THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Moonroof delete?

11-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #23
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Wow, lots of great advice. I sure have a lot more information now, and several things I didn't even think of.

I will track the car, but only once a year or so. So that means a helmet, but I'm only 5'-7", and I've never had a headroom issue in a car. There is a moonroof-equipped M235i at a dealership 5 miles from me, so I should just bring my helmet and find out. If there's no headroom issue, then maybe it makes sense to go for it, since that seems to be the biggest concern.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #24
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
-IF headroom & helmets are going to be a factor, then delete.

-If you're going to race the car, then get it gone as well.

-If you're scouring a daily driver for that small of a weight reduction, then also look at losing any physical weight you're carrying around your midsection. You'll live longer and your car may be 1/2 second faster to the market. Also get rid of the rear seat, floor mats, all 12 speakers, the nav system, empty out all the crap in your trunk, buy lighter weight alloys, lighter exhaust, remove all door/panel insulation, etc. Or just buy a Lotus.

-If you also live in an area where it's impractical due to weather (Siberia, etc.), then delete.

Otherwise, few things (other than lowering a convertible roof) can change the personality of the driving experience as significantly and quickly, IMO. And a moonroof car handles much better, requires less maintenance and has more usable storage than a convertible.

Moonroof's are great for:
-Summer nights driving around through the mountains and seeing the stars.
-Spring time blasting through meadows in the foothills with the real sound of your exhaust coming through the roof.
-Autumn seeing the fall colors through the roof of the car as you blast down a country road.

I also gotta say that in the city, driving a lower car like the 2 series, it can sometimes come in handy as you look for addresses on tall buildings or try to make eye contact with an 18-wheeler that you're trying to pass.

As others have said, you can roll down the windows, but that can often be cold or too windy for the wife's hair. In autumn, I LOVE keeping the windows up, the seat heaters maxed, a gentle feet/face heat on, and the moonroof open on a balmy afternoon. You still feel connected to the outside, but can stay warm and toasty and less blown about.

FWIW…in 10 years with 5 different moonroof cars (Honda, Toyota, Lexus, BMW), I've never had any leaks, repairs, etc. I'm sure others have, but just not me yet (knock on wood).

Anyways, do what make sense for you. The die hards and track folks here are all going to say kill the moonroof. If that's your intention for the car, then do that. But if you like the experience of driving more open sometimes, then keep and enjoy it.

Good luck!
Well said! My sentiments exactly. I love CF but...............
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #25
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

If you like to use moonroof then there is really no debate.
Just get it and it doesn't cost more on a M235i.
The real debate is for those who don't use them and you have option to get one or delete it at no extra cost.
The only valid argument I see is resale argument and maybe having option to brigthen the interior.
I found using moonroof for venting interior and keeping interior cooler not as effective as having a car without moonroof and just leaving side windows slightly open.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #26
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
Like krhodes1, I had mine deleted for potential autocross helmet clearance. Plus, my last Audi had a sunroof - I think I used it 5 times in 5 years. In the meantime, it took up space, made detailing the roof much more difficult (waxes can stain the rubber surrounds), and controls occupied wasted space on the roof.

Some claim that deleting it may have an impact on resale, but that cannot be proven. Plus, drivers may want M235s later w/o moonroof for increased reliability, less weight, and less likelihood of any additional water/sun damage to the interior.

I don't regret my sunroof delete after sitting in the back of a 2 series with the moonroof. The interior roofline is much cleaner in my opinion.
Slicktops command a premium with enthusiasts. Check forum classifieds to see what I mean. Even if the majority prefer a moonroof, so few people opt for a slicktop that there is always demand.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #27
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

If you're worried about how much it's going to impact your resale value, it's probably trivial. BMW's are so option loaded that some guy is gonna be pissed you didn't buy the cold weather pack, or HK, or dynamic handling, let alone the moonroof.

If you can live without the moonroof, go for it.

