is factored into those torque ratings. Obviously, I don't want to find out by trial and error on my own car, but I have a hard time believing they'd use a transmission that is truly pushed to the brink of its capabilities by the car in stock form.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
M.barnes
Captain
Rep

That was my thinking too. I reckon there's more in it, but don't fancy trying myself!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
unintelligible
Computer Janitor
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 328i

It's the 45 version, per ETK.

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...SA/24/24_1132/
      01-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.barnes
Maybe the 550 has 7 series box?
Certainly better than that. The current 335d approaches 700nm
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
Da_Meister_22
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & F85 X5M

Garage List
Can't wait til we get our first M235i in the shop.

AW F10 ///M5
AW F85 X5///M
BootMode3 STG 2///Project-Gamma Intakes///ActiveAutowerke DPs///Maxton-Design Body Kit
@MeisterAutosport @RatedMClub @RatedMRally
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomps View Post
For those with more BMW experience- how long would you guess we're waiting for power mods to start becoming available?

Obviously we're still working with the N55, but I'm assuming some tweaks will be required for a lot of mods to be compatible with the M235i. I'm particularly interested in tunes like COBB Accessport, and exhaust components.
I won't be interested in performance mods until the warranty expires. But by the time that warranty expjres, I'll be in a new vehicle already.

if I do do any mods, it will only be M-Performance parts, again, warranty.
Appreciate 0