THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Allstate Drivewise program

06-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #23
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
I have Allstate. Phenomenal company I've had many. Even state farm. Allstate for me
Personally kicks ass. Anyway make sure if you try the drive wise, READ all the fine print! The information they gather can and will be shared with 3rd and 4th and 5th (you get the point) parties! I asked about this directly in my agents office and some of the agents didn't even know the fine print since they never read it. I passed on the $9 monthly savings. Not keen on sharing my personal driving info habits with anyone but myself.

Not how it works. You don't get dropped because you drive like an ass. It monitors safe driving habits etc...you blasting off 100mph highway cruises just doesn't qualify you for the Savings.
True, no savings for not drive safely.
However, the data about your particular driving is being monitored and still considered by your insurance company.
That allows them at any point to consider you a higher risk driver even if you don't have any official tickets, they still have the data that you are not driving in their idea of "safe driving". They can use that data to increase your premium. Of course you can protest and threaten to with another company. However, they have the data on your driving and they can give it or share it with any insurance company which will also then know that you are a higher risk driver and adjust their premium offer that may be higher than the increase premium your current company has given.

Allowing insurance to monitor this much is not positive in my view.
It doesn't violate privacy laws because you're allowing them to do it, and to get people to allow it is done by the prospect of a premium discount.
Well, if you don't have any tickets, then why are you not getting a greater discount to begin with?

Insurance is required by law, but how they operate is left up to the private insurance company. I have a problem with that, but I abide by the law.
But I will not easily allow them to monitor all of my driving, where I go, how I got there, etc...

"Electric Eye" by Judas Priest, this from around 1981-82:

Up here in space
I'm looking down on you.
My lasers trace
Everything you do.
You think you've private lives
Think nothing of the kind.
There is no true escape

I'm watching all the time.
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam.
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean.

I'm elected electric spy
I protected electric eye.
Always in focus
You can't feel my stare.
I zoom into you
You don't know I'm there.
I take a pride in probing all your secret moves
My tearless retina takes pictures that can prove.

Electric eye, in the sky
Feel my stare, always there
's nothing you can do about it.
Develop and expose
I feed upon your every thought
And so my power grows.
Protected. Detective. Electric eye.
Pretty much sums it all up.
      06-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #24
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Nice. Judas Priest quote. But yeah, that.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #25
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Not how it works. You don't get dropped because you drive like an ass. It monitors safe driving habits etc...you blasting off 100mph highway cruises just doesn't qualify you for the Savings.
Working for a company that farms big data, there are a lot of things we don't do. There are things we won't do. And there are things we don't do...yet.

But that doesn't mean we don't have the information and can't change our mind about things later on.

More importantly, that information now exists digitally. And as any girl who ever took a sexy picture on her cell phone can tell you - that can come back in regrettable ways years down the road.

For example, perhaps you end up in a traffic accident where the other person is seriously injured or killed. What is to stop another insurance agency from subpoenaing that information from Allstate. If the DMCA/Apple/Google lawsuits have taught us anything it's that a company which has data can be forced to hand that information over by a judge. Whether it's to sue you for downloading a movie or MP3 file or to request information on how fast you were traveling before a collision.

The legal precedent is already there. So to think that ~$10 a month savings is worth creating that pool of information for your insurance company, or anyone else to potentially have is crazy, even if you are a save and conservative driver.
      06-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #26
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon
Quote:
Working for a company that farms big data, there are a lot of things we don't do. There are things we won't do. And there are things we don't do...yet.

But that doesn't mean we don't have the information and can't change our mind about things later on.

More importantly, that information now exists digitally. And as any girl who ever took a sexy picture on her cell phone can tell you - that can come back in regrettable ways years down the road.

For example, perhaps you end up in a traffic accident where the other person is seriously injured or killed. What is to stop another insurance agency from subpoenaing that information from Allstate. If the DMCA/Apple/Google lawsuits have taught us anything it's that a company which has data can be forced to hand that information over by a judge. Whether it's to sue you for downloading a movie or MP3 file or to request information on how fast you were traveling before a collision.

