THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Any way of making n26 sound less dull?

07-22-2023, 10:40 AM   #1
tee228
Rep
Drives: f22 228i

Garage List
2016 F22 228i  [0.00]
Any way of making n26 sound less dull?

I was surfing through the previous threads here but can’t really find any solid answers for this (also relatively new to the forum):

Are there any exhaust set ups for an f22 n26? The very few options I found are ridiculously expensive and have no reviews on them. Would love some recommendations on this. Currently running a bm3 stage 1, new plugs and charge pipe. Anything else I should add to make the car sound better and less dull?
Thanks y’all!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 11:57 AM   #2
GoldfishRT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

In general I don't think the N20 is a good sounding motor. I purchased an Active Autowerke axle-back just to get a bit more volume out of it since I disabled the synthetic engine noise in the cabin.
      07-22-2023, 12:12 PM   #3
tee228
Rep

Garage List
2016 F22 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishRT View Post
In general I don't think the N20 is a good sounding motor. I purchased an Active Autowerke axle-back just to get a bit more volume out of it since I disabled the synthetic engine noise in the cabin.
How do you like the sound now with that? Thought about a muffler delete but don’t want to sound too overbearing or like a trumpet
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 10:21 PM   #4
GoldfishRT
Private First Class
Rep

I'll let you know when I install it. Just got the car back from the shop. Will try and get it on this weekend in time for autox.
      07-30-2023, 10:17 AM   #5
tee228
Rep

Garage List
2016 F22 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'll let you know when I install it. Just got the car back from the shop. Will try and get it on this weekend in time for autox.
Sweet, I’m really looking AA right now so any feedback would be great!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 07:01 PM   #6
GoldfishRT
Private First Class
Rep

Well I ended up catching a nasty bug but I did my best to get it installed today and I had a hell of a time with the fitment. After finally wrestling the system I wasn't able to get the exhaust clamps slipped on properly - the ones it came with seem very slightly undersized. But I moved it from the driveway and in that 20 or so feet I was pretty happy. Slightly quieter than expecting already even with the open connections. Unfortunately it will have to sit for another week until I can get to it again.
      07-30-2023, 08:26 PM   #7
tee228
Rep

Garage List
2016 F22 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well I ended up catching a nasty bug but I did my best to get it installed today and I had a hell of a time with the fitment. After finally wrestling the system I wasn't able to get the exhaust clamps slipped on properly - the ones it came with seem very slightly undersized. But I moved it from the driveway and in that 20 or so feet I was pretty happy. Slightly quieter than expecting already even with the open connections. Unfortunately it will have to sit for another week until I can get to it again.
ah sad to hear. The installation was difficult? I dont have a ton of space/time so I am wondering if it is worth just taking to a shop to get it done
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 07:34 AM   #8
GoldfishRT
Private First Class
Rep

Installation should not be difficult and only take an hour or so but, I struggled for the following reasons:

1. Sick - Don't do this while sick lol.

2. The exhaust cutter I rented from AutoZone had several dull rollers causing the top of the original exhaust to not be cut through. I lost an hour to trying to cut the final bit of the og exhaust.

3. The orientation of the hanger adapters Active includes are not noted so it took trial and error to get them in (what I hope) is the correct orientation. Either way if you choose this exhaust, pins face INWARD to the car.

4. The exhaust clamps included with mine are simply undersized. I have to decide what to do from this point. I'm hoping AutoZone might have slightly larger ones.

Edit: I did not notice, as I was installing, that the instructions included via QR code were for the 328. This resulted in me cutting an additional 2.5" off the exhaust more than necessary. This is an easy mistake to make and I highly recommend paying very careful attention to this. This is why I was thinking the fitment is poor. I'm livid over this.

Last edited by GoldfishRT; 07-31-2023 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 10:51 AM   #9
tee228
Rep

Garage List
2016 F22 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Installation should not be difficult and only take an hour or so but, I struggled for the following reasons:

1. Sick - Don't do this while sick lol.

2. The exhaust cutter I rented from AutoZone had several dull rollers causing the top of the original exhaust to not be cut through. I lost an hour to trying to cut the final bit of the og exhaust.

3. The orientation of the hanger adapters Active includes are not noted so it took trial and error to get them in (what I hope) is the correct orientation. Either way if you choose this exhaust, pins face INWARD to the car.

4. The exhaust clamps included with mine are simply undersized. I have to decide what to do from this point. I'm hoping AutoZone might have slightly larger ones.

Edit: I did not notice, as I was installing, that the instructions included via QR code were for the 328. This resulted in me cutting an additional 2.5" off the exhaust more than necessary. This is an easy mistake to make and I highly recommend paying very careful attention to this. This is why I was thinking the fitment is poor. I'm livid over this.
Wow, got it. I hope you get that situated then! Keep posted on how it sounds and feels afterwards!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 08:37 AM   #10
GoldfishRT
Private First Class
Rep

Final(?) update.

After going back and forth with AA and ECS they agreed to let me return the AA exhaust.

I hadn't driven the car for a week so I decided to put a couple miles on it and other than a gnarly rattle problem from having a pipe just hanging out the back, I think I might actually recommend you just do a muffler delete.

It's going to be far cheaper and it's honestly not as loud as I was expecting and much quieter than any muffler delete I've heard thus far on other cars. I would find it too loud on a daily but on a weekend car it's lovely. This genuinely sounds better than any of the exhaust options I've heard as well. You could also probably stick on some resonated tips and cut down the volume just a bit.

I spent a lot of time staring at the M Performance Exhaust for the 328, thinking about dumping further money into the problem. However for the moment, I think I am going to have the stock exhaust welded back on and re-enable my ASD and see if that provides enough satisfaction. If not, I might explore just deleting the front resonator. I don't think I can stomach $1300 for a muffler.
      08-08-2023, 09:23 PM   #11
tee228
Rep

Garage List
2016 F22 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Final(?) update.

After going back and forth with AA and ECS they agreed to let me return the AA exhaust.

I hadn't driven the car for a week so I decided to put a couple miles on it and other than a gnarly rattle problem from having a pipe just hanging out the back, I think I might actually recommend you just do a muffler delete.

It's going to be far cheaper and it's honestly not as loud as I was expecting and much quieter than any muffler delete I've heard thus far on other cars. I would find it too loud on a daily but on a weekend car it's lovely. This genuinely sounds better than any of the exhaust options I've heard as well. You could also probably stick on some resonated tips and cut down the volume just a bit.

I spent a lot of time staring at the M Performance Exhaust for the 328, thinking about dumping further money into the problem. However for the moment, I think I am going to have the stock exhaust welded back on and re-enable my ASD and see if that provides enough satisfaction. If not, I might explore just deleting the front resonator. I don't think I can stomach $1300 for a muffler.

Funny you say this… went to a local exhaust shop and they said they’d run me about 700 for a muffler delete which I thought was absurd. Had a buddy who had a muffler delete and it sounds great so I might go with that. Even thought of doing the m rear bumper swap just to get the diffuser for dual exit exhaust but that’s a huge blow to the bank account haha
Appreciate 0