THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Next mod options

12-02-2017, 01:02 PM   #23
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Yea ER and AA are great pieces. I went with VRSF DP, CP and race HD FMIC due to last years Black Friday, free shipping deals, etc. They have been working great, no issues whatsoever.

At the very least, I'd suggest the CP upgrade, it's not a bad install on its own, just difficult without a lift..
Yeah I did all my upgrades at differnt points in time. I basically would get whatever was the best deal at that point in time.

I did have a carted ER dp for a while, but it threw a cel so I figured I might as well go with a catless. I picked up the vrsf catless.

Despite being cheaper, I found that vrsf had better fitment. It also had the ceramic coating. Not sure that it does a whole lot, but it's still on there and shows no sign of rust. I'd be curious to see if the ceramic paint does anything for heat containment.

Don't get me wrong, they both fit well. I just found that vrsf was an easier to get leak free.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #24
Mr_JDM
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

Just about to order the FMIC and CP but still worry about the installation. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
I told my mate that I will drive the car as stock before pick up the car and now end up with these ... lolz
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #25
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_JDM View Post
Just about to order the FMIC and CP but still worry about the installation. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
I told my mate that I will drive the car as stock before pick up the car and now end up with these ... lolz
my car was supposed to stay stock as well.. $19k later...
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 3
Taunto281.50
      12-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #26
Mr_JDM
Rep

Hi Guys! Just wondering if I want to go the VRSF Intercooler Race version with ER CP for my m235i Auto RWD.
Will it fit well and work this way?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #27
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Hi Guys! Just wondering if I want to go the VRSF Intercooler Race version with ER CP for my m235i Auto RWD.
Will it fit well and work this way?
I've heard of slight differences in each of the vendor's tolerances. I'd suggest the VRSF CP to coincide with the FMIC, it's the same shit, just powdercoated black, appearing more OEM+ in the engine bay. Also has the bung for WMI if you plan on using that later..

GL
      12-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #28
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I am looking to have a Dinan Stage 1 tuner installed on my 2016 228ix. I have mild mods (Dinan exhaust and Turner CAI) I am just looking for a little more power and the tuner will probably be my last mod. I plan to keep this car for a long time. I only put 5-6 K on it a year. So would a Stage 1 tuner effect reliability long term. I know Dinan warrants the tuner for as long as my warranty is in effect but this car will be around long after the warranty expires. Also, what is the hp gain with this and will it really give me extra power. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #29
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
my car was supposed to stay stock as well.. $19k later...
This is kind of the problem with modding. I bought the car thinking I would never get any performance enhancing mods. Still, I got curious and reached out to Peter from Pure. We talked about the basics and shortly after I ended up buying a charge pipe, down pipe and JB4.

A big upgrade compared to stock, but I noticed that the DME was pulling timing pretty badly in warmer temperatures due to the lackluster stock FMIC. I decided an upgraded FMIC would be my next upgrade.

Along came Black Friday deals. Ordered an intercooler and figured I may as well upgrade the remaining piping. Ended up ordering ER's TiC kit and Pure's turbo inlet pipe. Well, if we're doing that I might as well get the upgraded diverter valve, so I ordered that too.

To get it all working together properly I will also be getting BM3.

Right now I'm also seriously considering Fuel-It's upgraded stage2 LPFP as well.

By the time stock turbo goes, I can get a stage 2 turbo, because I have all the supporting mods already lol

BMW modding = savings account terrorism.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #30
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
This is kind of the problem with modding. I bought the car thinking I would never get any performance enhancing mods. Still, I got curious and reached out to Peter from Pure. We talked about the basics and shortly after I ended up buying a charge pipe, down pipe and JB4.

A big upgrade compared to stock, but I noticed that the DME was pulling timing pretty badly in warmer temperatures due to the lackluster stock FMIC. I decided an upgraded FMIC would be my next upgrade.

Along came Black Friday deals. Ordered an intercooler and figured I may as well upgrade the remaining piping. Ended up ordering ER's TiC kit and Pure's turbo inlet pipe. Well, if we're doing that I might as well get the upgraded diverter valve, so I ordered that too.

Right now I'm also seriously considering Fuel-It's upgraded stage2 LPFP as well.

By the time stock turbo goes, I can get a stage 2 turbo, because I have all the supporting mods already lol

As my friends would say, since I go about things the same way you describe, "You're Full @$$ing it!"