The legal precedent is already there. So to think that ~$10 a month savings is worth creating that pool of information for your insurance company, or anyone else to potentially have is crazy, even if you are a save and conservative driver.
I totally agree especially with your last paragraph. Not sure if you saw my entire original post but that's why I stated that a $9 monthly savings and the info they gather and sell to 3rd parties is just not worth it.

You're giving people ammo for a gun aimed at your face.

However at this point the drive wise system that gathers data will not exactly warrant Allstate to drop you because you're doin 90 on the freeway. Not at this point. It will not get you the 10% discount, obviously. But yes down the road the possibilities are endless with the data they collect and who knows even store somewhere.

Down the road may even be next week or next year...but for what it's worth what I can control and who sees it remains my choosing and I choose not to use drive wise because that's too much personal intrusion for me.
      06-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #27
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon
I've run a BT OBD2 sensor (no name one off Amazon) and didn't notice any issues with battery drain that would have been a problem.

If you plan to leave the car idle for a long period of time, I imagine you could probably rip it out before putting the car away.

I should get one of these and then stick it on my mother in laws car. "According to this you drive 3 miles a week and never exceed 25mph!"
Unfortunately it reads the VIN of your car when you set it all up online and its married to your vehicle so to speak. And it monitors "that" particular vehicle.

For each vehicle you own they will give you a device. Transferring the drive wise to your grandmas 1994 Crown Victoria is wishful thinking but it won't work as they have come up for that solution in advance to prevent cheating
      06-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #28
blitzjb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtlwulf View Post
Just curious, my insurance agent enrolled me in this Drivewise program and I'm a bit skeptical about using it since I heard that it can drain your battery

Anyone ever tried/uses it currently?
Always use an independent agent that represents many different carriers.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #29
blitzjb
Private
Rep

Always use an Independent Insurance Agent. They work for you, not "the man". They represent many carriers and will always properly protect your assets. Proper coverage is the key, not the lowest price.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #30
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzjb View Post
Always use an Independent Insurance Agent. They work for you, not "the man". They represent many carriers and will always properly protect your assets. Proper coverage is the key, not the lowest price.
Well, let's not get too far ahead.

When I bought the M235xi and added it to our policy, my independent agent worked up a total cost for our two existing cars plus the BMW and shopped it against all the companies they represent. Best price she could come up with was $2814/yr.

Using the same coverage limits and working with one of the national online companies, I was able to get coverage for all 3 cars for $1566. I'll pay something extra to have a representative, but not an extra $1250 / 80%.

There was one major difference. All of the local independent agents use the same set of Massachusetts based insurance companies. All of them use the same rule when allocating drivers' claim ratings against the cars on the policy - the driver with the most surcharge points (my wife) goes against the most expensive car (my BMW). Very big cost involved. The national online company allocates points by who is the registered owner of the car. My wife's points went against her Subaru. My lack of points went against the BMW. Massive cost differences resulted.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #31
blitzjb
Private
Rep

MA has odd auto insurance requirements. Coverage is more important than price. Always read your polices carefully.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #32
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzjb View Post
MA has odd auto insurance requirements. Coverage is more important than price. Always read your polices carefully.
Massachusetts has odd risk assessment and carrier assignment strategies, but the policies themselves are straightforward and presented on the same form across the board, which allows easy comparison between companies. The coverages on both the policies presented to me were identical. The prices were not.

More to the point, "my" agent was unable (or unwilling, functionally the same thing) to deal with the underwriter to move my wife's surcharge points from my car to hers. Dealing directly with the company via its phone service line allowed me to do so.

"Independent" agents are not the panacea they are often made out to be.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #33
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Unfortunately it reads the VIN of your car when you set it all up online and its married to your vehicle so to speak. And it monitors "that" particular vehicle.

For each vehicle you own they will give you a device. Transferring the drive wise to your grandmas 1994 Crown Victoria is wishful thinking but it won't work as they have come up for that solution in advance to prevent cheating
I'm curious since I see you here on the 2 series forum as well, are you considering going to an M235i?

