THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Water meth - Cooling or strictly for power?

04-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Water meth - Cooling or strictly for power?

Whats everyone opinion on this. Is it better to spray into the charge pipe before the inter-cooler for cooling benefits or what about a set up like Fuel-It's Port water meth injection system.
Im strictly speaking from someones point of view that doesn't have access to E85 at the pump.

can you still use the BMS Meth kit with a BM3 tune? or would i need to buy a JB4 just to run it?
I guess both are for cooling..kinda a poor Thread title..my bad

Last edited by Taunto; 04-08-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

I got mine primarily for cooling, and use injection on the charge pipe. With the F23 I can't install a bit FMIC, and it gets pretty warm in Socal. One thing I like about the BMS / JB4 is that I can increase the boost target if meth is flowing. My understanding with the port injection is that it gives more even distribution but is only really needed with stage 2 turbo type setups which I don't have.

The BMS WMI kit needs the JB4 as a controller. The FSB that is included with the BMS meth kit is only the interface to the JB4.
Taunto281.50
      04-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

So it seems like if i go with the BMS kit i need to run a JB4 with it... or go with another kit like Snow performance or Aqua mist im guessing then.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
So it seems like if i go with the BMS kit i need to run a JB4 with it... or go with another kit like Snow performance or Aqua mist im guessing then.
You do want a tune to coincide with running meth, and the BMS stuff works really well. Their kit integrates with the JB4, you get full control, boost by gear features, boost controller, data logger, etc. The phone app is stupid easy to use, it's awesome. I do plan on flashing my car eventually, but I'll still use the JB4 as a boost/meth controller after that. The meth map on the JB4 is an auto-tune map, once you input your values, it's really easy to get working well.

I use it mostly for cooling, but it's noticeably much stronger on meth than not, I run ethanol free 94 as well. I use the cheap blue washer fluid, it's basically 49% meth, 51% water, and some die, works great, and cheap. Been using it for years in all of my turbo cars, never let me down. You'll also notice the car will burn much cleaner, no more soot on the tips, etc..
      04-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
Whats everyone opinion on this. Is it better to spray into the charge pipe before the inter-cooler for cooling benefits or what about a set up like Fuel-It's Port water meth injection system.
Im strictly speaking from someones point of view that doesn't have access to E85 at the pump.

can you still use the BMS Meth kit with a BM3 tune? or would i need to buy a JB4 just to run it?
I guess both are for cooling..kinda a poor Thread title..my bad
Methanol can be sprayed pre intercooler or post intercooler.

Most go post intercooler in the charge pipe.

The BMS meth kit can be used but without a JB4 you'll have to switch to a Hobb's switch.

At that point if you don't want to use JB4 to control methanol you mine as well buy a lesser expensive kit IMO. Devils Own, AEM or Coolingmist. BTW BMS methanol kit is just a Coolingmist kit anyway. BMS just has other features and options depending.
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
Taunto281.50