THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i or Xdrive

11-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #23
whoosh
Higher than you
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Great. That's what I plan on when the M235i xDrive Cabrio is available.
I also plan on running A/S RFTs in the winter, so I'm really curious as to how your 235 handles the snow, slush & ice this winter.
Please keep us posted on your experience.
All that weight of the cabrio!! Automatic transmission!! AWD and All-season tires!!!!!! !?!?!?!?!?! You should just buy a Lexussssss since you're not a purist like everyone else here!!!! </sarc>

Current: '15 M235iX | '15 Macan S | '00 Honda S2000
Notable Previous: '12 E92 335is | '10 STi | '88 E30 325iX
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #24
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post
I vote XDrive!

Me personally, I am getting the XDrive for the DRY grip. I had overpowered RWD cars in the past, and to me that isn't fun. I remember doing about 70mph in my 6MT 135i (N54 FBO+ 40% E85) and it was a LITTLE damp out on the freeway and I decide to pass somebody in SIXTH(6) gear!...gave a little throttle and car went sideways Good luck putting power down in 1st-3rd in a modded RWD 235.

Unless your talking pure CIRCUIT(track) performance or you enjoy wasting rubber(doing burnouts.) I would go with AWD. That is just because I am a 1/4 mile junky and love the feeling of a good 60' without DR's. I adore my modded EVO X because of how amazingly it can take off from a dig, and 1-3rd without spinning. It flies! Hate driving it everyday though(another story.)

That is why I'm going with the AWD, 235 with moonroof delete Should be a monster with a couple mods. For pure freeway assaults a fast RWD is cool I guess, but there is no way I'm doing something stupid like 60-130 pulls on public roads. Hence I prefer my power down low(1st-4th)

This is just my opinion on why I prefer XDRIVE. Others have different goals and different experiences.
Thats a good point. My 335 traction control was ALWAYS kicking in as i entered traffic almost causing more than one accident. In pouring rain up the back staright at Mosport my traction control light was on all the way up the hill.....scary.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #25
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Nothing wrong with xDrive at all. If it's as fun to drive as a RWD version (in your mind, don't worry about what others keep harping about), then get the M235 xDrive. I've driven both now and they're both a blast to drive. Can you wag the tail of one of them more than the other so that friends, neighbours and other drivers can see how cool you are? Absolutely. But add some rain, extreme cold or heaven forbid...snow...to the equation and that xDrive suddenly becomes the more competent of the two. And I'm factoring in snows for winter and summer rubber in the warmer months no matter what version we're discussing. And of course, I'm discounting track prowess where admittedly the RWD version will rule...by a little bit. But hey, unless you're a trackaholic, this last RWD perk don't mean squat to the majority of drivers anyways.

So go crazy, be different. Buck the trend, disgust some of our RWD aficionados who can only dream that their daily trips to Walmart or Wall Street are via the Nurburgring. Get the xDrive, bet you'll not regret it!
You can "wag the Tail" of an Audi and a rwd 235 but not an xdrive. RFT are EVIL.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #26
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Whats right for one person could be absolutely wrong for you...

This is a very personal decision based on all the considerations listed by some smart people:

• How good of a driver are you?
  • Do you track the car?
  • Are you willing to mess with snow tires or not?
  • Do you live in an area with significant snowfall, cold and inclement weather?
  • Does the extra $$ bust your budget for Xdrive?
  • Does the extra weight of Xdrive cause you to snivel, drool and shake slightly?
  • Do you lust for the bias of a RWD experience?

Address these questions for yourself and you'll have your answer.

Who cares what others think?
      11-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #27
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Nice to see the xDrive version of this car is getting a bit of attention 'cause it deserves it. Far too many "RWD only" snobs are pissing me (and a few others I presume) off, especially when a select few of them really haven't a clue as to what they're talking about. Having said that, RWD rocks but...and this a big BUT...I don't live in a climate that's RWD friendly year round and I enjoy being able to push my cars no matter what the weather or temp. Can I or could I give up a bit of the traditional BMW "feel" for an AWD version of one of their cars, particularly one of them slightly massaged by ///M? Absolutely.

