THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Driver Assistance Package / Park Distance Control

12-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Driver Assistance Package / Park Distance Control

Hey folks,

I'm looking at purchasing a M240i and am a bit confused about some of the options. Mainly, I am trying to figure out the difference between the Driver Assistance Package and the Park Distance Control Option.

Now the Driver Assistance Package seems to include "Lane Departure Warning, Frontal Collision Warning, City Collision Mitigation, and Pedestrian Protection" in the Active Driving Assistant... BUT it also says:

It also makes parallel parking a breeze; using ultrasonic sensors in front and rear bumpers helps judge distance to other vehicles and objects.

This seems to overlap the functionality of Park Distance Control, which states"

"Park Distance Control uses ultrasonic sensors in the front and rear bumpers to help you judge the distance to other vehicles and unseen objects when parking. The system uses an audible warning that beeps faster the closer you get to an object, turning into a constant tone when the distance is less than 12 inches."

Could anyone help clear this up.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Park distance control is ( I think is ultra sonic sonar with a relatively short operational enviro ) sensors on bumper and an on/off switch on center console / strictly for detecting objects and sounding a tone.

The other driver aids use radar and sonar are connected to throttle/braking and steering - use more sophisticated computerization to address cruise control and the detection of vehicles their speed in a 360 degrees scan of the cars environ.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Park distance control is ( I think is ultra sonic sonar with a relatively short operational enviro ) sensors on bumper and an on/off switch on center console / strictly for detecting objects and sounding a tone.

The other driver aids use radar and sonar are connected to throttle/braking and steering - use more sophisticated computerization to address cruise control and the detection of vehicles their speed in a 360 degrees scan of the cars environ.
So I should go look at ones at the dealer, but if I'm understanding this, one gives you tones to distance from objects and the other gives you a visual representation of how close you are on the screen?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
So I should go look at ones at the dealer, but if I'm understanding this, one gives you tones to distance from objects and the other gives you a visual representation of how close you are on the screen?
No

One is for parking - beeping as you get close to objects.

The other is for cruise control that maintains a distance, blind spot detection while driving and parallel parking aid which confirms space size and parks car while you control gas and brake. - w/o me looking at specs to make sure all these features are included

All these cars come with rear view camera when transmission is placed in reverse
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Sunset Orange, Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
No

One is for parking - beeping as you get close to objects.

The other is for cruise control that maintains a distance, blind spot detection while driving and parallel parking aid which confirms space size and parks car while you control gas and brake. - w/o me looking at specs to make sure all these features are included

All these cars come with rear view camera when transmission is placed in reverse
Not sure if it’s different over the pond but the drive assist simply warns you with a picture of a red car on the dash if your speed is too fast compared to the car in front, same with pedestrians, And also warns if your coming out of lane without indicating by vibrating the wheel. Also has automatic braking in emergencys, but won’t actually stop the accident from happening, just preps the brakes. This does NOT come with front park sensors unless you choose the front and rear park sensor option.

Cruise control that maintains a distance is a different optional extra called active cruise control, this will maintain speed and break witn the car in front.

For the car to parallel Park you need Park assist.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2017, 06:20 AM   #6
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
PDC works mostly when you are going backwards.
Driver Assist is for when you are going forwards.
For what it's worth, I would not buy a car without PDC. The beeps are very helpful.
Driver assist is just another bell and whistle, IMHO.
It's great that they are still decoupled as separate options.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2017, 06:54 AM   #7
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

Additionally, the park distance system can be switched on when approaching an object such as a curb so you can protect your front end. Backing up is very nice because it works in conjunction with the camera to provide excellent active displays and sound.
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #8
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
OK got some clarification from my salesperson:

"The language on Build Your Own is not correct; the language there is from 2017 models, in which the rear camera and PDC were in the Driver Assistance Pkg"

So that explains my confusion with the language there. If you read the web BYO website, Driver Assistance Package should include PDC.

Wonder if any lawyer types challenge this?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
internalaudit
Rep
Drives: 8.5 gen Accord

Active Cruise Control with Stop Go is only made available in the 2018 MY right?

I didn't know what the difference between that and Dynamic Cruise Control until someone told me the latter was more to keep your speed when on a decline.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #10
ctemkin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

A couple of days ago I pulled alongside a parked car to parallel park and for some reason the parking sensor didn't turn itself on, and so I turned it on. When I put the car in reverse, I got a message to the effect of easing up on the gas and controlling the speed with the brake. The car then proceeded to park itself. I didn't know it could do that; obviously time for me to reread the manual. It was a little creepy, but the car did a pretty good job--it was not quite close enough to the curb.
Appreciate 1