...as opposed to going about things in a half-assed manner.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #31
Mr_JDM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Options for power and a rough idea of price for quality parts

Jb4 ewg harness for E30-E40 mix if you have ethanol availible (under $50 and easy install)
Water methanol injection ( $400 ish realatively easy install)
Flash tune ($600+ slightly more involved to remove ecu, there is a good guide though)
FMIC ($300-400+ easy install)
turbo upgrades ( $1000-7500 depending on kits)

Notes
Best bang for your buck is to get the ewg harness and use an ethanol mix (if available)
Next best bang for your buck is wmi injection
Apparently ecu times a night and day over jb4. That is my next upgrade
Fmic will usually not give you more power, just more consistent power. Some small gains may be seen but will likely not be felt
Turbo upgrades can get you a much higher power but come at higher cost and difficulty of install
If you do go with wmi injection the fmic becomes less critical as wmi offers great cooling (I have both)
If you do upgraded fmic get one appropriately sized for your driving and turbo. If you want to do a stage 2 turbo down the road, then maybe you want to buy a bigger fmic now, so you are not buying another one down the road.

Right now I am intake, dp, cp, fmic jb4 +ewg harness, wmi kit. My next step is to go with a flash tune. I wish I had gone that route earlier. I am going to stack it on top of jb4.
Have done the FMIC and CP for a while and the car is great. I then have installed the EWG Wire recently and have some issue. I contacted Terry and Steve from BMS but seem they are very busy so I need you guys help.
On Terry's thread reg the EWG installation is not really details for Newbie like me. I was confused and not sure which firmware is correct to me and the Setting ect... So I decided to go with "N55_FSERIES_OBDII_EWG_13.hex" and ended up with the code as attached + air intake was very hot. And I no longer can not access the JB4 via Steering Wheel I have to use the laptop via USB.
I have no problem with the Wire running, connector stuff ect ... Only the Firmware update and Setting. Now I dont know whether if I done the EWG correctly or not but the car feels stronger and smoother. Base on my mods how much power/PSI should I get approx?
Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #32
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOzodi View Post
As my friends would say, since I go about things the same way you describe, "You're Full @$$ing it!"

...as opposed to going about things in a half-assed manner.
Welcome to the Mod Bug guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #33
Mr_JDM
Rep

Hi everyone! My current mods for m235i F23 AT: JB4/map5, BMS intake, VRSF catless DP, CP, VRSF Race FMIC, EWG adapter.
I believe the car is under performance. It does increase the power a bit and sensitive acceleration but I did the logs and max boost only 11psi (what do you guy think how much boost do I expect to get?)
Another thing is sometimes the car got kind of Cut-off, I dont know how to explain. Especially when rpm about 6-7k. Its happen about 0.5sec. Is this about the Fuel/Flexfuel or something?
What are the possibility issue should I consider? And how do I check?
I hope to hear from you guys soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #34
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Quote:
Hi everyone! My current mods for m235i F23 AT: JB4/map5, BMS intake, VRSF catless DP, CP, VRSF Race FMIC, EWG adapter.
I believe the car is under performance. It does increase the power a bit and sensitive acceleration but I did the logs and max boost only 11psi (what do you guy think how much boost do I expect to get?)
Another thing is sometimes the car got kind of Cut-off, I dont know how to explain. Especially when rpm about 6-7k. Its happen about 0.5sec. Is this about the Fuel/Flexfuel or something?
What are the possibility issue should I consider? And how do I check?
I hope to hear from you guys soon.
Have you posted a log to n54tech? If you are only seeing a maximum of 11 PSI of boost ever something is wrong.
      04-07-2018, 03:49 AM   #35
Mr_JDM
Rep

I did but they keep asking me for the log. nothing help
May I know how much PSI should I get from the mods?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 05:18 AM   #36
Mr_JDM
Rep

maybe the installation of CP and FMIC pipe incorrectly cause loosing boost?

Last edited by Mr_JDM; 04-07-2018 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #37
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

IIRC JB4 map 1 and 2 are additive about 4 and 6 PSI respectively. Stock map is about 9, so 13-15. Map 5 adapts. Been a while since is used map 5 so I can't recall what I got.

The seal between the CP and FMIC is something to check, especially if you forgot to take the o ring from the stock pipe or didn't get it seated correctly.
      04-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #38
Mr_JDM
Rep

Thanks. Haven't got a chance to jack up the car yet but here my logs today.
That would be appreciated if you can take a quick look. Already posted on N54tech.
Attached Files
File Type: zip map5-4th to 5.csv.zip (3.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: zip map5-3rd to 4.csv.zip (2.6 KB, 90 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #39
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well I'm certainly not a JB4 expert, but it looks like your boost is just under target, but not by much. Timing seems a little poor. What kind of fuel are you using? Looks like you could use a bit more octane. Also it looks like you have FF learning turned off. You should turn this on. Also you have FUD bit 2 set for alternate in dash controls. This should be cleared - i.e. set FUD to 0.

I would guess that this will fix your JB4 steering wheel controls and you will see the FF value start to increase as it might be low.