Anyways, for those of you who took the plunge on our first North American M Performance car with xDrive...nice choice!!
      11-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #28
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
You can "wag the Tail" of an Audi and a rwd 235 but not an xdrive. RFT are EVIL.
Oh contraire my CDN brother...but only if 'ya try really, really hard. As for RFT's, anyone with a brain throws them away first chance they get and replaces them with PSS's.
      11-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #29
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

I like run-flats. They made my 128i corner like on rails, in fact surpassing even my M235i. Minor degradation in ride quality was worth it in my opinion. Maybe if I lived in Toronto with all the potholes I would hate run-flats but the roads are relatively smooth where I live.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #30
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Screw that... xDrive rocks !

I'd buy a BMW with xDrive over an Audi w/ Quattro everytime.
My guess is you don't have much experience with mechanical AWD setups or are just too locked into BMW. But the increased traction capabilities of mechanical AWD systems are well documented. But I don't think the OP was looking for emotional responses and more experienced reflections.

As others have noted, going RWD or AWD depends on your driving preferences, environmental considerations, and experience in inclement weather. If the snow is extreme (averaging over 6" on roads), you will need snow tires in either case (RWD or xDrive). With all seasons, my Audi could drive through over 12" of snow. I can only assume how incredible it would have been with a full set of studless winter tires based on fellow owners.

In either case, there usually comes a point when a sports car no longer suffices and a proper 4x4 truck is needed.
      11-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #31
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Screw that... xDrive rocks !

I'd buy a BMW with xDrive over an Audi w/ Quattro everytime.
My guess is you don't have much experience with mechanical AWD setups or are just too locked into BMW. But the increased traction capabilities of mechanical AWD systems are well documented. But I don't think the OP was looking for emotional responses and more experienced reflections.

As others have noted, going RWD or AWD depends on your driving preferences, environmental considerations, and experience in inclement weather. If the snow is extreme (averaging over 6" on roads), you will need snow tires in either case (RWD or xDrive). With all seasons, my Audi could drive through over 12" of snow. I can only assume how incredible it would have been with a full set of studless winter tires based on fellow owners.

In either case, there usually comes a point when a sports car no longer suffices and a proper 4x4 truck is needed.
You'd be guessing wrong.

IF I had to choose I'd go for the xDrive.

I have spent many winters driving both brands awd systems and quite frankly I do not like Quattro as much as xDrive on A/S tires, or full snows. Only the S5 with the active rear diff impressed me.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #32
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

If you're leasing, do what I did. If you have a 12k or 15k lease, you're very likely going to have to spring for a set of run flat tires before you return the car. Take the run flats off immediately when you get the car and replace them with PSS's or Conti Extreme Contact DWS's. Store the run flats in your garage (stacked in a corner works well). Just before lease, put the run flats back on and ditch the performance tires because they'll be shot by then. This way you return the car with not only RF's, but the exact ones that came with the car AND you get the benefit of a better ride for the time you own the car. You also save money because the RF's are far more expensive than the performance tires you're replacing them with. It's a win-win.

Quote:
Oh contraire my CDN brother...but only if 'ya try really, really hard. As for RFT's, anyone with a brain throws them away first chance they get and replaces them with PSS's.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #33
rhinothatflies
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i X-Drive M-Sport w/THP

Still fuming that 6MT isn't available on the X-Drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #34
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Entirely depends on whether or not you have to deal with hills. RWD with winters is more than fine in the Midwest for instance since it's so flat. East coast can be a challenge that said I'm in PA w RWD but this is not my only car. Most folks just need to be able to safely get home if weather starts getting bad anyway, if it's crap out you can stay home.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #35
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
If you're leasing, do what I did. If you have a 12k or 15k lease, you're very likely going to have to spring for a set of run flat tires before you return the car. Take the run flats off immediately when you get the car and replace them with PSS's or Conti Extreme Contact DWS's. Store the run flats in your garage (stacked in a corner works well). Just before lease, put the run flats back on and ditch the performance tires because they'll be shot by then. This way you return the car with not only RF's, but the exact ones that came with the car AND you get the benefit of a better ride for the time you own the car. You also save money because the RF's are far more expensive than the performance tires you're replacing them with. It's a win-win.