Personally, I use mine all the time. I like being able to get some extra fresh air in the car, daylight on nice days, air out a fart without a ton of wind noise, or open everything up and pretend I have a convertible.

Heck, if I had money for an M4 Convertible I'd probably buy one. If you aren't taking the car to the track and you live someplace with nice weather it's a shame to not get some fresh air (unless you're bald and crotchety). The Corvette Targa roofs weren't a bad option either, but certainly a pain in the ass to pull off and on every time you wanted to cover up...not to mention the fact that the roof would get scalding hot in the summer and you'd burn yourself trying to take it off on a nice day without gloves in the trunk.

If you're very tall, and racing with a helmet on then sure, get rid of the thing. Lower CG, better handling, all that jazz.

But if you're daily driving it like the other 95% of people just keep it.
      11-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #28
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
Aren't those the benefits of deleting it ? Shouldn't you say "unless you are trying to make the car lighter, don't delete the moonroof"?
Yes, sorry. Got my words mixed up.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #29
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
Aren't those the benefits of deleting it ? Shouldn't you say "unless you are trying to make the car lighter, don't delete the moonroof"?
Yes, sorry. Got my words mixed up.
No problem! I agree with your thinking.
      12-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #30
**Jay-V**
What it do, nephew?
Rep
Drives: 2012 E350 Bluetec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
I'm in the delete it group. My M325i is on the slow boat from Germany right now. At just over 6 foot, with a long torso, it was needed for the autoX helmet clearance. As to the use of the moonroof. I've never used it in my current or previous cars so it is just weight, a moving part, and an annoyance to me. I also like the smooth top look.

Agreed. Helmet room and the slick top just looks so much better (personal opinion)...

'15 Fiat 500e
'14 MBZ E350 Sport
'11 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #31
wjones14
Captain
Rep

I sat in a 228i with moonroof today, and there was plenty of headroom. Way more than enough for a helmet.

I placed my order for an Alpine White M235i right after that, and included the moonroof. Hoping for an April 1 2015 delivery.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and opinions!
      12-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #32
rhinothatflies
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i X-Drive M-Sport w/THP

Out of curiosity: How much weight savings? And does the delete do anything to torsional rigidity? I'm aware the values are probably small, just wondering. I have no moon roof because I don't use it, didn't want to pay for it, and I get to enjoy the benefits of the delete as a bonus. Didn't get the Premium package because all I would miss are the ambient lighting and the lumbar support (can live without both). Don't need or want the rest of it. I'm happy BMW has the moonroof as an a la carte option. They should open up the restrictions in their options tree though. Still, they are no Audi. Jeez you can't get ANY options on a VAG car by itself. Almost NONE!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #33
rhinothatflies
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i X-Drive M-Sport w/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I sat in a 228i with moonroof today, and there was plenty of headroom. Way more than enough for a helmet.

I placed my order for an Alpine White M235i right after that, and included the moonroof. Hoping for an April 1 2015 delivery.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and opinions!
Four month wait? The hell? Why so long?!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #34
wjones14
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinothatflies View Post
Four month wait? The hell? Why so long?!
I don't know. She claimed that a Feb allocation was likely. Works for me since the roads here are covered with snow and salt until April anyway. Of course I would like the car in my garage now so I could go out and look at it and sit in it, but if I could pick a date, Apr 1 might be it.
      12-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #35
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I don't know. She claimed that a Feb allocation was likely. Works for me since the roads here are covered with snow and salt until April anyway. Of course I would like the car in my garage now so I could go out and look at it and sit in it, but if I could pick a date, Apr 1 might be it.
Should look up where the closest M dealer is. Not all BMW dealers are created equal. While the M235 may not a be a true M, its allocation apparently counts against M allocations when ordering. Not all dealers have the same number of M allocations either. The dealer I went with gets a number of them per month for being a M dealer, as opposed to 1 or 2 per month for all other dealers.

Congrats on the decision. But if you want it sooner, maybe check into dealerships with more M allocations - maybe NY or Boston will have more allocations available.