THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Building a 228i. Questions

12-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
HelpMeChoose
Registered
Rep
Drives: soon to be 228

Building a 228i. Questions

Hello erudite 2addicts . Been lurking for a few months planning my purchase and learned a lot. I have a lot of respect for your thoughts and opinions.

Planning on a 228i

This will be my first BMW (coming from a v6 accord lol), and I'd like to keep the costs fairly low, and may hold onto this past warranty, so i'd like to minimize parts that may lead to potentially big repairs down the line, that aren't critical to me.

Consensus seems PSS brutalize the other choices, so I'd like go with those. Unlikely I track my car so I don't think I need the other THP options, so may put PSS on after buying the car by themselves. Reason I'm leaning against the adaptive suspension is possible added repair costs after warranty. Is it a reasonable expectation the adaptive suspension is more likely to have expensive issues post-warranty than the stock suspension? If I get 18" 384 wheels (mixed performance tires, which i think increase the speed limiter?), will pilot super sports fit on these?

I plan on buying not leasing, and driving 35-50 miles a day.

Truecar gives me a value ~40.8k. invoice is around 42.5k and msrp is 45k.
Is getting the truecar price attainable? (I'm in LA, so many dealerships)

I'm sure i have more questions, but can't think of them right now.

full planned build at bottom

Thanks for feedback! (sorry if i put in wrong section)

BSM, black dakota, fineline wood, lighting pkg, driver assistance pkg, premium pkg, tech pkg, black kidney grilles, HK, enhanced usb/bt, 8AT

Last edited by HelpMeChoose; 12-28-2015 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #2
dah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i convertible

I had the same reservation about the adaptive suspension. The dampers are a few hundred more and obviously should at least last 50k miles. You can also put in the normal sport dampers and code out the active option. Coding isn't that difficult. THP also gives the idrive option of 'chassis only' sport mode. That was important to me, because the steering is too light/loose in comfort, but the sport gear changes are too much for everyday driving, imo.

I did not notice a huge difference with and without runflats on short test drives. Runflats will get sidewall bubbles and no repairable punctures more often, and they cost more, lose-lose.

All the options add something for somebody, but here is my opinion. I coded on the enhanced Bluetooth, and I never use it. The std Bluetooth is adequate. HK isn't much of a step up either. The standard audio is ok and the HK is not the same as the 3 series and up. Fine line wood doesn't work for me in this car. The aluminum is a good contrast with black interior. I have had a few compliments on my standard gloss black - big improvement over the '15 silver plastic. I kind of regret not getting the tech pkg. I did not get the prem pkg since I wanted manual seats. I miss the auto dim mirrors and comfort access. The sensatec sport seats are fantastic, so I would only do leather if you wanted red or brown.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
Zweier
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lexus ES350

I just took delivery of my F23 cabrio with the Euro Delivery. I came from an e90 335d which was highly problematic with the erea tank/emission control systems. I am hoping the F23 will be significantly more reliable as it has relatively proven systems, i.e. the N20 is basically a lobbed off N55 engine and I am confident the twin turbos will go for a long time. I am a bit concerned about the ZF automatic transmission with xDrive though, and I wished we could get the manual trans with read drive on the convertible here in Canada. I opted for the tech package which gave me SatNav, heated seats, and what have you. I was reluctant to go with the Track Handling Package for the maintainability reasons you have suggested, though I wish I had it on the Autobahn as it gives you a top speed of 260kph vice 210 kph - I had Volkswagen Jettas giving me the high beams an passing me on the A8!!! But here in North America the car will never see these speeds again. The 2016s come with the M Sport Package which give your the M badging all over the car and some really good seats and steering wheel. The only extra I opted for was the leather seats as BMWs with the vinyl seats really make for a "cheap" feeling interior. I put 3000 km on the car while in Europe and am very satisfied with the car overall, though it doesn't have the punch of my 335d.

In short I would recommend this car to anyone. It is arguably the best value car BMW is offering right now - price vs. performance. The advice I'd give to you if you decide to go out of warranty with this or any German car is to prepare for some expensive repairs down the road. Price out a foot well control module for example which seems to be a common repair item and was one of the many things that went wrong with my e90.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #4
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Quote:
I wish I had it on the Autobahn as it gives you a top speed of 260kph vice 210 kph
I thought the 228i was only limited if you didn't get the Michelin PSS?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 12:31 AM   #5
m235hou
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post
run-flats will result in a lower speed limiter. I think with non-runflats, the speed limiter is set at 130mph (at least in the US).
      01-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #6
HelpMeChoose
Registered
Rep
Drives: soon to be 228

increased speed limiter is 155 i believe. PSS, as well as mixed summers (which i believe are runflats) get this, while All-seasons have top speed 130.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
Zweier
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lexus ES350

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post
I had a break in oil change at a BMW dealer in Munich. I asked about this and the service advisor stated all 228i in Germany are limited to 260 kph. My car came equipped with "V-rated" Pirelli Cinturato P7 all seasons. Different specs for different markets is suppose.
Appreciate 0