THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum My dealer ordered me run flats.

04-13-2014, 01:16 AM   #67
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Are you sure those are runflats? They are summer tires for sure.

They look like Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position (summer non-runflats):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....i&autoModClar=

Please correct me if I'm wrong!
it says RFT on the tire. And I have the option runflat on the car sticker.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #68
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

Quote:
Isn't saying PSS is better than runflats also a personal opinion?
I was referring to speed, so no in that context it is just a fact.

Quote:
Also, you do know that there is such a thing as PSS runflat, right? Where would that fall on your scale of which is better, runflats or PSS?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Super+Sport+ZP

Not everyone lives in Oakland. What's better for you doesn't necessarily make it better for someone else.
Wow, not everyone lives in Oakland?

Seriously though I tried to refer to "practicality" in regards what works better for someone else, which includes the conditions in their location

Quote:
The comparison shouldn't be so much is it runflat or is it PSS but rather whether all seasons or summer tires are the most suitable, since there was no option for a summer runflat or an all season non-runflat. PSS is great, except in any kind of winter weather (as is any other summer tire, zp or not). I have done about 60k on PSS in my car (and about 40k on runflats). I regret having the PSS every time I hit the road in the winter when the weather is bad or if there's a chance of snow and would trade anything for a set of all seasons, runflats or not. When summer rolls around, I'm happy with the PSS.

Maybe getting a sidewall puncture in a shiny new car in one of the shady parts of Oakland late at night would make you wish you had gotten runflats instead of having to sit there and wait an hour for roadside assistance.
Sure, just the PSS is faster, that's all I was saying. RFT are more practical, I tried to note that.

Quote:
And yes, I did order PSS summer tires on mine. And yes, I will regret it every winter. But your response was a little on the condescending side. If everybody hated rft's, they would have done away with them years ago after their first go round. Possibly the majority of people who buy there cars don't obsess over these things.
I don't think its condescending. The guy I was replying to was painting people that don't like RFTs as people involved in some kind of hysteria. This is what he said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino
I find the anti-RFT bias embedded in some of the posts to border on hysteria.
I really disagree with that statement. Get a RFT if you like, but don't diss others choice as "hysteria"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspensilver View Post
Gotta disagree, the new PSS really are that much better. Just admit that to yourself, and be OK with the fact that perhaps the RFT are a more practical option for you.
my point is that it's possible the PSS are "that much better", but that does not mean the RFT's are "terrible".
I don't think they are terrible but I would be really disappointed.

Quote:
maybe some audiophile could tell the difference between the nuances of both brands. maybe one set was a 99 out of 100, but they made it seem like brand 2 was 50 out of 100 when it was more like a 90.

my point is this - only the "iles" can tell the difference between a 95 wine and 99 wine, a 90 steak and a 98 steak. what I'm trying to figure out is that if your PSS tires are a 100, what are the RFTs?

they felt great to me during three test drives. but I may not be able to detect the nuances...
Well, this is a car forum so you will get gearhead opinions like you'll get audiophile opinions on an audio forum.

My point was more that preferring PSS non-run flat was nothing to do with hysteria, just some really nice tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #69
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
I was referring to speed, so no in that context it is just a fact.
You never mentioned speed until now. For that, I would agree with you.

I think the person you were responding to had gotten a 228i. Does the 228i even come with PSS as an option? It doesn't seem like it. From what I have seen, it's only the 235.

Quote:
My point was more that preferring PSS non-run flat was nothing to do with hysteria, just some really nice tires.
Not to say that you did that, but it is true that some people do talk about them in that way as if they are worst thing ever, which comes across as hysteria. This doesn't apply to those who are just providing normal opinions.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #70
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyinko View Post
it says RFT on the tire. And I have the option runflat on the car sticker.
Now that's weird, you seem to have gotten an option that isn't available from the factory. Are your tires staggered sized or the same all the way around? Perhaps your dealer just install those?

The RFT tires from the factory should be all season Continentals from everything I've seen and read.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #71
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

that's why I was asking for the brand of the RFT on the 228 so I could check out the technical reviews and see how they rated

I haven't seen anything on this thread that offers that type of detail, just that PSS was better. I understand the difference between A/S and summer, but specifically wanted to know how the RFT rate on an absolute basis, not a relative basis.

Well, this is a car forum so you will get gearhead opinions like you'll get audiophile opinions on an audio forum.

My point was more that preferring PSS non-run flat was nothing to do with hysteria, just some really nice tires.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #72
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post
Now that's weird, you seem to have gotten an option that isn't available from the factory. Are your tires staggered sized or the same all the way around? Perhaps your dealer just install those?

The RFT tires from the factory should be all season Continentals from everything I've seen and read.

It's confirmed. I have the Bridgestone Potenza S001.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....tenza+S001+RFT

They are summer tires.
At the front: 225/40 R18
At the back: 245/35 R18

I don't know if the dealer installed them. Why would they? They got the car on a saturday morning and they delivered it to me the same day.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #73
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyinko
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post

They are summer tires.

I don't know if the dealer installed them. Why would they? They got the car on a saturday morning and they delivered it to me the same day.
That sucks, if i go summer then i want PSS non-rft
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #74
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyinko View Post

They are summer tires.

That's weird, those are the right size for Summers though. Perhaps the factory ran out of the Michelin's and substituted? One thing for sure, your car is one of a kind right now!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #75
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

Quote:
You never mentioned speed until now. For that, I would agree with you.
I thought it was clearly implied by saying they were better but the RFT were more practical.

Quote:
I think the person you were responding to had gotten a 228i. Does the 228i even come with PSS as an option? It doesn't seem like it. From what I have seen, it's only the 235.
No the 228 doesn't, but he can still comment on PSS tires, which he did. He downplayed the advantages of PSS and complained about hysteria which I saw none of in the thread.

Quote:
Not to say that you did that, but it is true that some people do talk about them in that way as if they are worst thing ever, which comes across as hysteria. This doesn't apply to those who are just providing normal opinions.
I didn't see that in this thread
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #76
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
I thought it was clearly implied by saying they were better but the RFT were more practical.
Possibly was clear to you but speed is only one small part of what makes a tire "better". There are other factors such as road noise, dry handling, wet handling, etc. It wasn't clear to me that this was about speed.

Quote:
I didn't see that in this thread
Nowhere was it mentioned that this happened in this thread. Again, I'm pro PSS and it would take a lot for me to get run-flats again (I have run many many miles on both types), but I do see what he was talking about that could come off as hysteria.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #77
SuitedUp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport

Hysteria might be the wrong word imo. But agreed, it's not about this thread in particular.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #78
MTP335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

So, I just called BMW Genius, and they said all M235i are limited at 155 regardless of Tires. He did also say that the RF tires are heavier so there maybe some lag, but nothing from the engine being governed at 130.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #79
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedUp View Post
Hysteria might be the wrong word imo. But agreed, it's not about this thread in particular.
agreed. my comment was in regard to select posts on this thread and others in regard to RFT.
Appreciate 0