THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Weird issue causing CEL

04-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #1
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

History: I bought an AA8 piggyback from the board and installed it on my 2016 M235i. The module itself was super fun and definitely woke the car up. However, I noticed that around 2,500 rpm the module would cause a big boost in, well, boost or power. That would sometimes cause a CEL. I used torque to clear the CEL.

Today: I removed the module in January because I was taking the car in for routine maintenance. I've been too lazy to reinstall it. I previously had it listed, but I'm not going to sell it now. I think the module did something to my ECU. While driving around I still get the same weird boost in power around 2,500-3,000 rpm and then a CEL.

Idk what else it could be. Is there a way to reset the ECU without loosing all of the coding changes (Comfort access, euro lights, door unlocks, etc) I've made to the car?

This is not a knock on AA. The module itself was super fun. However, I'm questioning if I should have bought it used. I wonder if it was tuned for a previous model, like a 2014 ECU, and something didn't gel with my 2016. Anyway, if a reset isn't possible I'm hoping that an OBD tune can resolve this.

Anyone have a similar issue with a bump in power and then CEL?

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #2
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Just a quick update. The issue is gone now that I've done a BM3 DME flashing. Part of the flash process is to clear the learned adaptations in the car.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 1
amw896582.50