THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Water in M performance muffler?

02-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Water in M performance muffler?

I just took my muffler off to put on a Dinan muffler and it had a good bit of water sloshing around in it. Is that normal? I got most of it out but it freaks me out. Shouldn’t it have a weep hole in the muffler? On a side note I’m putting my m performance muffler back on because my wife doesn’t like the Dinan. So it will be in the for sale section Soon hahaha
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry675 View Post
I just took my muffler off to put on a Dinan muffler and it had a good bit of water sloshing around in it. Is that normal? I got most of it out but it freaks me out. Shouldn’t it have a weep hole in the muffler? On a side note I’m putting my m performance muffler back on because my wife doesn’t like the Dinan. So it will be in the for sale section Soon hahaha
Normal, I've had water in a lot of exhausts I've changed. The Dinan must be louder than the MPE huh? It's always good to keep the wife happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Normal, I've had water in a lot of exhausts I've changed. The Dinan must be louder than the MPE huh? It's always good to keep the wife happy.
Yeah it has a deep resonated sound.The Dinan was such a good deal I couldn’t pass it up. I think having that exhaust valve definitely makes a difference. She wouldn’t even drive my Evo x with HKS exhaust and test pipe because it was too loud. The compromise was no exhaust when I got this car. So like any normal man as soon as I got the car I immediately looked for the quietest exhaust I could find.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
Tcmcec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 Mineral Gray M235i

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah it has a deep resonated sound.The Dinan was such a good deal I couldnÂ’t pass it up. I think having that exhaust valve definitely makes a difference. She wouldnÂ’t even drive my Evo x with HKS exhaust and test pipe because it was too loud. The compromise was no exhaust when I got this car. So like any normal man as soon as I got the car I immediately looked for the quietest exhaust I could find.
You should install an exhaust cutout. I just finished installing mine and it is the best setup for sharing a car with your wife or not wanting to sound like you want to race everyone. Simple push a button and I have straight pipes, then push it again for factory exhaust. :
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah it has a deep resonated sound.The Dinan was such a good deal I couldn’t pass it up. I think having that exhaust valve definitely makes a difference. She wouldn’t even drive my Evo x with HKS exhaust and test pipe because it was too loud. The compromise was no exhaust when I got this car. So like any normal man as soon as I got the car I immediately looked for the quietest exhaust I could find.
Is the Dinan really that much louder?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Quote:
You mean "Abnormal Man"?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #7
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
You mean "Abnormal Man"?
Haha if it were only me driving it I would do a muffler delete. It’s funny loud exhausts I can handle but hearing my wife bitch....not so much. Lol
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #8
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09 View Post
No it’s not that much louder but it is pretty deep. It kind of drones when your in comfort mode on the highway at low rpm.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcmcec View Post
You should install an exhaust cutout. I just finished installing mine and it is the best setup for sharing a car with your wife or not wanting to sound like you want to race everyone. Simple push a button and I have straight pipes, then push it again for factory exhaust. :
Yeah I saw your post I’m excited to see what you did. just waiting on pics and video
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #10
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
You mean "Abnormal Man"?
Haha if it were only me driving it I would do a muffler delete. It’s funny loud exhausts I can handle but hearing my wife bitch....not so much. Lol
Just bustin ur taters... I'm married with two little ones... they don't ride much in the 2er
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #11
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No it’s not that much louder but it is pretty deep. It kind of drones when your in comfort mode on the highway at low rpm.
Thanks for the reply. M performance it is for me!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #12
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know I had the exhaust adjusted and the drone is gone. Turns out the pipe was tweaked and it was a vibration that seemed like drone. It’s actually not bad at all now. It’s definitely louder then the m performance but not by much and you barely hear it in the car with the windows up. My wife doesn’t mind it now. Hahaha. Just wanted to let you know so you didn’t make a decision based on my crappy install.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #13
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just wanted to let you know I had the exhaust adjusted and the drone is gone. Turns out the pipe was tweaked and it was a vibration that seemed like drone. ItÂ’s actually not bad at all now. ItÂ’s definitely louder then the m performance but not by much and you barely hear it in the car with the windows up. My wife doesnÂ’t mind it now. Hahaha. Just wanted to let you know so you didnÂ’t make a decision based on my crappy install.
Lol great! This makes my decision difficult once again. You should post a video
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #14
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
But then wouldn't want to louder exhaust to drown out the complaints?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #15
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol great! This makes my decision difficult once again. You should post a video
Here’s a video of all the different stages it’s been in. Unfortunately I didn’t have one of the mpe without the downpipe and I will post one of the Dinan with the downpipe once I get it back on.
https://youtu.be/05NvT-1W-WY
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
You need BMW's new M Performance passenger seat belt option...

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #17
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
You need BMW's new M Performance passenger seat belt option...

Appreciate 0