Exactly what I did Conti DW, not DWS (a/s).
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #36
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
I like run-flats. They made my 128i corner like on rails, in fact surpassing even my M235i. Minor degradation in ride quality was worth it in my opinion. Maybe if I lived in Toronto with all the potholes I would hate run-flats but the roads are relatively smooth where I live.
Regular tires will corner better. You need some give in sidewall. Ever notice racecars don't use RFT?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #37
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
? I've done it. Doughnuts in snow are easy. Easy on dry road and easier with Sport Diff.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #38
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi&gt;M235i&gt;428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
RFTs and AWD is for noobs

Big boys drive RWD

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #39
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

I can understand preferring RWD over AWD if that is based on experience with previous generation BMWs of a RWD with a sport suspension versus an xDrive without a sport suspension.

But with the M235i, and also with the 6 series from what I have read, you can get the same sport suspension with xDrive as with RWD, and its a no cost option on xDrive to get the summer performance tires.

You should now be able to do a driving comparison where the only difference is xDrive vs RWD. I would be very interested in an objective comparison.

Bruce
      11-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #40
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Great. That's what I plan on when the M235i xDrive Cabrio is available.
I also plan on running A/S RFTs in the winter, so I'm really curious as to how your 235 handles the snow, slush & ice this winter.
Please keep us posted on your experience.
all seasons in Canada? Don't you read the newspaper? Snow tire threads here? Wow.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #41
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
all seasons in Canada? Don't you read the newspaper? Snow tire threads here? Wow.
Yah. I do not need to go out on really bad days and I do not have the facility or ability to store winter wheels/tires. So A/S & xDrive will have to do.
BTW, I don't necessarily base my decisions on newspaper articles and/or thread opinions.
      11-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #42
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
RFTs and AWD is for noobs

Big boys drive RWD

Lol...love it!!
      11-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #43
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yah. I do not need to go out on really bad days and I do not have the facility or ability to store winter wheels/tires. So A/S & xDrive will have to do.
BTW, I don't necessarily base my decisions on newspaper articles and/or thread opinions.
FACT is that winters stop way shorter when its COLD (not necessarily snowy) than A/S. Its mandatory in Quebec for a reason......we have similar weather. Go to tirerack videos. On page 3 there is a great vid comparing a/s and winters in the cold on ice. You will need a second set of tires at some point. Why not by the correct and safe ones now? Your a/s will last twice as long. Tire stores will store your wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #44
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
FACT is that winters stop way shorter when its COLD (not necessarily snowy) than A/S. Its mandatory in Quebec for a reason......we have similar weather. Go to tirerack videos. On page 3 there is a great vid comparing a/s and winters in the cold on ice. You will need a second set of tires at some point. Why not by the correct and safe ones now? Your a/s will last twice as long. Tire stores will store your wheels.
Yah, I'm familiar with the facts.
If I needed to be out in bad winter weather I'd agree with you, but as I'm retired and can easily walk to whatever it is I may need or want (restaurants, groceries, pharmacy, etc), - I think that for the 5 - 10 days per year max we have snow covered roads in the area (close to lake in the GTA), I think it's an expense and PITA I can do without.
And, no, I won't necessarily need a 2nd set of tires at some point.
Just got rid of my 2008 128i Cabrio with 52,000 Kms after 6 1/2 years of ownership and still had the 1st set of A/S RFT tires 5/32" - 6/32" tread remaining).