I put an order in the other day, but I'm still not sure, especially with the upgrades the BMW did to the 2016 335i.
I wish the M235i got the upgrades this year as well.
If I lease a 2016 the 2017 will be the upgrade/facelift for the 2 series, and I may regret getting the 2016.

BMW's timing just SUCKS!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #34
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
Nice. Judas Priest quote. But yeah, that.
LOL
From my much more youthful days.
I think that album came out when I was 16yrs old, and I'll be 50 in October!

Interesting though that that song had future insights.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #35
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I'm curious since I see you here on the 2 series forum as well, are you considering going to an M235i?

I put an order in the other day, but I'm still not sure, especially with the upgrades the BMW did to the 2016 335i.
I wish the M235i got the upgrades this year as well.
If I lease a 2016 the 2017 will be the upgrade/facelift for the 2 series, and I may regret getting the 2016.

BMW's timing just SUCKS!
Bmw has THEEEEE worst timing. Always seems like they're waiting on Audi and Merc to release stuff and then act. Seems that way anyway.

No M235i but I do have (well my wife) a 228i M Sport. I hang out on all the BMW forums when I can, just to learn.
      06-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #36
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Bmw has THEEEEE worst timing. Always seems like they're waiting on Audi and Merc to release stuff and then act. Seems that way anyway.

No M235i but I do have (well my wife) a 228i M Sport. I hang out on all the BMW forums when I can, just to learn.
I see. Good for you.

Yeah I'm just not positive on this switch to an M235i.
I test one the other day and it was nice, sportier and tighter over all compared to my 335i Msport. But, it didn't feel any faster or more powerful even though the engine is rated higher. In fact my 335i felt stronger. I got back into my 335i and drove the same roads and it felt stronger on accel.
The engine sounds cooler in the M235i, and there is a distinct turbo whistle that I don't hear in my 335i. I don't know if that's unique to the M235i or just this particular M235i.

The 2 series interior is rather boring and kind low rent really.
It's not any nicer than what my 135i had back in 2009.

I really wanted to love the M235i more than I do.
After a test drive I'm more confused.
The M235i I ordered won't even be here until the end of September.
Maybe I should just wait until the 2015 335i comes on the lot and then test drive before deciding?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #37
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I see. Good for you.

Yeah I'm just not positive on this switch to an M235i.
I test one the other day and it was nice, sportier and tighter over all compared to my 335i Msport. But, it didn't feel any faster or more powerful even though the engine is rated higher. In fact my 335i felt stronger. I got back into my 335i and drove the same roads and it felt stronger on accel.
The engine sounds cooler in the M235i, and there is a distinct turbo whistle that I don't hear in my 335i. I don't know if that's unique to the M235i or just this particular M235i.

The 2 series interior is rather boring and kind low rent really.
It's not any nicer than what my 135i had back in 2009.

I really wanted to love the M235i more than I do.
After a test drive I'm more confused.
The M235i I ordered won't even be here until the end of September.
Maybe I should just wait until the 2015 335i comes on the lot and then test drive before deciding?
I can definitely elaborate and state that the materials used in the 2 series are of cheaper lower quality since we have an f30 and an F22 sitting in our garage. It's the pecking order. 2er is entry level pretty much in the USA. The door panels is what really turned me off, theyr extremely hard and dense even in the leather areas.

As far as a F30 335i feeling stronger then an M235i, I can't agree on that. I owned another F30 335 prior to my current one and test drove an M235 and it defientely feels faster, sounds better, and corners better. It's basically a 100lb lighter car with the standard MPPK.

Can't really tell you which one to go with but I do want an M235i except they don't "make it".....in a 4 door. So I have to turn to an f30. Actually without any regrets my f30 is exactly how you feel a bit more up class. And I prefer the wider look and the meaner Msport front end. With that being said...if there was an M235i available in sedan form in the USA I would choose it over all and hoping that they'd produce and M2 4 door as well. But I'll just keep on sipping on this hope cool aid